Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I was having an issue where the bike wouldn't rev past 7k, just felt like it was hitting a limiter.

This started happening after I filled my bike up with a full tank.

After some research I decided to take the fuel pump out of the tank and clean the filter, drain the fuel (assuming the fuel was bad)

The filter was a little dirty but not excessive and put everything back together.

I started the bike and initially fired up and idled good and was able to rev the bike. After about 20-30 seconds the bike slowly got worse to the point t that if I revved the bike it was die.

If I turn the bike off and immediately back on the bike was able to start up and rev freely for another short period before dying again

It's like the initial prime of the pump is good and then just gets worse.

Anyone able to help me?

I changed the plugs after this to rule that our but guessing the bike just isn't getting fuel for some reason

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Did you clean both filters? One is the low pressure filter that’s outside the pump and looks similar to a tea bag. The other is inside the pump and runs top to bottom. That should be flushed out gently as it’s easy to damage and isn’t available as a separate part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you clean both filters? One is the low pressure filter that’s outside the pump and looks similar to a tea bag. The other is inside the pump and runs top to bottom. That should be flushed out gently as it’s easy to damage and isn’t available as a separate part.
No I didn't clean that one. Didn't know there was another filter. I only cleaned the sock on the outside. Will have to try and find a video on cleaning the other filter the video guides I watched didn't refer to the other filter

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I stripped down the fuel pump again and cleaned it the best I could. Managed to get the bike to idle and ride but it now won't rev above 4k in any gear.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You probably did not fit the assembly correctly. Did you removed the pressure regulator by any chance? Was it just press fitted?

I have safety wire on mines. I was stranded once when mines slipped out.

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
^ What Rocker said.

A damaged or old o-ring on the pump or the regulator will cause low fuel pressure and the issues you describe.

The high pressure filter is in that plastic housing. There is a paper element inside, back flush it gently.

You should do a fuel pressure and volume check as per the service manual when you are done to make sure it is all back together and working correctly.

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Slope

Reactions: RockerGuy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't remove the fuel pressure regulator. It looked it fairly poor condition visually. I will pull it out and have a look at the o rings.

How easy should it be to blow through the filter housing. Tried blowing through with my mouth and seemed quite a bit of force required to push air through it.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I removed everything again and had a look at the regulator. Visually it looked worn out and old. The o ring looked intact and tight when refitting. I put everything back together and went for a ride again. There was a slight improvement and the bike went to 5k and felt stronger however still wouldn't go past that point.

I'm guessing my issue is either with the pump or the regulator

I will have a look at doing a test on both to see which one however I might just replace the regulator initially as it's very old.

Probably original (18 years old) and the bike has done about 30,000 miles

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
You should be able to blow through the high pressure filter pretty easily.

You'll note that a new filter comes with a new regulator assembly. $300 is not inexpensive but it sounds like you need it.

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Registered
577 Posts
My service manual told me specifically not to remove my pressure regulator. I believe that's what left me stranded.

I would keep an eye on it. Once it comes off, you have zero pressure in the system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you I will keep playing around with it and see how I go however sounds like I will need to replace it all. I have seen some 2nd hand units for sale for $300 for a complete assembly. Might be an option to consider

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I guess I found the problem. After trying to blow through the internal filter with my mouth and finding it very difficult I decided to cut it open to have a look ( to confirm my suspicions) and guessed that it was unable to be saved anyway.

After pulling it apart the filter was very dirty and pulled it apart further and found it very difficult to blow through it. Guessing there was my issue and surprised it ran at all. Guess I need to order myself a new housing

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
Thanks for putting up the pictures.

There is a rig to drill and bypass that filter but I would also bite the bullet and buy a new one as it also includes the suspect fuel regulator. Painful to the wallet but worth it in my opinion.

Reactions: DanK3gsxr1000

·
Registered
599 Posts
I purchased a 11+ gsxr600/750 fuel pump off ebay and took it apart just to see how it works and if the bypass mod described for the previous gen bikes would be applicable.

They are unfortunately not the same and I do not see a way to drill the housing to bypass the high pressure filter for 11+ bikes.

Good thing is that the regulator/high pressure filter housing is sold separately and appears to be available. I saw it for about $120 at motosport.

The whole thing is fairly easy to disassemble. Just have to pull hard on the regulator/filter housing to pull off two hardlines thorugh the orings. It took quite the pull and doing it for the first time I wasn't sure if something was still screwed or snapped together.

Drinkware Gas Personal protective equipment Plastic Machine

Automotive tire Rim Gas Circle Auto part

White Light Gas Machine Engineering

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would have thought that the filter designed would have been a more serviceable item but I guess this one has lasted over 18 years. Hopefully the bike will be a bit happier when my new kit arrives. I purchased a 2nd hand complete assembly including pump and regulator for $345 and looks in very good condition so fingers crossed it solves my issues.

I looked further and appears I have some surface rust in the upper half of the tank where I guess it has sat half empty and been exposed to the air.

Need to tackle this issue before I put the new equipment in otherwise I will be doing this again.

I couldn't believe how blocked that filter got. For a paper filter it had like a film over it preventing all flow through it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts