Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unable to reach apropiate front sag, going to cut my fork springs thinking about 10% it that too much,,,

Ride Safe...........................

·
Registered
522 Posts
I woulnt cut them... I dont know a whole lot about fork springs. but in relation to cars u never want to just cut your springs cause it will mean that the spring still has to travel the same amount of distance to cusion a blow yet you would be giving it 10% less room to do so. meaning it would be more likely to bottom out the suspaension like that. why dont u get some that are made for your weight. what steps r u taking to measure your sag? Please be precise with your steps. check this site out, www.traxxion.com , u can email Max and he will tell u a suggested spring rate for ur bike based of the rider weight so u can reach those magic sag numbers. he also has a dvd called suspension for mortals that taught me alot about sag and supension setup!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
measures....

Free Sag - Difference between suspension fully extended and bike standing by it´s own ( didn´t take the stiction into the ecuation )

Static Sag - Difference between suspension fully extended and bike standig by it´s own + Rider + Gear (suit,boots,helmet,gloves,wallet, condoms etc.. ja ja ja ) + plus two friends to kee´U from falling.

My Bike GSXR600 - 2003 - no mods
Me... Rider Geared 185 pounds

Settings
Front Preload - All in, no lines showing
Rear Preload - 6 Lines Showing (from the top of the collar to the top of the threads)

Front Rear
Free Sag - 27 mm 5 mm
Static Sag - 41 mm 27 mm

thanks in advise for the help....
and ride safe...................

·
Registered
67 Posts
how much are you trying to lower the front?!?
based on your weight you should be able to get the correct sag with stock springs...thats if your trying to set the bike up for better handling around corners?!

what are you trying to set the bike up for? :headscrat

·
Registered
67 Posts
GixxerG said:
Settings
Front Preload - All in, no lines showing
if you have your preload turn all the way in you front end isnt going to sag for shit
you have you springs fully loaded!

what about the compression and rebound settings?

there is more to it just preload

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any advice.........

I´m not trying to lower the front, I´m going to replace the removed coils with a spacer of the same lenght to maintain the same height.
Just want to increase the Spring Rate... just don´t know how many coils do I have to remove to obtain a 10% stiffier spring.

thanks,,,,,

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I WOULD NOT CUT THE SPRING.. You can get the correct springs for about $100.

If you must "RIG" it, add washers for spacers inside the fork on top of the springs. You need washers close to the inside diameter of the forks. Center the preload adjuster and measure your sag. Then calculate how much your sag is off and add that much in spacers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To Late........ It´s Done.....

Ok buddies,,,,,, my 0.02 cents....
shortened my springs by 1 active coil ( Gsxr 600 - 2003 ) only have 14 active coils. acordingly to racetech Gixers 600 have .780 Kg/mm factory springs, righ now I have mor or les .850 Kg/mm

before the cut I have to use ALL IN preload to achieve decent amount of sag, right now I'm closer to desired sag figures and still have 4 lines of preload.

I only replace with a spacer the amount equal to the removed coil.

until now I feel the bike bottoms much less and using the same amount of compresion damping, so looks like it really works ( probably not like performance spring but at least things didn´t went wrong )

Ride Safe........... :hammer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts