Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've got a 1999 GSXR 600, when purchased it had issues, the previous owner had played around with it! Finally tracked it down to fuel pump in the tank seized. after replacing pump, stripping and refurbing carbs, I've got it running sort of! there was a rattle which I believe was the cam chain tensioner. I've replaced this, as per manual, but have a horrid rattle noise still. Checked timing several times now, stripping cover off, counting the pins, lining everything up. Checked valve clearances and within tolerance. Compression on all pistons good, 175/180psi. Any one know what else it could be?

IMG_9376.MOV

·
Super Moderator
9,725 Posts
Welcome. Just a guess, but it sounds like an exhaust header leak to me from the short video. (header to cylinder head)

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Also, maybe a whirring sound too? Like something near/on the stator? Have you had the left cover off?

Congrats on the new purchase. You've methodically done and checked some really good things.
When you had the valve cover checking clearances, was the new cam chain tensioner on there already? Did the chain seem very loose?

I only listened to you video clip once, but I wasn't getting cam chain from that short clip.

Good luck and keep of posted. There are plenty of people on here like John that forgot more than I ever knew about wrenching!
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not had the left cover off yet! Have got the cover off again at mo. When tensioning the cam chain, are you meant to do it with the top guide on or off? the one between the cams.

Valves checked with the new manual tensioner in. Chain wasn't loose, but wasn't too tight either. As mentioned it had been messed with.

Have also rebuilt callipers, new seals etc and done fork seals and oil, so soon as its running its off for an MOT!

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Not had the left cover off yet! Have got the cover off again at mo. When tensioning the cam chain, are you meant to do it with the top guide on or off? the one between the cams.

Valves checked with the new manual tensioner in. Chain wasn't loose, but wasn't too tight either. As mentioned it had been messed with.

Have also rebuilt callipers, new seals etc and done fork seals and oil, so soon as its running its off for an MOT!

View attachment 295658
On my K5 1000, I too have installed a Manual CCT.
I didn't even take the valve cover off when I installed it. You don't have to.
Get it snug. Start it, and go by sound on a warm engine.
IIRC- screw it in until it's quieter, then back out 1/8 - 1/4 turn.

* I had checked my valve clearances months after it was installed and I checked the chain with a screwdriver prying on it- it was snug. Not too tight, or loose. HTH

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, have taken cams out, checked everything was correct, and still have this horrid noise! doesn't look as if its coming from headers. Any more ideas?? Revs and runs its just the noise..

IMG_9439.MOV

·
Dad Bod Super Mod
27,817 Posts
Did you pull the engine side covers off and look for rubbing? It is before the clutch. Oil or water pump?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve read on a forum it could be Loose counterweight on crankshaft. Anyone else had this and fixed? Without taking engine out and full rebuild?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts