Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I traded for an offroad buggy with a supposed 97 or 98 gsxr750 motor on it. I'm rather excited about the project and am looking forward to getting it running again. PO told me that all it should need is a wiring harness, which looks possible. (Buggy has other issues, running motor is step one) I have done the basics such as an oil change and confirmed that it's not locked up.

I hope someone has info on how to confirm what I have so I can work on it effectively? Also, I'm no pro, but I know enough, and I still cannot determine for sure whether I have carbs or FI. At first blush, I would have said carbs, but there's all sorts of sensors on it that only make sense to me if its injected. But I haven't found a fuel rail either. Was there a carved option with sensors on it? Appears to be a TPS and something else?

Eventually I'll need to know what fuel pressure I need, the tank that came with has no lid and is all rusted inside, so its junk, I hope to go with a real fuel cell and just find a suitable pump, but I know I'll need to know carbs/FI first. I cant confirm that the tank came from the same bike as the motor, but it seems reasonable to assume. Did the carb models have a fuel pump or where they gravity fed? Gravity makes the most sense, but I've seen low pressure feed pumps, so it makes me wonder?

Thanks all,

Bryce

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Had pictures sent to me. Thought they might help. I think I managed to find that the R726 is a 97 motor? Also, it doesn't have a hard fuel rail, but it has rubber hoses in the same location as a picture I saw a fuel rail on. Settling into thinking it has to be carbs, but still confused by the sensors?

·
SuperMod of the North
25,773 Posts
Yup, those are carbs. They would have been gravity fed. Post pics of the sensors and we will check those as well. Download a service manual for it. I couldn't find the 750 but the 600 is HERE and should be almost identical. The electrical schematics will tell you wire colors and names for components.

·
Registered
951 Posts
The '96-'98 750's were indeed carbureted, and had a fuel pump in the tank. They are also electronic carbs, they have a TPS.
WE MUST SEE PICS OF THIS BUGGY, LOL...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buggy is fairly rough at the moment, but I'll get a few for your viewing pleasure. I apparently didnt Google well, a friend sent me a link explaining that they used the TPS to advance timing/flame front per desired load.

So now I need a wiring harness. 96-98 use the same harness? Sure would suck to order something wrong. R726 code is a 97 motor, yes?

·
SuperMod of the North
25,773 Posts
If you are unsure you can look up the OEM harness and compare the Suzuki part number to other years or models. Searching the part number also may point you to other bikes. My '89 gsxr 1100 uses carb parts from the 2000 Suzuki DR650.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So upon looking at ebay for a harness, I find them to be rather pricey, and new is not even worth it. Now the goal is to find what years the plugs for the ecu are the same so that I can find any hacked up harness and just use the ecu plugs. Everything else I would likely need to lengthen and modify anyways. Anyone have any insight on commonality of plugs? Lol. That'll be a process of trying to confirm...

·
Registered
951 Posts
I would call around to some bike salvage yards. There are several large ones around the country. You would be better off starting with a whole harness, then eliminate what you don't need, and loom up what you need to keep. Just my .02...

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I thought, until i found them on Ebay at nearly 200 bucks for partially hacked... I didnt think to call salvage yards.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,773 Posts
Agreed. Salvage yards are way easier to find parts than classifieds. A good relationship with a local yard will make your life WAY easier.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Unless you have a motorcycle salvage yard near you, you will be calling around the country to get one shipped. Especially for a bike that old. Motorcycle yards aren't very common these days. I WISH I had one near me. Would be awesome to go rummage around in one...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I havent found one close, yet. I am within range of rice paddy, they have bikes and parts, only classic Japanese bikes, I believe. I have checked them, no luck. Would be so fun to wander a salvage yard. I would have so many bad ideas....

·
SuperMod of the North
25,773 Posts
That is gonna be a blast! Keep us in the loop with this!

·
Registered
951 Posts
That's cool. A little rough and beat up, but shouldn't be too bad to bring back. Looks like your toughest challenge will be to get it running again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Once it runs, I'll likely rebuild the rearend, it looks like it was built by a hillbilly.... which I'm not far off of some days, but it should be better than it is. And it needs some bushings, cleaning, paint and small touch ups. I'm so ready to go for a spin in it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the wiring harness installed. Cant confirm the "start button" circuit. Also, keep hunting through the harness and eliminating safety switches... Seeing as I dont have a side stand, I may as well cap that off.... lol. I'm trying to find "start" and then I need to add fuel pressure and see what happens. I also have no way to figure out with wire is which as far as the spark plug order goes. The diagram I'm working off of doesn't have any details on which plug is which. If anyone has pictures or anything that might help identify the order, that would be helpful. Otherwise its guess and check.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Upon further review, I just found the notes on which plug is which, but the wiring doesn't make sense, so... testing. It also just came to my attention that I am an idiot. I dont have a fuse block. Therefore, I likely have no complete circuits in my harness at all at the moment. I also dont know which plug/s should go to a fuse block, so I dont really know how to build one, either. Lol. This is fuuuunnnn....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The wiring harness has gotten a bit messy.... I've been going through wire by wire and ripping out everything I dont need. I still cant get it to work, so trying to figure it all out, I'm making it as simple as I can. So far... no luck. Lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts