Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my low beam with an HID kit last night. The kit looks great and seems to run fine. I was taking the bike to go grab something from an Autozone just down the road, I put it in first gear, hear a funny sound and now my gauge cluster, brake lights, blinkers, etc., don't work anymore. The headlights (hi and low) both work fine though. I'm sure I popped a fuse but can anyone tell me why :headscrat or at least point me in the right direction? I don't want to replace a fuse just to blow it again. Thanks all.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just replaced my low beam with an HID kit last night. The kit looks great and seems to run fine. I was taking the bike to go grab something from an Autozone just down the road, I put it in first gear, hear a funny sound and now my gauge cluster, brake lights, blinkers, etc., don't work anymore. The headlights (hi and low) both work fine though. I'm sure I popped a fuse but can anyone tell me why :headscrat or at least point me in the right direction? I don't want to replace a fuse just to blow it again. Thanks all.[/QUOTE

How many watts the original and how many the HID kit, and where the energy come from?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many watts the original and how many the HID kit, and where the energy come from?
The original wattage is 55W and I don't know on the HID. I couldn't find the specs on it but it's either 55W or 35W. I just don't understand why I could turn the bike on and everything looked fine until I put it in gear. That's when the problems started.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
it’s just a fuse you will never know till you try. that is weird it popped when put into gear and not just on start up. maybe putting in gear jerked it just enough to move a wire not fully connected. Keep us posted cause I was getting ready to do it to my 03 750. Is it pretty much plug and play? I have heard that in some cases they pull too much power and can melt the headlight housing.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
it’s just a fuse you will never know till you try. that is weird it popped when put into gear and not just on start up. maybe putting in gear jerked it just enough to move a wire not fully connected. Keep us posted cause I was getting ready to do it to my 03 750. Is it pretty much plug and play? I have heard that in some cases they pull too much power and can melt the headlight housing.
I think the ballast just has to be pulling too much power. But again I just can't get it outta my head that it all worked fine until I put it into gear. I just went to Autozone and got a couple more fuses. I'll keep everyone posted. Of course it started pouring rain as soon as I left my driveway so I had to drive in the rain with no brake lights, blinkers, and what not. Also...I'm wet...I think maybe I made Someone mad...cuz this is my luck lately...

Oh, and it's all plug and play. As far as melting anything those people are just misinformed or bought HID kits with too much power. Most decent kits come rated at 35W and go up from there. Consider that the standard H7 is 55W and you can see that makes no sense. I've yet to see a pic of a melted headlamp from an HID kit so I'll just go with that. :D

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dunno, I put in another fuse then powered her up and put her in 1st and 2nd and everything works like a charm. I don't understand but I'll just take it as it is. Now on to my other problems. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
+1 loos wire or one that is rubbed to bare wire and is shorting to ground. and the only reason it did it when ya shifted to first was it moved the bike enough to show the problem to or it was jst a coincidence.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.