Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought a 03 gsxr 1000.. has a 16 tooth 530 front sprocket on it. The sprocket it had did not have a lip on it but had a washer. Is that washer sufficient enough to be able to torque it down with. It’s came loose twice since I’ve had it so far. This last time I put the sprocket on then washer and from what I understand it’s washer first then sprocket then nut. Just don’t understand why came loose..

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
IIRC, the washer is supposed to be bent/divoted over/on to the nut to keep it from loosening?
Help me out here people, is that right?

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
2,108 Posts
Depends on the setup. Some do have a washer that is supposed to be behind it, but it should still have the "lock" washer as Todd described. It's just a really thin washer, that gets bent over the flat sides of the nut to keep it from turning. Sounds like you might be missing it. Post a picture of what you have.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
110 Posts
So I recently bought a 03 gsxr 1000.. has a 16 tooth 530 front sprocket on it. The sprocket it had did not have a lip on it but had a washer. Is that washer sufficient enough to be able to torque it down with. It’s came loose twice since I’ve had it so far. This last time I put the sprocket on then washer and from what I understand it’s washer first then sprocket then nut. Just don’t understand why came loose..
Some need thread lock. What torque are you setting it to?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Used thread lock both time and torqued to 75 lbs.. I’ve heard the washer between the nut and sprocket. Also have heard the washer behind the sprocket?
Can you photograph it? Also, if the sprocket is used, does it fit real tight on the splines, with sharp rectangular edges or is it slightly rattly and/or slightly slanting?

You might be better off buying a new sprocket, if it is a loose/worn fit on the splines then that will allow it to come loose.

Should always be sprocket, washer nut AFAIK. Does this have the speedo collar and machine screw on this model? I don't know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you photograph it? Also, if the sprocket is used, does it fit real tight on the splines, with sharp rectangular edges or is it slightly rattly and/or slightly slanting?

You might be better off buying a new sprocket, if it is a loose/worn fit on the splines then that will allow it to come loose.

Should always be sprocket, washer nut AFAIK. Does this have the speedo collar and machine screw on this model? I don't know.
Has brand new sprocket on this bike

brand new sprocket came loose! Could it be the threads on the countershaft?

·
Administrator
11,501 Posts
That does not look like the correct sprocket. Too thin. The nut is just bottoming on the threads from what I can see.

Suzuki parts pictures are usually pretty good and their part looks a lot thicker. The sprocket should cover all the splines.

Font Pattern Parallel Monochrome Screenshot

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Administrator
11,501 Posts

·
Administrator
11,501 Posts
Not really. I was going to suggest getting a stock sprocket but $75 is pretty steep.

I would make an effort to find out how thick the sprocket is in the spine area of that part number 27510-21A31
sprocket (it is 17 teeth stock).

I hope you see my point. When you put the nut on now, you are just bottoming it out on the threads and splines and not holding the sprocket at all. It is just bouncing around on the splines.

I would measure the width of the splines on the countershaft and make sure whatever you get is at least that thick.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No it completely makes sense! I was curious as to why others ones had a “lip” and why this one was so thin. I noticed on my other 03 gsxr 1000 that is running a 520 pitch was a bit “snugger” on the splines. Do they make different sprockets with same pitch but wider or smaller “grooves” for the splines?

·
Registered
110 Posts
No it completely makes sense! I was curious as to why others ones had a “lip” and why this one was so thin. I noticed on my other 03 gsxr 1000 that is running a 520 pitch was a bit “snugger” on the splines. Do they make different sprockets with same pitch but wider or smaller “grooves” for the splines?
No, the splines should be nearly interference fit and very snug, but there is often a bit of wear and play that is not "too" significant. Can't really tell from a sofa and computer screen, of course, but the shaft is hardened to be tougher than the sprocket, so the sprocket is meant to wear before the spline. I would tend to assume any looseness is either permissible tolerance or bad sprocket manufacture. (Can't tell from here, you understand.)

I'd tend to recommend JT sprockets and (Z3) chain if you are wanting to replace these items to be sure of what you have, if the OE is too expensive for your taste.

Can I suggest not making too many assumptions just yet, because we can't see the nut and washer. All looks OK to me so far.

The washer fits around the splines and I think is the thick sort, not the bend-edge type.

The nut is not flat on the back (or at least shouldn't be) but has a proud edge and is concave, so that it fits 'around' the spline and will press on the washer.

If someone has fitted the wrong nut, like a plain regular nut, that'd explain it. If the washer has become pinched and not sitting flat, that would also explain it (you need to hold it central when initially tightening the nut else it drops into the wrong position). I think one of those has happened because the witness marks on the sprocket aren't in the right place. there should be a nice ring showing the witness mark of the washer pressed on it, and it's all over the place. Looks like the shaft was rotated 120 degrees anti-clockwise as you look at it in the photo and the washer was allowed to drop down.

Can you take another photo with the washer and the nut, and just nip the nut up, you don't need to do the full torque, just hand tight plus a small crank with a spanner? The sprocket should be quite secure at that point and not wobble around. You should not be able to get a fingernail between the nut/washer or washer/sprocket anywhere around the full 360.

·
Registered
110 Posts
(PS... if you think that looks too thin, you should see the 520 I have just installed on mine! It looks literally half that thickness! The splines should be visible like that at that point in the installation.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
(PS... if you think that looks too thin, you should see the 520 I have just installed on mine! It looks literally half that thickness! The splines should be visible like that at that point in the installation.)
so I have the same motorcycle in my garage with a 520 on it so I’m definitely aware of the thinness. Also, I did order the factory one suggested. It has the same “lock nut” as my other bike too. The one on the left is the nut to my current bike with its washer

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Automotive tire Body jewelry Wood Scaled reptile Jewellery
Bicycle part Automotive tire Gear Auto part Metal
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive design Automotive fuel system

so I have the same motorcycle in my garage with a 520 on it so I’m definitely aware of the thinness. Also, I did order the factory one suggested. It has the same “lock nut” as my other bike too. The one on the left is the nut to my current bike with its washer

1 - 20 of 32 Posts