Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1997 GSX-R1100W
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long story short
Bought this bike got it to crank / run put a few miles on it appeared to be running rich, acceleration flat, smoky exhaust.
Current issue, starter turns the motor but it will not crank. Got a couple light rumblings but no fire. Put new diaphram on accelerator pump but only 1 out of 4 cylinders pump fuel.
Video here

Blew compressed air through system and there were no clogs.

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
1,699 Posts
Time to take the carbs off, and likely completely apart. I would start with checking the accelerator pump assembly. But, it also sounds like they are over due for a good cleaning, and possibly a re-jet. As I recall, these are NOT the stock carbs for that bike? This is a long road to get your jetting correct. Also if I am remembering correctly, you have pod filters? This make removal really easy, but jetting much harder.

Reactions: 1997-1100

·
Mod of the North
28,849 Posts
long story short
Bought this bike got it to crank / run put a few miles on it appeared to be running rich, acceleration flat, smoky exhaust.
Current issue, starter turns the motor but it will not crank. Got a couple light rumblings but no fire. Put new diaphram on accelerator pump but only 1 out of 4 cylinders pump fuel.
Video here

Blew compressed air through system and there were no clogs.
OK, just to clarify the sentence in bold above. Cranks means the engine rotates or "turns over" - Fires is when a cylinder gets ignition and pops off. The starter turns the engine but it doesn't fire up and run correct? Does it fire up if you spray WD40 into the carbs? If it does that will tell you it is a fuel issue. If it doesn't you have a spark issue. Have the carbs been torn down and cleaned? What do the plugs look like? That may be a good start if the bike is new to you and we don't know what kind of care it has had.

·
Mod of the North
28,849 Posts
Time to take the carbs off, and likely completely apart. I would start with checking the accelerator pump assembly. But, it also sounds like they are over due for a good cleaning, and possibly a re-jet. As I recall, these are NOT the stock carbs for that bike? This is a long road to get your jetting correct. Also if I am remembering correctly, you have pod filters? This make removal really easy, but jetting much harder.
Ah, good. I was hoping you would show up. Thanks.

·
Registered
1997 GSX-R1100W
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No fire. Will crank i.e. turn over but no bang on any cylinder. Just put new plugs in but they may be foul so will have to pull them out and take a look-see

·
Registered
1997 GSX-R1100W
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Completely? Was hoping not to have to do that but Rome was not built in a day...took a whole weekend! Would i need a carb sync tool? Was looking at the six sigma jet kit. Correct these are NOT stock carbs. Almost wish they were lol.

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
1,699 Posts
6Sigma, may be able to get you dialed in really close right out of the box. You will need to give them every detail that you have. i.e. year make model, carb type and size, air filter setup, altitude above sea level (no really). They are pretty good at building the kit you need. Like a dyno jet kit, they should send you a couple/few jet sizes. I recommend starting with the smallest ones.
You WILL want to buy/beg/borrow a carb sync setup. They can be bought fairly cheap these days.
You won't (likely) need to separate the carbs from the rack. Should be able to get away with just a MAJOR cleaning.
Guitar string "cut offs" of various sizes are an essential tool for this job. So if you don't play, and don't KNOW someone who does, it's worth going to a music shop, and ask them if they have a variety of cutoffs you can have. If they don't, just spend the money for the cheapest set they have, and cut off about 6 inches. A whole set will last you long time..
I have a carb tuning tutorial around this site somewhere, that will help you get it right much faster.
Good luck. Tin and I are here if you have questions. We are (I think) the only carb guys left here, LOL...

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Mod of the North
28,849 Posts
6Sigma, may be able to get you dialed in really close right out of the box. You will need to give them every detail that you have. i.e. year make model, carb type and size, air filter setup, altitude above sea level (no really). They are pretty good at building the kit you need. Like a dyno jet kit, they should send you a couple/few jet sizes. I recommend starting with the smallest ones.
You WILL want to buy/beg/borrow a carb sync setup. They can be bought fairly cheap these days.
You won't (likely) need to separate the carbs from the rack. Should be able to get away with just a MAJOR cleaning.
Guitar string "cut offs" of various sizes are an essential tool for this job. So if you don't play, and don't KNOW someone who does, it's worth going to a music shop, and ask them if they have a variety of cutoffs you can have. If they don't, just spend the money for the cheapest set they have, and cut off about 6 inches. A whole set will last you long time..
I have a carb tuning tutorial around this site somewhere, that will help you get it right much faster.
Good luck. Tin and I are here if you have questions. We are (I think) the only carb guys left here, LOL...
@JETMECHANIC worked in a dedicated carb shop. He knows this stuff.

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Registered
1997 GSX-R1100W
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking at taking apart everything got the wire but....
Looking at the #3 carburetor there is a barbed fitting. Should this be connected to the fuel tank as there is a fitting in this area that has no thing connected. I have capped that line before with success but not sure what it is for.

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
1,699 Posts
I would have to see it. Take a good picture if it, maybe even a couple of them? Those carbs aren't stock, so it may be a little harder to identify.

·
Registered
1997 GSX-R1100W
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would have to see it. Take a good picture if it, maybe even a couple of them? Those carbs aren't stock, so it may be a little harder to identify.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
1,699 Posts
Ok... On the carb boot, that is a vacuum port for the stock petcock. (this will be a major vacuum leak, and would contribute to your starting issues.) Needs to be plugged, because it looks like you have a manual aftermarket petcock installed. The port on the bottom of your tank (that you have pictured) is the drain from around the filler cap. Should have a hose on it to be able to drain lower from the bike if you should have spills or overflow when fueling. This is not important to the bike running.

Going back to the petcock, and open vacuum port. With that style petcock, you NEED to shut it off whenever the bike isn't running. It WILL flood your engine with fuel if left on for too long. The open vacuum port MIGHT help in getting it started, but you likely have deeper carb issues that need to be addressed.

Reactions: 1997-1100

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
1,699 Posts
With that vacuum leak, it was likely running pretty lean.

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
1,699 Posts
You need to clean those carbs. I would start there, and see how it runs. Then re-jet as necessary. It may run perfect after cleaning them properly.

·
Mod of the North
28,849 Posts
Yup, like Spyder said, clean the carbs and the plugs then we can deal with what is really going on.

Reactions: Spyder13
1 - 20 of 24 Posts