Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a k8 600 with about 9k miles on it. just installed a pc3 and full yoshi TRC exhaust. and since ive put the pc3 and exhaust on i lost about half of my bottom end power. the bike has been running like crap since i put this stuff on. tonight i went to start it up and it started fine then got to about 4k in 2nd gear and the bike felt like it wanted to die. at the next light (about 2 blocks) i reved it up and noticed a huge flame come from my exhaust. i did it again just to make sure it wasnt random and it kept happening. it also shoots flames when i upshift... any ideas? i was guessing im gona need to change the spark plugs. anyone have any other ideas that may help me out??

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sounds like you need to get that PC tuned, or atleast try using a diffrent map. Dont really know but I would gues flames out the exhaust means its running to rich? Gota make sure that PC is tuned right. Iv seen a friends bike with the headers glowing BRIGHT RED they were so freakin hot, cant be good.... Guesing it was to lean?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
its running a little bit lean. but when i first put everything on i didnt have problems. the power loss began about a week or so after i installed the pc3 and exhaust. and today was the first time the flames came out. and the powerloss is even worse now. And they dont have a map for the yoshi TRC exhaust so im gona get it put on a dyno in a week or so. Im gona buy new plugs anyway so what is my best option for an k8 600?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
The flames indicate the map has advanced you're timing too much or that there is too much fuel being pumped into the system. I think its more likely you're timings too advanced, i.e. you're valves are still open when you're spark plugs ignite. Hence flames and loss of power.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i replaced my spark plugs today and the flames stopped. i got some of my bottom end power back but not fully. also when i hook my PC3 up to my laptop and WOT the program only says im opening it up anywhere from 78-88% never more than that. anybody have any ideas why it wont open up to 100% ??

·
Registered
552 Posts
The flames indicate the map has advanced you're timing too much or that there is too much fuel being pumped into the system. I think its more likely you're timings too advanced, i.e. you're valves are still open when you're spark plugs ignite. Hence flames and loss of power.
I thought the PC3's didnt have the ability to adjust your timing? Only fuel. I know they sell a seprate ignition module. And if the timing was ADVANCED it would be sparking while your intake valves were open, not your exhaust.

So it sounds like maybe your running TO lean and cooked your plugs? Then when the plugs started to perform so poorly you wernt burning all the fuel and it was comming out on the exhaust stroke and then burning. I dont have a PC myself, but isnt there a way to calibrate your throttle in the program? Maybe also check that your TPS is properly set on the bike. Theres a few write ups on adjusting your TPS, just search.

Check out http://www.bugmanweb.com/gsxr/gsxrindex.html. He has some write ups that may help you with your throttle problem.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
i replaced my spark plugs today and the flames stopped. i got some of my bottom end power back but not fully. also when i hook my PC3 up to my laptop and WOT the program only says im opening it up anywhere from 78-88% never more than that. anybody have any ideas why it wont open up to 100% ??
Your throttle is opening fully but you haven't calibrated the PCIII program. Go to Powercommander Tools on the top of your screen and click set throttle position. On the newer bikes you can do it with it off. First set the zero and then with the key and kill switch on, totally open your throttle and hit the calibrate button. This also affects your map.

Are you sure you still have the same map you loaded? I've had a lot of people loose their map because the PC was bouncing around and hit one of the buttons.

Also, the flames are normal if your PAIR is still hooked up.....especially if your running rich. Do a search on here. Basically it injects air into your exhaust to burn any unburned fuel. On the stock exhaust it will not shoot flames because of the number of restrictions it has to get through.

Also, the note on here about your timing being off is totally crap. If your timing is to advanced, it could open on the intake stroke and backfire but opening too late will do nothing but cost you power.

If you can't find the right map, try and arrow or scorpion map. They are very similiar in their design.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.