Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I didn’t see a date code. The tire was purchased and installed 3 years ago. Mets let Sportec M1.
All drains lead to the Ocean.

All tires have a date code LOL.

·
SuperMod of the North
28,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Date code is 0218. 3 1/2 years old. Likely a contributing factor (along with the fact it went through a build with oil and crap on the floor) but I think you were closer to it when you said there would be a big difference in handling. John has me thinking my technique could use some improvement and that matches with what Jet said, I pissed it off and it isn't taking my bullshit like to newer bike did.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I am really curious what the date code is on those tires. If they were mounted 3 years ago, they can easily be 4+ year old tires. That will be a major factor in pushing the traction limits.

View attachment 296098
That 4 digit is : First 2 #'s are the Week number of the year.
The second/last 2 digits are the last 2 of the year.

This is the 50th week of 2020.
Almost a 2021 tire!
Right?

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,566 Posts
That is correct Todd. That is my son's new tire for his 2001 750. I was just posting an example, as not everyone knows about them. Personally, 3 years is my maximum for motorcycle tires. Way too much relying on them. Others have different opinions on a tires life limits. Each to their own.

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Professional Rick Roller
882 Posts
Tin I would suggest taking her out and running through some curves with all your braking/clutching/shifting ect. finished well before you dip in. Smooth on the throttle with just a slight increase on exit to help you out of the turn.
Obviously this is along the same lines as what John and Jet were thinking. This is the way I was always taught to approach a curve anyway but especially for this particular issues it would be an easy way to take several potential causes out of the equation before you start troubleshooting other things.
Good luck and be careful brother! Not a fun situation to experience. I've been there with old tires and tar snakes. 😳 It will definitely wake you up!

·
Super Moderator
10,110 Posts
The first two digits are the week, the second two the year. So 0218 is mid January 2018.

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm just gonna put this here... no judgements made ;)
I remember a couple times getting a false neutral going into a corner. OMG, I don't know if it was the loss of engine brake or loss of stability by losing the gyro of all those spinning pistons, crank and gears as the revs dropped to nothing, but I could barely make the corner.

I've heard of people clutching in while turning...but as the pace picks up I feel it's better in gear than not both from a stability and vehicle control standpoint.

This though I don't "think" caused the front to slide...
Things that I could see causing this... decrease in friction at the road surface from oil/paint/rain/sand. Or suspension bottoming while cornering from a bump due to suspension issues ie fork oil level, etc.
One thing you could do to check the suspension is the zip tie on the fork tube trick. If you are bottoming the suspension on corners, that might give you some valuable info. Although, you would think you would notice it on bigger bumps as well...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts