Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was just wondering how many miles on average can the gsxr engine last before it needs to be rebuilt. Just like a rough estimate, I know how its ridden factors in alot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well then does anyone own a bike thats over 25,000 to 30,000 miles and is still functioning well. And if so how many miles does it have.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
My 750 Nighthawk had over 100K on it when I sold it, and it ran perfectly fine. Modern sportbike engines are much better than the Nighthawk's engine was.

The problem with stats like that on sportbikes is that they rarely live to a ripe old age. They usually end up in the hands of squids at some point in their life cycle, who normally wreck them. That's why you see so many serviceable engines on Ebay.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to get 100 - 200K out of a modern sportbike engine as long as you maintain it and use good oil. Racing of course will suck the life out of an engine over time.

I'm not sure how you would go about a rebuild, though. Gsxr cylinders are electroplated at the factory, which is how they are able to last without steel liners. I suppose you would have to either put sleeves in or re-electroplate the wear coating on the cylinder wall if you bored it out. Maybe the engine rebuilder types know more about this.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Mister Tee said:
I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to get 100 - 200K out of a modern sportbike engine as long as you maintain it and use good oil. Racing of course will suck the life out of an engine over time.

I'm not sure how you would go about a rebuild, though. Maybe the engine rebuilder types know more about this.
Sounds to me like you don't know enough to even be commenting on this subject. I know I haven't seen many "Sport" bikes with more than about 25K miles on them....Not saying they cant......Just that they usually don't.

·
Registered
783 Posts
So, my 05 gsxr 1000 engine is at 12k miles and I'm half way to a rebuild? I don't think so. Good thing I bought the YES warranty :laughingr They are gunna rebuild it a few times then.

If we change the oil every 4000 miles ... thats a rebuild every six oil changes. Does it get better with synthetic? :rofl:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Sounds to me like you don't know enough to even be commenting on this subject. I know I haven't seen many "Sport" bikes with more than about 25K miles on them....Not saying they cant......Just that they usually don't.
What?

So because someone doesnt know how to rebuild an engine they are not qualified to state the obvious??

Any modern engine if looked after properly, irrespective of type of bike, is more than capable of running hundreds of thousands of miles. At what exact point it would require rebuilding is a total unknown as we all ride and maintain our bikes differently.

Either where you are is full of squids that write their bikes off at a ripe young age or folks that have lots of cash that can afford to change them frequently.

I know of a lot of sportbikes that have very high mileage. Since they are not mine I cannot comment on whether they have required rebuilding but I do know they are very well looked after.

·
Banned
63 Posts
u dont see many sportbikes over 20k miles cuz ppl crash them so much hahah, i have an r6 with 36000 miles, been stunted its whole life. and i know a guy who has 52000 miles on his gsxr 1000 that he's still stunts with, original clutch and all.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have an 05 GSXR 600 and I put 19000+ miles in less than 1yr. As of right now I have 21000 and it is exactly 1yr 3months old. My bike runs GREAT and has no problems. I change my oil every 2000miles when I run Suzuki DINO oil, 4000miles when I run synthetic blend oil. I have never run a fully synthetic oil but that would be the best oil you could run. Its all about how you take care of your bike. I stunt if you call stuntin' Stopies, Stand ups (AND SIT DOWNS), drag racing, and rolling drags. If you take care of it, it will last a while. :thumbup:

·
Registered
301 Posts
I know lots of bikes over 30-40000 miles with no problem at all with the proper care. If you guys can find some European motorcycle magazines, they do a lot of long term test on bikes. usually 50000 km or 100000 km tests. They take apart the bikes and inspect every part. Usually they look like the new ones with very little wear on the parts!!!! I believe that a sportbike can go well over 100000 miles with no problem if you take a good care of she!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
a guy I know has a Honda 954, just reached 99,999km on it, granted it's puffing oil a little, but otherwise it made it without any big engine work, now it's due...

M

·
Registered
301 Posts
phuz said:
Keep in mind that ideal engine life is only sustained when the bike hasn't been dropped. If the bike has been dropped several times, don't expect to get near the longevity out of the engine.
Dropping a bike doesn't means your engine won't last that long. Unless you brake the end of the crankshaft :)

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
MattKatz said:
I guess you're right. That's why I quit working in the field of engine design several years ago - I didn't feel like going back for a PhD in it.

For the record, I've rebuilt several car engines, including doing some of the machine work myself. I know how to rebuild goddamn engines. Some of the newer engines (both car and motorcycle) are slightly different beasts in that they have unlined aluminum cylinders with a hard wear coating applied to them.

Goddamn rednecks think a brother can't have an education or handle a wrench.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well then does anyone own a bike thats over 25,000 to 30,000 miles and is still functioning well. And if so how many miles does it have.
I have a 06 gsxr600 with 25.5k miles and I don’t have any issues yet, I’m hoping it will last me longer but so far it runs great

·
Registered
314 Posts
My 2002 GSXR 750 has 80K on it, and a lot of that is track time either with track days or WERA, but to be competitive I stopped racing/riding it in 2007 or it would probably have 150K ish on it now. I have since owned multiple bikes and it just sits in the corner only being started once every two weeks or so.

Engines are only as good as the owners/maintenance/riding conditions done to them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts