Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two of the three front fender mounts on the left fork of my '02 750 are broken off. Should I try to weld up some new mounts for it ( I Know its aluminum), try to make some type of clamp on mount, or do I have to get a new fork tube? I know there is some way of getting the fork bottom off cause I have seen chromed bottoms on ebay, but when I asked how to get them off they responded "its a complicated process, if you send your forks to us we can change them for a fee". Basically my question is, whats my simplest (and least expensive) solution? Thanks

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Simplest and least expensive, would be ride without a front fender.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
duct tape and bailing wire, it the solution for everything

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would like to have the fender on the bike. Any one know how to take the bottom of the fork off?

·
Registered
8 Posts
jeepboyyj said:
I would like to have the fender on the bike. Any one know how to take the bottom of the fork off?
It's a pain in the ass, first the entire fork needs to be dissasembled and then there is normally a small set srew on the fork bottom facing the wheel where the fork is inserted. then you need to heat the crap out of it to melt the thread locking compound, (similar to loctite) then unthread the fork bottom from the fork tube. I have never removed mine but this is what I was told from numerous reputable sources. ALL OF THEM said it was a major pain in the ass.
I'd say if you want to keep the fender just go on ebay a wait till you find a replacement fork or just weld it. It will probably run you about the same price if you can't weld it your self.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I don't think you would want to weld it with the fork together, because then you run the risk of messing parts up inside of the fork tube because of the extreme heat you will be applying to it to weld, you might even melt the fork seals. If you want info on taking the forks apart, get this video called Suspension for Mortals, sold by traxxion dynamics, it'll show you how to do everything step by step.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think i'm just gonna try to weld it. It shouldn't get really hot at all since it would just be a few spot welds at most, plus you have to keep aluminum as cool as possible when you weld it cause it warps easily. The hardest part is gonna be getting the mounts in the right spots cause i don't have the ones that came off. Oh well. Thanks

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
jeepboyyj said:
I think i'm just gonna try to weld it. It shouldn't get really hot at all since it would just be a few spot welds at most, plus you have to keep aluminum as cool as possible when you weld it cause it warps easily. The hardest part is gonna be getting the mounts in the right spots cause i don't have the ones that came off. Oh well. Thanks
You can think that its not gonna get hot, butI know how to weld and my buddy welded on my triple clamp for me, aluminum tranfers heat very easily, and it can warp too. you don't know if there are any aluminum parts inside the forks you have to worry about either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts