Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently posted about hitting a nasty pothole on my Blueberry. Destroyed the front wheel and left a nice flat spot on the rear. If I'm going to replace both wheels, I'd like to go with some nice blue wheels to match the bike. Would you trust them to use for somewhat frequent riding? I commute 164 miles a day to work round trip. Do you think those blue 07 gsxr 600 wheels on ebay would be fine? I'd replace bearings with OEM, But would they be structurally sound to ride on without worrying about having the spokes shatter on the smallest potholes? Or should i just suck it up and save for some OEM quality?

·
Premium Member
8,217 Posts
I'm in for the comments.

Without testing, I'm not sure how someone can comment on the quality and structural integrity of the knock off wheels.

Anecdotal comments of "they fit and worked for me" may be valid for the Starbucks rider and not so for track, drag or even spirited riding use.

The metallurgy would be my main concern. It is a bummer to have a wheel bend but it could be a disaster if it breaks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in for the comments.

Without testing, I'm not sure how someone can comment on the quality and structural integrity of the knock off wheels.

Anecdotal comments of "they fit and worked for me" may be valid for the Starbucks rider and not so for track, drag or even spirited riding use.

The metallurgy would be my main concern. It is a bummer to have a wheel bend but it could be a disaster if it breaks.

Lol that's why I'm here Brother. Hopefully someone can give me some life experiences with them.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Buy a used OEM. The knock-offs are shit, always have been shit, probably always will be shit. The end.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have been juggling the idea of those chinese rims as well. Only because finding a front rim for my '95 at a reasonable price has been difficult at best. I have to add that they don't LOOK very strong, and as John pointed out, the metallurgy is a major concern. They are likely a cheap die cast "pot" metal... I'm still holding out on a good deal for used OEM.

·
Registered
500 Posts
There are plenty of forum posts with people buying the counterfeit wheels and having them literally shatter or break, and they are usually much heavier than stock, too. I would not trust them on my car, and the only reason I'd put them on a motorcycle is because it's one that would never be ridden. The consequences of a no-name wheel breaking on you can be fatal; is being cheap really worth your life?

https://www.google.com/search?q=replica+wheels+breaking&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=LExKPQo4LPVBvM%3A%2CySN4e2pX3yIFLM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kTFoBgnPmZOWc-mBNmq8qwjj392YQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjMjofI25DeAhUHWa0KHfcFB8QQ9QEwAHoECAIQBA#imgrc=XvC0JTWmCXnXCM:

·
Registered
130 Posts
There are plenty of forum posts with people buying the counterfeit wheels and having them literally shatter or break, and they are usually much heavier than stock, too. I would not trust them on my car, and the only reason I'd put them on a motorcycle is because it's one that would never be ridden. The consequences of a no-name wheel breaking on you can be fatal; is being cheap really worth your life?

https://www.google.com/search?q=replica+wheels+breaking&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=LExKPQo4LPVBvM%3A%2CySN4e2pX3yIFLM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kTFoBgnPmZOWc-mBNmq8qwjj392YQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjMjofI25DeAhUHWa0KHfcFB8QQ9QEwAHoECAIQBA#imgrc=XvC0JTWmCXnXCM:
I was going to post that there *could* be some ebay wheels that are OK to use if they are a reputable brand (Marchesini, Carrozzeria, etc.). Are you saying even some of these are knock offs?

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
As long as they're factory Suzuki wheels and seller guarantees them straight, probably good.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
I was going to post that there *could* be some ebay wheels that are OK to use if they are a reputable brand (Marchesini, Carrozzeria, etc.). Are you saying even some of these are knock offs?
OEM or what Demon said you don't fuck around with wheels ask Joey Dunlop RIP

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I've seen a lot of "eBay" questions basically saying eBay is a brand. eBay is a marketplace where you can buy new OEM, used OEM, good aftermarket, and crap aftermarket. So if you're going to ask if a wheel is good, or a brake lever is good, state the brand or show the listing.

I've bought an OEM frame, fork, and wheel. I've bought Brembo brake parts, Yamaha OEM parts, and various other brand name parts. I've also purchased super cheap knock off items.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
OEM or what Demon said you don't fuck around with wheels ask Joey Dunlop RIP

Yeah. I watched Road this past week. What a legend!

I’m pretty sure though that his wheel that disintegrated was not made in China and bought for $.99 with free shipping.

I agree wholeheartedly with you. If you want wheels buy good ones from a reputable source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
CCS/ASRA Expert #77
10,715 Posts
If you question it, or always questioning it, it's not worth it.

When it comes to motorcycles, if it doesn't inspire, or culture confidence... it's a no go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts