Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new front sprocket w/ 1 less tooth. Now my bike makes a clicking noise from that area whenever the clutch is free, or the bike is just free rolling. Just curious what could cause this. My clutch seems a bit looser but looking at the settings they all appear to be the same.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
r u talking about the washer in between the bolt that holds the sprocket on? if so, no i left it on there... and i also noticed the stock sprocket had rubber all around it and this one does not.

·
Registered
46 Posts
im not really sure what your clicking noise is but check how tight your chain is,maybe its a little loose and it making a "clicking" noise...and when i did my sprocket/ chain conversion on my 04 600,the stock sprocket also had the rubber and the aftermarket one did not so i dont think that is your issue.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Did you apply loc tite and torque the sproket nut to spec? If the chain is not to loose or to tight, I would take your sproket cover back off and double check everything.

Ive heard alot of people having this issue but ive changed mine on my K8 and had no problems.

I believe the rubber piece on the stock sproket is to reduce sproket/chain noise.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Chain/Sprockets

It should not make any noise if you installed it right. Did you get the right size sprocket or the right sprocket altogether?

I personally would never change just one sprocket unless the chain and the other sprocket has less the 500 miles on it. The chain and sprockets develop wear patterns in them.

I would put the old sprocket back on and if the noise goes away you have solved your problem.

When you say an inch of play in the chain is that with you on the bike or off?

The proper way to determine if you have the right slack in the chain is to sit on it. Then have a friend move it to see if there is some slack in it about 1/4 or so of free play just as long as it is not tight.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes its the correct size sprocket made for my bike and its just one less tooth. Thats why i changed it.

i torqd it to 85 ft lbs. i couldn't find the spec i can't find a manual online either.

i took the sprocket cover back off and redid everything and i still have the same noise.

im gonna talk to my buddy tommorrow he works at this local shop and he knows his shit. So ill see tommorrow i guess and ill be back to post the answer if i find it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Chain is too tight or just sucks. How old is the chain? I thought it was recomended 1-1.5" play in the chain? ou need some play, unless you are setting it when you are on the bike. The chain tightens when your fat ass gets on the bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.