Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
SuperMod of the North
28,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I hummed and hawed about where to put this. I was going to tack it on the build thread I did but the answers may be better searched if it is on it's own.

I have been commuting on the bike daily for a couple months now and it runs and handles great. I haven't done any spirited or aggressive riding, there just hasn't been time to go out and play a bit! At any rate, I went for a little run on the way home and put it into a corner hard enough the front tire had to do some work. I was not on the brakes when the bike tipped in and accelerated through and out of the turn. The problem is that the front wheel kinda skittered out a couple inches on me then caught and hooked up. I puckered the seat enough to stand the bike back up. Thinking it was sand or something on the road I gave it a shot again a couple miles later. Same thing, front tire slid out a couple inches before it caught.

I don't have much experience with suspension so I am looking for troubleshooting or suspension settings to check. Current conditions are as follows:

1989 GSXR 1100
Bike is completely stock with factory suspension setup per the manual
Forks have preload, compression and damping adjustment
Shock has preload and damping adjustment
Front tire is a Metzler - was a new unused tire installed and balanced when the rims were powder coated - running about 35psi in both tires
Rear tire is different (yay) Michelin Pilot - also new
Bike is at stock height with stock dog bones
Bike skipped the front on/between change from braking to power
Both were right hand turns - if that matters to anyone. I decided not to try it going left till I sort it out.

Any ideas here would be great. I didn't have this issue with my previous 2010 GSXR 600 so I don't think it is me although, granted, that one was smaller lighter and less powerful so it may still be me thinking the big girl will dance like the little girl did.

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,563 Posts
When you say "new", what is the actual date code on the tire? You can have a tire that hasn't been ridden on, but if it's 7 years old it will not be as soft and gripping as a 2 year old tire. Also, the handling characteristics between '89 and 2010 are going to be drastic. That said, I haven't experienced anything like that on my '95, so I would think that's not the issue. Check the date code...

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
Where in the turn did it "skitter"? Did the bars turn into the turn at the same time?

In one sentence you say you were not on the brakes then later say it was happening between braking and acceleration. Which is it or both?

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
SuperMod of the North
28,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn’t see a date code. The tire was purchased and installed 3 years ago. Mets let Sportec M1.

I want to say the bars turned out but now you ask I can’t be certain. It is instinctive to turn in and stand the bike up. I’m gonna say it turned out for now. Perhaps my entrance speed was too slow and it just wanted to fall over? It did not buck like it wanted to be a high side

Be it right or wrong…I typically downshift to the gear I want for exit then clutch in. To get to my entrance speed I am light on the rear brake to plant the front then front brake firm to slow. Just before turn in off the rear and at turn in off the front brakes and tip it i while I feather the clutch out and add throttle.

·
SuperMod of the North
28,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome. Long detailed explanation and never mentioned when in that mess it happened. What a Champ.

It happened just as I finished tip in and was finishing the transfer to power. Might have been a little light front brake left but was rolling into the power starting my acceleration. The point where you feel the chassis pick up the turning forces and the bars feel like they push up at you.

·
SuperMod of the North
28,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have lots more torque than the 600 but I am not giving it enough onions to be causing the front to be lifting WB. As cool as it is when the big boys wheelie out of a corner I’m not that guy.

I can power the front up but that is usually 5K and up with hard throttle. This is happening around 3K smoothly rolling it back in. I don’t think there is enough jam there to get it light.

Reactions: Winchester Boy

·
Registered
573 Posts
When you say "new", what is the actual date code on the tire? You can have a tire that hasn't been ridden on, but if it's 7 years old it will not be as soft and gripping as a 2 year old tire. Also, the handling characteristics between '89 and 2010 are going to be drastic. That said, I haven't experienced anything like that on my '95, so I would think that's not the issue. Check the date code...
I had a similar experience when I bought my current 750. Bike was a '11. I bought it 2018(?).
The tire looked brand new with no wear on the sides and huge chicken strips.
Took it straight to the track and the front just didn't feel right. But instead of easing up, I just kept going faster and eventually the front let go at a lean angle that should have been easy peasy.
I checked out the date code the the tire was likely the oems that came with the bike...

3 years doesn't sound that bad. My tire I think spent a bunch of chicago winters outside and really lost all kinds of grip....

·
Registered
573 Posts
Really hard to imagine cornering hard enough to break front tire traction on the streets... unless the was rain or oil or painted lines or debris.. so if mechanically the bike is sound(wheel/steering bearings not shot), good tire pressures, I would tend to blame the tires...

Hate it when something like that happens, it sucks your confidence away

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
Lucky you didn't hi side it, I'm guessing the Metzler is junk. I would highly recommend a Road 5!!! I've seen WB railing on Road 3 and these are better

Reactions: Winchester Boy

·
SuperMod of the North
28,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is funny you mention chicken strips on the front. This tire seems to have a much rounder profile than the Bridgestones I am used to and I have about the same strips on these from just commuting than I did beating up the Bridgestones on the 600.

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
You are turning in with the clutch in? (lever pulled back otherwise clutch disengaged?)

Reactions: Tinsnips and JCW

·
SuperMod of the North
28,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Engaging while I dip in. I am guessing you are about to tell me I should brake - transfer to power - tip in with the suspension settled?

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
All I can do is waste some space but it seems to me that all the possible bases have been covered: tire condition, road condition, and suspension setup.

Oh, and a tire slipping while leaning into a corner can def bring a considerable amount of 'pucker factor' along with, it as you observed.

I will now return to reading the words of the wiser ones so I can learn something.

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
Engaging while I dip in. I am guessing you are about to tell me I should brake - transfer to power - tip in with the suspension settled?
I guess I have not heard of anyone going into a corner with the clutch disengaged and engaging it as you get into the corner. It seems to be a lot of work and I don't see the purpose.

The reason I asked about what the bars were doing as it "skiddered" was that they will naturally try to turn into the turn if they lose traction. I'm not sure what is causing your issue.

·
Administrator
5,527 Posts
Not sure what you weigh Tin I am about 190 suited which is about the only way I ride. I pretty much run 32-33 F and 30-31R and never touch the clutch all my shifting is done before the turn I may be hard on the front brake and ease off as I enter the turn. The Idea is to not upset the suspension. Then about halfway out I start getting back on the gas. Sounds like you may have just upset the suspension and she let you know in no uncertain terms she didn’t like it. Also as others have pointed out 3year old tire not kept in climate controlled conditions could be a factor too.

·
SuperMod of the North
28,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
John, I never did replace the oil in the forks now that I think about it. That may help.

From what I am hearing it sounds like the tire is likely the weakest link in the equation but not the root cause. At this point I am thinking my 2010 600 was much more forgiving with a slipper clutch and more refined suspension. It likely hid a lot of bad habits.

The root cause is likely in the seat. I will put a lid on the harder riding for the season and just enjoy being out on it. I’ll tear down the forks in the off season and rebuild those, buy her some new shoes amd work on a rider upgrade next year. Looks like a couple track days or riding schools might be money well spent.

Reactions: rv6john

·
SuperMod of the North
28,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am about the same size Jet. I’ll drop the tire pressure a bit too.

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,563 Posts
I am really curious what the date code is on those tires. If they were mounted 3 years ago, they can easily be 4+ year old tires. That will be a major factor in pushing the traction limits.

Reactions: Todd_Sails
1 - 20 of 27 Posts