Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need your help folks...
So my bike(01 600 29xxx miles) has been setting for about three weeks (been riding wife's) and I went out for a lil ride on her today and my right fork seal is leaking.... Is this normal??? Is it because it sat or it is jst time to replace them???? What dose it entail to do the seals can I do it at home?(I was a wrench for 17 yrs)how much dose it run to have them done/ or me do it at home?
Should I even bother with it or try to find a used set of 750 forks?

Any of your help/input/suggestions is greatly appreciated
Thanks!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
i actually just did mine today. you need a helper. it's not really hard at all but if it's your first time it will take you along time just because you always second guessing yourself and trying to figure out ways to do things. i was quoted about 250 plus parts if i brought the bike in. if i took the forks off the bike and just brought the forks 150 plus parts. parts are about 50 bucks and you do need two vital tools which you can fabricate. i would say if cash is not object just take the bike in. if you hurting on cash do it yourself. it does get extremely time consumer making the tools to the exact size. suspending the bike, ect.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not hard to do, the only special tool i have ever needed for this is a fork seal driver, but you can get around that with a piece of pvc pipe cut in half lenght ways, just a little time consuming

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
Fork seals "should" be replaced every 2 years but I think street riders only replace them when there is a problem. It isn't too hard, having the right tools to make sure the oil levels are correct and to install the seal correctly is the main thing. By the way, this is where having a stem stand comes in handy and all those guys who say it's a waste of money want to borrow mine (get your own guys)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fork seals "should" be replaced every 2 years but I think street riders only replace them when there is a problem. It isn't too hard, having the right tools to make sure the oil levels are correct and to install the seal correctly is the main thing. By the way, this is where having a stem stand comes in handy and all those guys who say it's a waste of money want to borrow mine (get your own guys)
Think your right bro...

LOL +1 Ill rent ya mine tho...

Thanks you da man!

So here is an up date.... tomorrow I will pick up the job "specific" tools needed for this task and will be changing them out this weekend....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fork Seals

From the sounds of what you are saying I would highly suggest you have some one do them for you that has experience in this area.

If they are inverted forks you need a spring compressor to get them apart. Some riders take them apart from the bottom to avoid using a spring compressor. Good luck getting the air out and the right amount of oil level back in them when putting them back together. $250 is about the run of the mill cost for both forks to be serviced with new seals if you remove them yourself.

If they have never been serviced before your fork oil will look like mud or really dark coffee.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Scared yet I get them all the time in a bag after some one has tried to do it in their garage.

[/IMG]

You can cause more damage then good if you are not careful when removing the seal. Most seals that have been in there for a while need a little help with some heat to get them out without scratching the inside of the upper tube.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
90 Posts
forks are easy man. Ijust did the forks on my Buell due to the fact my inner tubes were bent (damb guard rails) I also do them every season for my dirt biker buddys. You can make a seal driver out of a PVC TEE. The easyest way to do the oil is when you are draining the forks measure the oil coming out then you will have an idea as to about how much to put back in. Just take it slow and by all means use the book and follow what they say for the valves (VERY IMPORTANT). Be carefull not to scratch the tube.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
From the sounds of what you are saying I would highly suggest you have some one do them for you that has experience in this area.

If they are inverted forks you need a spring compressor to get them apart. Some riders take them apart from the bottom to avoid using a spring compressor. Good luck getting the air out and the right amount of oil level back in them when putting them back together. $250 is about the run of the mill cost for both forks to be serviced with new seals if you remove them yourself.

If they have never been serviced before your fork oil will look like mud or really dark coffee.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Scared yet I get them all the time in a bag after some one has tried to do it in their garage.

You can cause more damage then good if you are not careful when removing the seal. Most seals that have been in there for a while need a little help with some heat to get them out without scratching the inside of the upper tube.
Nope not scared Dont think that I need to be. that was a great post!!! No there not inverted they are off my 01 600. Dont know if they have every been serviced as I have only had this bike since this past Dec. 24th. Any other info would be super as it looks like you have a wealth of info in this subject.

·
Registered
89 Posts

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Nope not scared Dont think that I need to be. that was a great post!!! No there not inverted they are off my 01 600. Dont know if they have every been serviced as I have only had this bike since this past Dec. 24th. Any other info would be super as it looks like you have a wealth of info in this subject.
Basically the pictures I posted is what you will have to do to your forks except you do not need a spring compressor. I will take some pictures of upright forks and post them for you in the next couple of days so you can get an idea of what you need to do. You have to be careful when seperating the tubes and when you are re-installing the fork cap that you do not damage the rebound needle.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Basically the pictures I posted is what you will have to do to your forks except you do not need a spring compressor. I will take some pictures of upright forks and post them for you in the next couple of days so you can get an idea of what you need to do. You have to be careful when seperating the tubes and when you are re-installing the fork cap that you do not damage the rebound needle.
That would be awesome! Thanks!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.