Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Dem Broncos!!!
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy back in Cali had this happen.

This bike has never seen the track and he runs about an average pace in the canyons. The rear tire has a few tears in it.

He experienced but as you can tell by looking at the tire, he wasn't pushing them to the limit. And check out the wear bars. This tire still has a lot of meat left.

So maybe now all you q3 fan boys will listen to me when I say that Bridgestone>Dunlop :infrandom

You've been warned. :D

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1405070159.013350.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1405070307.068576.jpg

P.s. Yes he warmed them up. Yes they were at the correct psi. No he doesn't do burnouts. The date stamp was march of this year.

·
Registered
861 Posts
We actually saw that nearly exact thing at the track a few months back on a set of Dunlop race tires.

The local dunlop guy wouldnt do anything for him (they had maybe 20 laps on them) so he came to us at Pirelli to give our stuff a try. He went 1 second faster so I dont think it became an issue for him :p

·
CCS/ASRA Expert #77
10,715 Posts
I read somewhere that a lot of the Q3's were stored cold in shipment, and this was the outcome. I'll try to find that source.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
We actually saw that nearly exact thing at the track a few months back on a set of Dunlop race tires.

The local dunlop guy wouldnt do anything for him (they had maybe 20 laps on them) so he came to us at Pirelli to give our stuff a try. He went 1 second faster so I dont think it became an issue for him :p
Dammit. :Laughing: Good thing I get good takeoffs. If any issues are going to develop, I hope they pop up before I get them. :eek:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,217 Posts
I saw similar splits a couple of years back with the Q2s also.

It seems to be pretty rare and sporadic. None reported any tire failures from the splits in the tread material.

This is not good but I've never had the problem and still think the Q3s are the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I remember seeing this happen on other tires as well, I would hope that Dunlop would replace them? I have a set being delivered today so I do hope this is rare.

·
Registered
861 Posts
To be fair, manufacturing issues can crop up with ANY tire. I am not defending Dunlop (mostly because I hate their tires) but I have seen weird things on all brands of tires over the years, even my beloved Pirellis.

We saw a lot of funky stuff when multi-compound tires first came on the scene. A lot of separation troubles where the two compounds met, etc.

The moral of the story is to actually LOOK at your tires. So many people dont even check their tire pressures more than once a year.

Check pressures, look for odd wear (you can tell a lot about your riding and suspension from tire wear), and check for debris.

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,684 Posts
Will be watching for this. Stayed away from Dunlop for years due to their previous delaminating issues and only raced on Michelins so hope these Q3s hold up. For the street, worth a shot at the price.

·
Registered
326 Posts
im almost through my first set of q3's and have had no issues with them. theyve seen lots of aggressive street riding, no track use yet as i run slicks but theyll end up on the track soon just to finish off the sides. i run them 32/32 cold on the street, even toss my wife on the back here and there and ive had no problems with them. im far from a dunlop fanboy i just buy whats affordable that works well. ive run super corsa's and loved them. another favorite was the rosso corsa, great on the street and track and has a lot of life in it, the q3's are nice, ive run several sets of d211's on the street with no issues as well. my buddy is currently on r10's and besides the ridiculous pace they wear at he loves them. maybe just a few bad dunlops floating around out there?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts