Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I rev my 00 750 up high, starting at around 13k flames start shooting out of the pipe, is this natural? I was told that it's raw fuel or something that cumbusting with the hot gas vapors but I'm not sure. Oh yeah, and it's a full yosh rs-3 system.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Got2josh said:
Whenever I rev my 00 750 up high, starting at around 13k flames start shooting out of the pipe, is this natural? I was told that it's raw fuel or something that cumbusting with the hot gas vapors but I'm not sure. Oh yeah, and it's a full yosh rs-3 system.
When we moved here to Colorado my bike started doing that shit too, it turned out to be the gas air mixture was off... It was shooting flames and had low power.. everyone was laughing at me it SUCKED :thefinger

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Princeslea79 said:
When we moved here to Colorado my bike started doing that shit too, it turned out to be the gas air mixture was off... It was shooting flames and had low power.. everyone was laughing at me it SUCKED :thefinger
I was laughing because i just answered his other post and was thinking man he may be popping like hell on de-acceleration from high speed runs but yes that should smooth out your problems(pc2) if you have a 00 750 its a pc2 that you need

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
audi1031 said:
That is because your running lean on the top end no gas in which you would need that PC3 hahaha :laughingr
If it is POPPING on deceleration it is lean.
If it is green or blue flames it is lean

If it is throwing orange or yellow flames it is RICH.

Either way you need to re-map it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Either way you need to re-map it.[/QUOTE]

Hallelujah! i went thru a similar thing with my 01, too rich, too lean, change the plugs, put a k&n filter. after messing with it for a while i finally got the techlusion F.I. box and i personally love it! you have to mess with it to fine tune it but once it's dialed in---sweet! take it to a shop and get the ecm remapped, buy the power commander-yosh ems, whatever you get these will cure what ales ya. good-luck! and stop popping it to 13 grand while you're standing still and i'll bet it won't shoot flames, one day it might shoot a piston or something. J/J

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
hey, thanks for all the response's, I didn't expect so much so soon. Anyways, I just saw the sticky at the top and I'm gonna read it but what is the difference between PC2 and 3? Why would I only need the PC2?
And one other thing I was wondering is if I would need to have it on a dyno to get it properly tuned, or if downloading a map from the website or whatever would be sufficient. Thanks.
By the way, I only just got the bike and being in massaschusetts I'm not going to get it on the road for another few months, but when I bought it the guy reved it up that high for me, and then I did once for my friends who's garage the bike is staying in. Both times it spit out yellowish flames starting around 13k, but I know that I shouldn't make a habit of bringing it up that high on a regular basis

·
Registered
311 Posts
i don't think the pc111 will work on your 00' the 00'-01' only takes the pc11 because of the wiring harness, or the clips actually. i think my 01' is considered an 01' 1/2 because of something about the last 4 digits of the vin#. anyway i think if you use a downloaded map your bike should run fine but for optimum performance you want to get the bike dynoed and re-tuned. then you can have a custom map for your bike. down here in houston that'll cost ya a couple hundred for the dyno and tuning alone. if you're trying to save a little cash look into the techlusion F.I. box. depending on how much you want to fool with it to get it tuned and dialed in good, i use this instead the p.c. and the yosh e.m.s. and i love it (that's my personal preference). you can always find GREAT deals on the older p.c.11 for the 00'-01' 750's on ebay. you don't have to have the p.c. if you get the ecm re-mapped but if you ever add any performance extras you'll have to do it all over again. good luck and be safe when you get her on the road. :bike:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright, so I should get a pcII and download a map for it off the website. I haven't looked but can I get a map that is for a 00 750 with my specific system and filter? I'm just wondering how close to a custom map it would be if I downloaded a generic map. And do they have them for specific systems or is it just a "full system" map?
And if anyone has a spare pc2 hanging around PM me and I'll take it off your hands

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
well there is one on ebay right now going today i think,but on the maps they are pretty much just avg. When you get the power commander and you upload a map it will tell you exactly what its for. You can use whatever map you choose just read what it says. you can add more fuel your self to mess around with it but since your not too familiar with it I would say leave it alone and let the man at the dyno shop take care of it. Goto Powercommander.com and read up on what your looking for as it may answer alot more questions and make sure you get PC2 for your bike not a yammie or something like that or busa one

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I had this problem for the longest time...adjusted my idle (it was at 700rpms) to 1400rpms and now everything is gravy..

and man i mean it used to shoot flames like crazy..anything over 9K then letting off the throttle would cause loud backfire popping and flames to go with it. don't know why the idle adjustment fixed it, but it did.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
usdm420 said:
I had this problem for the longest time...adjusted my idle (it was at 700rpms) to 1400rpms and now everything is gravy..

and man i mean it used to shoot flames like crazy..anything over 9K then letting off the throttle would cause loud backfire popping and flames to go with it. don't know why the idle adjustment fixed it, but it did.
:headscrat I find this HARD to believe. What year model was it?

BTW Idle should be 1000-1200 RPM ;)

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
uhhhh i wouldnt lie about this...its not like i was telling my penis size :lol:
its an '04..i believe the handbook says stock idle is 1300..i got it to 13-1400 so i left it and all is good now..no more "lopey" idle and no more backfires for whatever reason :headscrat

BTW, all i have is a yoshi slip-on..when it was stolen they DID pop off one of the rivets around the can and i was beginning to think maybe some air was mixing with a little bit of unburned fuel and igniting upon exit but it stopped so now i have no clue.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
usdm420 said:
uhhhh i wouldnt lie about this...its not like i was telling my penis size :lol:
its an '04..i believe the handbook says stock idle is 1300..i got it to 13-1400 so i left it and all is good now..no more "lopey" idle and no more backfires for whatever reason :headscrat

BTW, all i have is a yoshi slip-on..when it was stolen they DID pop off one of the rivets around the can and i was beginning to think maybe some air was mixing with a little bit of unburned fuel and igniting upon exit but it stopped so now i have no clue.

Idle just has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with any of that... it is impossible.

My bike sometimes will lean pop, and other times it wont. I will wager it is more of a weather thing, than adjusting your idle.

I know when it is cool and dry (very rare here in Ga) if I let off the throttle and let the bike coast to slow down with out shifting down a gear, my bike will not just pop, but THROW emerald green flames out the can, to the point you can hear it like a torch for about half a second at a time :cool:

At other times If I downshift at a high RPM to use braking it will lean "pop" Blue flames several times until RPM falls down a bit, but still others I get no pop.

My bike is tuned pretty borderline though, so extreme changes in temp really affect mine.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
After further thought................ I can think of ONE way it could happen. It is very unlikely but possible :headscrat

if your throttle position sensor is SLIGHTLY off, as in off just a bit but not enough to give an FI error, it can think the throttle is partially opened, when in fact due to the idle being low the throttle butterflies are almost COMPLETELY closed off, instead of being slightly opened to the normal idle setting.

This would make the injectors shoot just a little bit more gas than normal at closed throttle, thus making the bike rich at closed throttle adn causing flames to come from the pipe from unburnt fuel.

Like i said, unlikely but actually possible I think :cool:

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
i think that last idea is about right....thats why i threw out the unburnt fuel idea out there...my bike literally would light up the surrounding walls of the street from the exhaust flames, it was nuts.

its not weather related tho'....it would happen in mid-day so. cali heat and also in early morning 50 degree weather.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.