Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm taking my 2002 GSXR 750 to the drag strip for the first time this weekend. Any tips for a newbie?

I plan to switch over to race gas when I'm there, any tips on doing this? I'd assume I just run my tank down to empty, then switch over the gas and upload the new map.

All that is done to the bike is full yoshi race exhaust, K&N air filter, and PCIII. I run my bike 3% leaned out on the street, should I lean out the factory race map 3% as well?

Any additional prep to the bike that I should consider besides cleaning the plugs, lubing the chain, checking brakes, cleaning the air filter, and removing the side mirrors? Should I lower the tire pressure at all, I'm planning on just keeping it at the factory recommended 36psi.

Approximately what times would you expect, It was dyno'd this winter at 128rwhp on a dyno jet. If my trap speed is 120+ I need a full leather suit (plan on wearing it anyway).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
No need for the "race gas" it is not going to gain you much if any thing but more of a cost to go have some fun and do some learning well your at it. All the other preps you stated will be fine but you really dont even need to do those unless its time to do them anyway...

But you my need to adjust your clutch after a few passes (some do some dont)

Most of all jst go have fun and talk with/watch as many other riders as you can to learn as much as you can...

Good luck be safy and HAVE A BLAST!

G

·
All i can say is have fun be safe and the more seat time the better you will get post up some times when u get done good luck:thumbup:

·
Registered
582 Posts
yeah if this is your first time I wouldnt do anything that drastic. just go and get used to it, its alot different running with your friends on the street than it is with all those people watching and you trying to concentrate on the bulbs... just have fun, when the time comes to start tweaking the bike you will know. right now it will do all you need it to.. good luck

·
Registered
95 Posts
the best advice I can give you would be take it easy and dont try to be Ricky Gadson on the first day. Start you launching at a low rpm's and work your way up and watch your times drop and take a video camera with you. I always wach my runs and listen to the bike and what my launches are looking like..have fun and dont waste your money on race gas yet

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had my bike for about 8-9 weeks and went out to the strip I never ran a bike but ran a ton of cars. I sucked but i was fun as hell and get 2nd.:thumbup: going back as soon as it gets nice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I got four runs in, it was pretty fun. I was the only bike at the track today and they wont let bikes run against cars so that was a bummer. I'm still working on my launches and the transition from launch to full throttle.

My best run was:

2.0451 60ft
1/8 - [email protected]
1/4 - 11.2041 @ 128.94

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Sounds like ya had a good time!!! Yeah they wont let ya run a car as you'll stomp them! But sometimes they will for a grudge match... Looks like a pretty decent time... the more you run the better your 60' times will get and in turn your overall time will get...:thumbup::thumbup:

So did you run race fuel or jst "run what ya brung"... A street bike?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There were some cars there that would compete and I even got them to agree to race me. The track wouldn't allow it though, oh well. I just started launching yesterday and I'm not comfortable with it yet. Also I'm coming up on 10k miles with the stock clutch and dont want to be replacing it sooner than later.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
LOL... Thats to bad dont worry tho you'll see some bikes out there! Your clutch will be fine... I have a 01 600 all stock sept a slip-on and a K&N filter with 26789 on her and ran all day a few weeks ago and have been out 4 other times all day this year on the organelle clutch...

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a K8 600 and took her to the track on Friday 8th. I was pathetic, but that is what I expected to be like. First to runs It was like riding a bucking bronco....:hammer:but I calmed it down and ran a few decent runs...I think my best so far was a 7.5 in the 1/8th. I am going tmrw for Street Night. No Tree just a flag Girl. I hope to practice my launches there....:thumbup:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good job man! Get that seat time and drop those 60's and you'll be rollin'! As for your clutch, invest in some Heavy duty clutch springs (cycleconcepts). They arent expensive and will save your clutch in the long run. Im ordering mine this week :thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey SD750 Not bad for your 1st time to the track. Just keep practicing. I recommend investing in an air shifter and lowering the bike. My 1st pass I ran a 11.30 but i also had nitrous and an air shifter and 116 octane, but didnt really now what to shift at or hit the juice plus i was scared of looping the bike when i hit the button. I havent been on the bike in about 1 1/2 years due to the military but very excited to get back to the track. Another good way of learning is to go to a racing school if you have the extra $$$ for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heavier clutch springs sound like a good plan to me, I noticed a bit of slipping going into 2nd gear, I will look into it. I'm currently looking for a job so I don't know when my next paycheck is coming which unfortunately means no bike upgrades or track days because I can't afford to drop/loop it. There are no good 1/4 mile drag strips close enough to San Diego and its not as fun as twisties IMHO.

Once I land a job the plan is to sell my 750 and buy a track bike. Then buy a used Ducati liter bike for my daily driver/mountain/pick up bitches bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts