Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to look at a 07 750 with full exhaust and he said it didnt have a power commander but an ecu tune.
The topic was a little hard to search but i know i read something a while ago.

Any ecu tune knowledge would be useful.
Is this a good way to do the tuning or is there some higher chance of something going wrong?

Why doesnt everyone do it? The dealership where he got the work done was saying it was the best way to do it. but he mentioned the backfire would burn the hair off his legs..
Also it was never put on a dyno so how do they know the mixture is right?

Also he said the FI light came on after the Full exhaust but they disconnected something... and i assume he was talking about the SET valve? But he wasnt sure if they removed the cables and motor..

Well thanks for your time and im sure ill have more questions when i get more info.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
The air/fuel mixture in EFI engines is controlled by a table of fuel flow values for specific throttle positions and RPM's, corrected for inlet air temperature and inlet air pressure. And in some cases, by exhaust oxygen level.

This can be changed by one of two methods: 1) an aftermarket module that offsets the fuel map, like a Power Commander can be installed and tuned, or 2) the ECU itself can be reflashed, with a new fuel map.

The pros of 2) is that you don't have to buy a Power Commander or other ECU plug-in. The cons are that if you botch the map, you may not be able to restore the factory map, and you can only reflash the ECU a limited number of times.

Read up on Power Commanders, in the Tech FAQ section. They, or other similar modules are easier to tune, have support, and you an always unplug it if something goes South.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Also with the ecu tune you are tuning with both sets of injectors unlike the pc3 that only changes the uppers. I had my ecu tuned and the bike runs great. It was done on a factory pro dyno

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cons are that if you botch the map, you may not be able to restore the factory map, and you can only reflash the ECU a limited number of times.
Thats the kind of thing i was worried about.

Also with the ecu tune you are tuning with both sets of injectors unlike the pc3 that only changes the uppers. I had my ecu tuned and the bike runs great. It was done on a factory pro dyno
How would they tune the ecu without a dyno? Because he said it was never dynod

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
Oh, good point.

How would they tune the ecu without a dyno? Because he said it was never dynod
They can't really "tune" without a dyno, all they can do is load another map in, which is a crapshoot. To tune properly, the motor need to be run over a range of loads and speeds, and adjustments made at various throttle settings.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what i figured. Hopeing maybe someone would know about maybe a plug in system that you could just drive down the road with and save the map or something...

So is there anything specific i should look for to tell if its screwed.

I guess im going to call the shop again and see how they "tune" it without a dyno...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.