Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am leaking fluid on my 04 Gsxr 600 I pretty sure I need to replace the fork seals and dust cover but I have never done it before. I have been watching videos on YouTube are there any tips I should be aware of or any info you want to pass on ?

·
Premium Member
8,555 Posts
The service manual also covers the process very well. It's not a hard job as long as you have some mechanical ability and any special tools if required.

Have you checked a local suspension shop to do the forks for you. The ones around me are pretty reasonable for a fork rebuild.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
For rebuilds aren't hard, but to do it right you need a seal driver. Based on the age of the bike, you really shouldn't stop there and be satisfied with a pump and dump oil change. You'll want someone to completely disassemble, clean and put back together with new seals and maybe bushings too. It'll be cheaper than buying the tools to do it yourself. If you can take the legs off yourself, you've done a lot of the work already.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
There is a regular over on 13X / WERA Forum- that says 95% of the time if he just uses some kind of seal cleaning tool - forgot what's it's called- that it takes care of it and doesn't leak anymore?
I've never tried it. But there are some pretty smart fellas over there, worth a shot?

As Chuck stated, brings the fork tubes out of the bike really cut the cost of the repair.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,204 Posts
There is a regular over on 13X / WERA Forum- that says 95% of the time if he just uses some kind of seal cleaning tool - forgot what's it's called- that it takes care of it and doesn't leak anymore?
I've never tried it. But there are some pretty smart fellas over there, worth a shot?

As Chuck stated, brings the fork tubes out of the bike really cut the cost of the repair.
I was thinking about that but it seemed sketchy and didn't want to forward it. The garage fix I was aware of was to take an old credit card and cut it in the shape of the number 1. You insert the top of the 1up into the dust cover and seal and rotate it around the fork to clean out any dirt and debris. My concerns were A: getting it hung up in there and not getting it out...and B: grinding dirt and crap into my seals destroying them in the process.

Like I said, it looks real sketchy to me but others claim it has worked. Might work if I was REALLY desperate but I wouldn't go that route personally.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I am leaking fluid on my 04 Gsxr 600 I pretty sure I need to replace the fork seals and dust cover but I have never done it before. I have been watching videos on YouTube are there any tips I should be aware of or any info you want to pass on ?
I recently had the fork seals done on my k6 1k . Most shops local want about 300$ , I did the same thing watched some vids etc looked up instructions it dont seem incredibly difficult how ever you can do it wrong and screw up your forks and the job does require some tools . I wound up finding a local small mom and pop shop to do the job for 200$ Total including parts With oem seals. we ordered the parts and about a week later they came in I dropped my bike off and the same day it was done. I’d say look for a smaller shop to give you a better price on the job if your worried about doing the job your self

1 - 6 of 6 Posts