Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, me and buddy were out riding, me on my new 750 and his 1000.. I had turned around and was just getting up to speed then all of a sudden the front brakes locked 100% up.. I didn't touch the front brakes, and the handle was stuck open with a ton of pressure on it. The bike did sort of a stoppie going down the highway, I couldn't do anything and fell on the left side, the people behind me said i flipped 3 times before stopping. The only thing hurt on the bike is the left lower middle fairing, handle bar, clutch, and windscreen. I faired fine with a hurt wrist, side, and foot. Anyone know why this might have happened?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you have the MC recall done? Do you have ebay levers?
Bike is in the shop having the recall done now, and it does have aftermarket levers, but this is my first bike and i know nothing about it. I asked the guy at the store and he said it was a suzuki brand.

·
Live Fast Die FUN
14,135 Posts
Suzuki doesn't make any "after market" levers. There are known issues with eBay and cheap levers not mounting properly and causing this type of issue. Usually its cheap levers, installation error or both.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Suzuki doesn't make any "after market" levers. There are known issues with eBay and cheap levers not mounting properly and causing this type of issue. Usually its cheap levers, installation error or both.
What srad said!!! I myself have Fp levers which are aftermarket levers I installed right before getting the Mc recall done. No problems so far. See if you can find out the brand on the actual lever or a pic just to see if we can tell u exactly what brand it was.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
How would cheap levers cause lock up without any brake input?
The pin/plunger or what ever it's called doesn't seat well in to the lever and keeps the reservoir port closed all the time. So when the brake fluid gets warmer and expands it can only push caliper pistons causing the brakes to eventually lock up.

Usually it's caused by a poor installation or sometimes you have to drill the lever hole bigger. Some aftermarket levers come with a different size pin/plunger.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The pin/plunger or what ever it's called doesn't seat well in to the lever and keeps the reservoir port closed all the time. So when the brake fluid gets warmer and expands it can only push caliper pistons causing the brakes to eventually lock up.

Usually it's caused by a poor installation or sometimes you have to drill the lever hole bigger. Some aftermarket levers come with a different size pin/plunger.
I see the potential in a smaller lever hole not allowing the pin to slide into it (keeping the brakes engaged) but I agree more on the installation error.

I got my levers for 25 bucks shipped from China and they're working beautifully now. Pretty good quality, equivalent to a buddy's ASV levers. I checked the hole fitment multiples times and it slides in well so maybe I got lucky with a proper fit *knocks on wood*

Neely, when you get the bike back, take off the brake lever and try and measure the hole and pin with calipers to see if there's any clearance.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I see the potential in a smaller lever hole not allowing the pin to slide into it (keeping the brakes engaged) but I agree more on the installation error.

I got my levers for 25 bucks shipped from China and they're working beautifully now. Pretty good quality, equivalent to a buddy's ASV levers. I checked the hole fitment multiples times and it slides in well so maybe I got lucky with a proper fit *knocks on wood*

Neely, when you get the bike back, take off the brake lever and try and measure the hole and pin with calipers to see if there's any clearance.
Yep, you just need to make sure that it is working like it should. No matter what lever you are installing. Lots of people use the Chinese levers and they work well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, lots of people use Chinese levers and they work great, but the quality control just isn't there. There have been a couple of well documented cases of it online where the lever itself was defective and caused the brakes to lock.

It's not something that goes bad over time, it's a defect from the start. So as long as you install it correctly and have no issues immediately after, you should be good.
-Cody

·
Registered
782 Posts
Some things you just don't cheap out on. I guess some need to learn the hard way.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Shit it happened to me with some ASV levers. Didn't get the plunger in all the way and a quarter mile later it felt like I was losing power so I release the throttle to pullover and got down to about 10 mph before it locked up on me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bike is in the shop having the recall done now, and it does have aftermarket levers, but this is my first bike and i know nothing about it. I asked the guy at the store and he said it was a suzuki brand.
dodge a bullets on this one i replace my lever on mine the price of one oem is the price of a pair of eBay ones nice to see that it pays iff

·
Registered
66 Posts
Shit it happened to me with some ASV levers. Didn't get the plunger in all the way and a quarter mile later it felt like I was losing power so I release the throttle to pullover and got down to about 10 mph before it locked up on me.
installer error can also play a part...haha. glad you were okay!
-Cody

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought some cheap e-bay levers from China for my CBR600RR. The holes were to small and I had to hone them out. The plunger didn’t seat well either. I suspect it’s the levers. Get rid of them ASAP and put stock ones or quality ones on, to muck risk not to do so.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought these off e-bay
MC Short Adjustable CNC Levers Suzuki GSXR1000 2009 - 2015 Red

I noticed the holes were small on both clutch,and brake lever.I made it out of 2nd,and into 3rd before I got slammed
to the ground.I destroyed an Arai,and luckily had on full leathers.
Broke 7 ribs minor internal bleeding,and destroyed collarbone
I will never put anything on again that's not oem levers.

Oh ,I'm new here too ")
Been riding my whole life,and never encountered this :frown

·
Super Moderator
8,889 Posts
I bought these off e-bay
MC Short Adjustable CNC Levers Suzuki GSXR1000 2009 - 2015 Red

I noticed the holes were small on both clutch,and brake lever.I made it out of 2nd,and into 3rd before I got slammed
to the ground.I destroyed an Arai,and luckily had on full leathers.
Broke 7 ribs minor internal bleeding,and destroyed collarbone
I will never put anything on again that's not oem levers.

Oh ,I'm new here too ")
Been riding my whole life,and never encountered this :frown
Nice first post! Glad to hear it wasn't worse at those speeds.

Post an intro, with pics of your bike, in the "new riders and members" section when you get a chance.

Reactions: Racerxxxgsxr1000

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chinese ebay levers can be very appealing at $25.00 and I have used them on my previous bike (CBR500R) without issue but the more I read about these failures the more I have decided to stick with the OEM levers which are pretty good to start with.

Here is a video that some of you may have already seen but it's not worth risking your life for the inconsistent quality out of china.

Here is is explaining what happened.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
I've had multiple bikes with the ebay levers on and only ran into the lock up thing one time, it's all about the installation! If the installation is done correctly you should have no issues with them, you have to make sure you line up that little pin!! The only other thing I usually do with them is go over them and tighten them up a lil bit but that's just a personal/OCD thing of mine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts