Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys... I have been reading your forum for a while now, and have gleamed a lot of information, but seeing that its all gone will start you off with a new question!

First about myself.... I am from England and have started thinking about doing my full motorcycle licence in the coming spring, then getting a bike once i've graduated from university (and have a welll paid job :rolleyes: ) next summer.

I did look at 400cc bikes because the insurance seems reasonable ZX-4R £509 fully comprehensive. (as a guide i had quotes for an NC30 £909, ZX-6R £924, GSX-R600 £865)

However some guys over here suggested that i would quickly get bored of a 400, and should look at getting a 600. so with the slightly cheaper insurance quote on a GSX-R600 i came to this site.

However i get the impression it might be best to go for something like a SV650. what are the main differences riding wise between a GSX-R and an SV?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
well the SV is a Vtwin and the GSXR is a I4 (inline 4) so the power delivery and power band and acceleration are going to be a lot different. the SV is a little more upright position. The SV is a great learning bike though, don't get me wrong. I would definatly suggest starting on something small and then step up as your skill progress.

·
Registered
67 Posts
go with SV
it wont scare the piss out of you...which will allow you to learn how to ride a MC instaed of learning how to hang on to a MC!
sell the SV in a year and buy a 'focused' sportbike
you'll prolly be able to runs rings around nobs who start on litre bikes on 600!

·
Registered
55 Posts
hell get a 1000 but make it a sv1000 because it has a little less power then a gsxr600 and the ins. is cheap. then sell the sv1000 in a year and get what ever bike you want.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
your telling a newb to get a 1000, how retarded are you?

·
Registered
55 Posts
what can you not read its a SV1000... Have you ever riden one? Yea they got more low end but a gsxr 600 has more top end then they got by about 8 mph on the gps and a gsxr600 will bet a sv1000 in a 1/4 mile by about 2 bikes. so yea i think a SV1000 is a good learners bike.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
yes i did, read, and I think your retarded. Why not get the SV 650. I wonder why they make those. Hmm, maybe because they can be fast too, I know a lot of guys that have 650s that are faster than a 600, and it all depends on the rider.

·
Registered
55 Posts
skibum91 said:
yes i did, read, and I think your retarded. Why not get the SV 650. I wonder why they make those. Hmm, maybe because they can be fast too, I know a lot of guys that have 650s that are faster than a 600, and it all depends on the rider.
shit mybe on a track a sv650 will bet a gsxr6 but the only way a sv650 will bet a gsxr6 in a 1/4 mile is if the rider on the sv650 weighs a buck 10 and the rider of the gsxr6 is pushing 200. and on the sv1000 he want get board as quick with it plus if he buys new then by the time he gets it broke in (if he brakes it in buy the book) he will be use to the power of it.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
getting bored of a bike is BS. I've got a 1000, and I rode 600's before I got it, and raced a 750 for a few years. Riding the 600 wasn't boring, it was actually more fun that riding a 1000 in some aspects. You will learn more about actually riding if you start on a small bike. The smaller the bike the more you learn, because you are trying to keep up with guys on bigger bikes, if you learn to do that then you never really need a 1000. The only reason I got one is because I do a lot of double up riding, and for some stunting. So i still don't understand your reasoning for telling a newb to go buy a brand new 1000 for his first bike. Its hard enough to control the power of a 600, or the 650, and telling him to go get a 1000, thats real smart. 1/4 isn't crap. People don't guy buy a "Sportbike" because they want a fast 1/4 mile. They want to hang corners, and to learn corner speed and throttle control its better to start on a small bike, because you won't be mobbing on the straits to keep up with guys that are beating you through the corners. Its just simple logic.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i agree with you about the twisties but if you live in west texas there are no corners. But HAVE YOU EVER RIDEN A SV1000. it is rides the same as a 650 but has more lowend but not to radical lowend. the diffence in the v-twins is about like the diffence in a 750 shadow and a 1100 shadow.

BTW a shadow is a cruiser that honda makes. LOL

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I have ridden many bikes out there from Honda's to Customs, and 250's to 1300's. I know how bikes ride and how bikes handle. It is ver simple, more power means more power. You don't want more power when learning to ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
a 1000 is out of the question!!!! what with our restricted licences etc and the current focus on road safety for motorcyclists a litre bike doesnt sound like a good idea to me!!

(also in england the insurance companies usually have low counters so its easier to take you from behind while you're writing the cheque!! :eek: )

·
Administrator
1,000,000,259 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
im with ski on this one...a 1000 is too much. Those SV650s pack more punch than a lot may think...I was surprised how quick they were the first time I rode one.

My friend has since then sold it and now rides a R1. Great starter bike and they arnt that ugly if you get the aftermarket fairings

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Lyte- said:
lol
calm down ski
Why, so you can get idiots like kneescraper tell all the newbs that they need a 1000 and if they listen to him go out and kill themselves because they are too big of a bike. I will calm down when people aren't so stupid and not suggest 1000's for starter bikes and when newbs don't want to buy 1000's as their starter bikes.

·
Administrator
1,000,000,259 Posts
ummm no i ment calm your self from being hyper about it..

you made a valid point and if they guy still wants to buy the 1000 nothing you can go about it you said your piece?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
If I don't try my hardest to pound it into their skull that they don't need to get one then I didn't do my job as a fellow experienced rider.

·
Registered
309 Posts
yea i also think a 1000 is way to big to start off on... way to big.. youll have plenty to worrie about with a 600 when you start let alone worring about keep the wheel down on a 1000

·
Administrator
1,000,000,259 Posts
BTW the Calm down post was the lil man not me!

he was logged on as me also i guess...

most likely who was posting when USDM was trying to reply cause i never deleted a post

1 - 20 of 62 Posts