Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Bought a spare ECU & sent it off to Schnitz Racing for a flash. Plugged it in & seems to work fine but really haven't noticed much difference. Could be because this time of year I'm not out doing much more than just tooling around & not getting into the upper RPM range. Just passed 5400 miles on the bike since I bought it last Feb & just starting to explore performance mods. Already put some Core Moto SS brake lines on her and got the Woolich Racing USB D v3 setup & installed the harnesses so I can read the ECU on a laptop (which I still need to buy).

Anyway, just wondering if there is any info available from the ECU flashing gurus around here. Really just looking into it right now & trying to learn the how-to's and why-for's before going in & making any changes. I find it puzzling how one can tune the bike (very well anyway) without a dyno hook-up, and the Woolich kit I got doesn't seem to be set-up for that but I really don't know enough about it yet. Kept the original ECU untouched so I can always reinstall it if needed.

Any advice or sharing of experience would be well appreciated.

·
Registered
266 Posts
There's also another system called Flash ECU. There's alot of features you can adjust.

There's even cases where people make their own wiring system & use a generic software to flash.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's also another system called Flash ECU. There's alot of features you can adjust.

There's even cases where people make their own wiring system & use a generic software to flash.
I found a program called EcuFlash by Tactrix that looks to be for reflashing cars but not sure if that's the one you're referring to. Searching for "ECU Flash" turns up lots of pages that talk about flashing ecu's but haven't found a program with that name. I picked the Woolich set-up because it's model specific (they have setups for a lot of different models) and it comes with harnesses that are made to plug into existing connections on the bike (didn't have to cut a single wire to install it) and they also have a MapShare service where you can use fuel and ignition maps created by others for various configurations of exhaust systems etc. For $318 it seems like an affordable system for folks to use as a trainer and learn the basics of ecu flashing.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I was taking about these guys. I was very close to buying these guys until it locks itself to 1 ecu. What if you sold your bike or change an ecu?

I end up getting a power commander.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was taking about these guys. I was very close to buying these guys until it locks itself to 1 ecu. What if you sold your bike or change an ecu?

I end up getting a power commander.
The Woolich Racing system also limits the number of ECU's that can be flashed but they will sell more 'keys' so more can be done. Makes sense I suppose, if I were them I wouldn't want someone buying one system then using it to reflash hoards of bikes for profits that I wasn't getting a cut of. Not sure how it works if you change an ECU but I expect a buyer could have it reflashed by someone else if they wanted to.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The Woolich Racing system also limits the number of ECU's that can be flashed but they will sell more 'keys' so more can be done. Makes sense I suppose, if I were them I wouldn't want someone buying one system then using it to reflash hoards of bikes for profits that I wasn't getting a cut of. Not sure how it works if you change an ECU but I expect a buyer could have it reflashed by someone else if they wanted to.
Key system is a good idea but I d like to have at least 2 ecus with the purchase.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The more ride time I get in, the more differences I am noticing with the spare ECU I had reflashed at Schnitz. So far it's mostly at commuting speeds when observing posted speed limits, it just doesn't feel as smooth and crisp as the stock ECU. Not very noticeable really but sometimes it kind of feels the way the bike does when it hasn't fully warmed up yet. Not sluggish, just not all the way there if that makes any sense.

They increased the rpm limit to 15k (doesn't seem very useful since I'm not out on a track balls to the wall) and they removed the top speed restriction (I think this is just a speedo display thing and has nothing to do with the actual speed the bike is capable of). They also disabled the O2 sensor, and here I think this just means they disabled the fault it would throw if I removed the O2 sensor on the exhaust.

They set the secondary throttle blades to "open more aggressively and stay open". For this one, it think it should give real performance improvement but I haven't explored those areas of rpm/speeds yet so I don't really know.

As soon as I can either get a laptop or a cable long enough to connect to my desktop in the house, I want to do a "read ECU" on both ECU's so I can look at both to see what the differences look like, particularly in the fuel and ignition maps. Hopefully I'll be able to learn a little more about this whole ECU flashing business.

·
Registered
266 Posts
You can remove the ecu & take it in your house.

Have you noticed a decrease in fuel economy? These flashes generally messes with the fueling when you shut the throttle off.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can remove the ecu & take it in your house.

Have you noticed a decrease in fuel economy? These flashes generally messes with the fueling when you shut the throttle off.
Woolich does have a $118 bench flashing harness to do that but I have not ordered it yet, so I only have the on-bike harness at this point. The jury is still out on the MPG. I've recorded every fuel purchase since buying the bike and am averaging 45.9 mpg. My most recent fill-up, using approx half with the stock ECU and half with the flashed ECU, came in at 43.6 mpg and is well within the min/max mpg range I have so far. Time will tell!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Woolich does have a $118 bench flashing harness to do that but I have not ordered it yet, so I only have the on-bike harness at this point. The jury is still out on the MPG. I've recorded every fuel purchase since buying the bike and am averaging 45.9 mpg. My most recent fill-up, using approx half with the stock ECU and half with the flashed ECU, came in at 43.6 mpg and is well within the min/max mpg range I have so far. Time will tell!
Aftermarket fueling generally adds fuel to the engine after you close the throttle to smoothen out rideability. This eliminates jerkiness at the expense of fuel consumption.

Something to think about.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Making headway on the laptop, IT/PAT guy at work is hooking me up with one for $100. We'll be back to work Monday & he's bring it in then. In the meantime, I'll be putting in some ride time over the weekend and will get some more mpg #'s to see where I'm at on that. If it's 60 miles per tank I'm reinstalling the stock ECU! & saving the spare for experimentation & track days when I get to where I can do that.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had my 08 liter flashed and maybe that's why I'm only getting less than 100 miles per tank. Average is maybe 60 miles per tank full.
Ouch, I hope it doesn't drop it that much. Seems like I'd spend more time refilling than riding lol

·
Registered
266 Posts
I installed the power commander for my 04 750. The thing backfired like crazy. Messed around with the fueling & it was the close throttle deceleration. Removed the fuel from that & consumption was better. Depending on the gear different ratio can be used.

It's quite interesting actually & it takes alot of time. There's alot of information there.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I installed the power commander for my 04 750. The thing backfired like crazy. Messed around with the fueling & it was the close throttle deceleration. Removed the fuel from that & consumption was better. Depending on the gear different ratio can be used.

It's quite interesting actually & it takes alot of time. There's alot of information there.
Right now this is just a learning platform for me because I find it interesting and want to learn how to do it, much like suspension setups for different riding conditions. Performance improvement is part of it of course, that just isn't my main objective; for me it's much more about learning how to improve performance.

I've read some about backfire issues, typically caused by changing an exhaust setup without making the necessary changes to the ECU for proper fueling, so I want to know the in's & out's of that before I even think about changing the exhaust. I have no problem with the stock exhaust & won't consider changing it until I think I have reached improvement limitations with it. I have a long way to go and that process a big part of the fun of it all>>>and most importantly gives time for more riding practice to improve my riding skills.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yes it's alot of fun. There's tons of information in there & lots of switches you can change. I'm not sure about the Woolich, but the Ftecu you can adjust when the rad fan comes on & when to switch off, eliminate top speed restrictions & redline restrictions.

There's a few things I want to tweak in my ecu & never figure if it can be done, but if you figure anything let me know. I want to know if you can adjust the compression ratio to use different types of fuel. And initially when you start the bike the idle runs rich until you touch the throttle. I wonder if we can prolong that rich period.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes it's alot of fun. There's tons of information in there & lots of switches you can change. I'm not sure about the Woolich, but the Ftecu you can adjust when the rad fan comes on & when to switch off, eliminate top speed restrictions & redline restrictions.

There's a few things I want to tweak in my ecu & never figure if it can be done, but if you figure anything let me know. I want to know if you can adjust the compression ratio to use different types of fuel. And initially when you start the bike the idle runs rich until you touch the throttle. I wonder if we can prolong that rich period.
My reasons for selecting no on the options below were based on my limited understanding of the bike so far, and I enjoy letting others know what I'm doing because the knowledge from others is invaluable. If anyone has pro/con advice, please feel welcome to share! Can’t wait to get it hooked up to the laptop next week so I can do the Read ECU function with the Woolich software & start learning what it can do but I’m already kicking myself in the butt for not spending the extra $ for the Log Box D v3 setup instead of the USB D v3. With the Log Box & memory card it can use, I could be recording live engine data while riding. Oh well, live & learn & just another reason to get another toy!

Options (selected no on all)
Disable PAIR Valve: No (don’t want to clog the catalytic converter w/unburned fuel).
Disable Exhaust Servo: No (still have stock exhaust).
Disable Idle Solenoid Control: No (didn’t because I don’t know its function).
Disable Steering Damper: No (still have stock damper).
Disable Coil FI: No (don’t have a quick-shifter, so don’t need to cut ignition for shifting).
Adjust Options to Match Exhaust: No (don’t need to change the bin file for an aftermarket exhaust).

The following were done:
Suzuki GSXR750 (11-19) Reflash Features:
Increased Rev Limiter to 15,000RPM (+500rpm over stock)
Top Speed Restriction Removed
Secondary Throttle Blades Open More Aggressively and Stay Open
Ignition Timing Retard Disabled
Stock O2 Sensor Disabled
Radiator Fan Set to Come On at 90*C (194*F)

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are a couple of screenshots of the Woolich software. One is the main menu & the other is the advanced settings that can be changed. Appears to be a fairly robust program that allows for many system & tuning options.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

This is the 3D view of the stock fuel map, which can also be viewed/edited in 2D

1 - 20 of 55 Posts