Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally picked up a new motorcycle after my last one was stolen. The next step - passing state inspection. The previous rider had removed the stock fender kit and just had the license plate hanging out- no license plate light. This won't pass in PA. Not sure what he was thinking.

Went down to the local bike shop and picked up a Targa License Light. The tech said I could just screw it in the license plate but after looking at the setup, it looks like I'll have to drill a hole to properly set it up and hide the wires. They charged me around $16 for the light.

Has anyone had experience installing one of these lights? Am I better off investing in an eliminator kit? My bike is schedule to go in the shop next week. I was thinking about having one of the techs install the light since it's not my forte.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
So I finally picked up a new motorcycle after my last one was stolen. The next step - passing state inspection. The previous rider had removed the stock fender kit and just had the license plate hanging out- no license plate light. This won't pass in PA. Not sure what he was thinking.

Went down to the local bike shop and picked up a Targa License Light. The tech said I could just screw it in the license plate but after looking at the setup, it looks like I'll have to drill a hole to properly set it up and hide the wires. They charged me around $16 for the light.

Has anyone had experience installing one of these lights? Am I better off investing in an eliminator kit? My bike is schedule to go in the shop next week. I was thinking about having one of the techs install the light since it's not my forte.
i got a set of those targa lights from the dealer(at least they look exactly like those lights) and one kept burning out on me. i don't know if anybody else has the same problem i do but im switching from those lights man. no bueno if you ask me. look cool no doubtbut doesn't work well. good luck dude.

·
Registered
441 Posts
its not hard. Here is my advice.

use solder and a soldering iron....heat shrink tubing, and if you can locate your stock connectors use it.....if not no biggie.

blue wire = black wire (-)
brown wire/gray wire = red (+)

pretty simple. The hard part is thinking it through good with the heatshrink tubing, and installing it cleanly.

you shouldnt have to drill, you can hide the wires well and put them between the undertail and subframe w/o drilling through plastic.

I just installed some on my plate today. I bought the ones of ebay though...like 16 bucks shipped for 2. Used them on 2 of my bikes for a while now....never burned out. I think they are rated for 100,000 hours life.

and for the fender eliminator....I cut my own out with a dremmel and sheet metal from home depot. spray painted it black....and put it on myself. Fender eliminators are overpriced in my opiniong. All they do is hold your friggen license plate.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i had the same problem but i just bought a red led light from the local bike shop, mounted it, and soldered it into the factory wires and problem solved

·
Registered
914 Posts
yeap i have a targa fender kit on my bike right now. that light goes in one of the holes on the plate. that light that is in your pic blows a big one though, i went threw 2 of them with in a month, so i called up targa and bitched at them about the problem that i was having with that light so they sent me a really nice led light free of charge. you can kinda see how i have it mounted in my pic.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the input. maybe I'll try to get the Targa installed for the time being to pass inspection and in the future look for a replacement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.