Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am about to do my first oil change on my bike. I already have the oil and filter. My only concern is the Oil Filter installation. I cant seem to find if the HIFLOFILTRO filter is good for my bike. I know it fits, but I am just paranoid that It may damage my bike if it isnt the "correct filter for the bike". So just woundering if it is? Also, if hand tighting the filter is fine. Some people say yes, while others say no. For the first ever oil change I am just nervous of damaging the bike, so any "tips" or tricks would be super helpful. Thanks!
Light Product Adhesive Automotive tire Font

(Oil filter I have, it fits the bike just asking to see if it is totally safe for this bike)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
How is this the first change on an '18?
Anyways- it this filter is listed for your bike (I didn't look it up), then the flow should be fine.
Hi Flo literature specifically states 'DO NOT USE THE NUT TO TIGHTEN THE FILTER' Use the nut only to remove it. Oh, your picture shows a filter that goes inside a casing, like my CB750 was. If it goes in a case w/ a bolt down the middle, tighten it snugly, not overdo it though.

HTH

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,983 Posts
OEM is best but I think HiFlo are fine. Just not K&N. They are banned by several race and track organizations. Probably because people used the nut to tighten or didn't get the old o-ring removed but still. I hand tighten mine but I'm very strong and also use hose clamp and safety wire. :p If anything you could give it a slight snug with a proper filter wrench (again, not using the nut).

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
2,147 Posts
HiFlo filters are good. I have been using them for many years (after a bunch of research) and have never had an issue. Hand tight (pretty much as tight as you can get it by hand without using gorilla strength) is good. The seal works like a lock nut. Just like your car. Though, I am betting you don't change the oil on that, or you probably wouldn't be asking this in the first place.
But if by chance you do, it's the same, just a smaller filter, and less oil, LOL...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OEM is best but I think HiFlo are fine. Just not K&N. They are banned by several race and track organizations. Probably because people used the nut to tighten or didn't get the old o-ring removed but still. I hand tighten mine but I'm very strong and also use hose clamp and safety wire. :p If anything you could give it a slight snug with a proper filter wrench (again, not using the nut).
I tired to untighten the filter by hand- impossibly tight. Spent all day trying to unscrew it. Short story - I got
The 'correct filter for the bike': The GSX250R uses a Hi Flo 138.
You can verify the number with the link below on Hi Flo's company website.
Hiflofiltro: Catalogue
Perfect thats the filter I have. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts