Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yea i cant figure it out. There is firm pressure after the initial 1 inch of travel. I went through the system again a few days ago and there is no leaks. Here is what i have and done. 2016 brand new m/c, core ss lines, arashi wave rotors, ebc hh sintered pads, and new o rings but not new pistons( the old ones looked good ) the calipers are the 2 pc tokicos. Im running teflon tape on all the bleeders, and Chinese ride it levers, but the result is the same even with stock levers. I cleaned the system with it all apart and not a spec of dust. When the brakes come on its good, its just the travel that is the problem, because by the time they are on the lever is almost touch my knuckles. I had a friend of mine who races and has track bikes come and look at it and he is stumped too. I have been working on bikes and cars since i was 10 and never encountered this. The only thing is maybe from taking it apart so many times the crush washers are worn but there is zero air in there. But i recently found a set of k9 monoblocks and they will be here soon and we shall see whats up. I didnt want to put on the fake brembos that came stock on the newer models and i didnt want the to lay down the cash for some m4 brembos, plus i have heard stories that the k9 monos are just as good if not a bit better. So im interested to see what happens next so i will keep you posted. Sorry for the bad grammer guys. Thanks for your help and comments.

I'm assuming those levers are adjustable, right? I've seen people with adjustable levers have positioned too close and run out of lever travel because the levers hits their knickles or the bar before they can squeeze them on at full brake application. Try adjusting them out some and retesting. I'd be willing to bet that adjusting them out will let you reach full brake pressure before the lever touches.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't think the two halves of two part calipers are ever meant to be separated. That could be the problem.
I would see if I could borrow an aftermarket MC first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That lever travel is with the levers adjusted all the way out, in actuality i have to reach a little to apply the brakes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2019 and the front brake lever travels way too far for my liking. If I two fingers grab the lever it hits my knuckles before the brakes grab. I have never had this issue before on any bike. Your not alone. Eagerly awaiting your results.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
So it gets hard after the initial travel. That's a good sign. So really the pistons are just springing back too far. When you assembled, did you use any lube on the seals and pistons? Those square seals act sort of like a spring and pull the pistons back in ever so slightly. If they're a little sticky, the piston will stretch them a little farther and pull them back in farther. More travel at the piston means more travel at the MC. Honestly, just riding it and some hard braking might walk them out and fix your travel issue.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I have a 2019 and the front brake lever travels way too far for my liking. If I two fingers grab the lever it hits my knuckles before the brakes grab. I have never had this issue before on any bike. Your not alone. Eagerly awaiting your results.
Isn't your's adjustable? Are they bled correctly?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tried rebleeding them and am going to grab something rubber mallet-like to give some taps to the calipers with the top bleeder open. I put short levers on it but the problem existed before I did that. Not sure about adjustable, the manual didn't say anything about adjusting them and if it did I missed it.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Adjustable- as in most front brake levers have an adjustment- on the lever itself for the travel in or out.
Don't forget all three bleed screws- the one on the MC too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes my levers are adjustable, it's currently set far enough out that I can comfortably reach it with two fingers without having to reach or unintentionally roll the throttle while reaching. My other bike brake levers have all been set-up similarly and I have never had a lever touch my knuckles without grabbing before.

·
Registered
371 Posts
So it gets hard after the initial travel. That's a good sign. So really the pistons are just springing back too far. When you assembled, did you use any lube on the seals and pistons? Those square seals act sort of like a spring and pull the pistons back in ever so slightly. If they're a little sticky, the piston will stretch them a little farther and pull them back in farther. More travel at the piston means more travel at the MC. Honestly, just riding it and some hard braking might walk them out and fix your travel issue.
I like the idea of some hard braking to see if the pistons are sticking.

The other thing is checking to see if the rotor is centered of the caliper and u didnt misplace a spacer or something.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts