Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so this is probably going to be a really stupid question but... So when I fill my fuel tank on my K7 600 to the very top, the fuel always seems to settle after a second or two and the level goes down maybe an inch? I'm not talking like I overfilled the tank and the fuel is being dumped under the bike via the overflow hose. I mean in the actual tank, it never seems to stay full. No matter how many times I re-top off, it always drops back down about an inch or so. It isn't being dumped, and it can't just magically be disappearing. I am not a new rider by any means, I have noticed this behavior for years and just never asked anyone about it and I figured it was time to finally know what it happening.

Thank you,

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Wait, are you talking about what I think you're talking about? Do you mean when you fill-up and top it off, the level then drops an inch in the tank?

If that's what you mean, the filler-neck where you add fuel extends down below the top of the tank, so there is space for fuel expansion. It's supposed to be like that so don't try to 'fix' it.

Keep topping it off and it will soon stop settling but that ain't good especially when it's hot outside.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Dougie Houser- sorry, couldn't resist.

At some point of you re topping the tank off, this stops to happen, right? Otherwise, I think you just entered-

The Twilight Zone!

I mean really, it it's not going out the overflow vent near the cap, then it eventually stops going down after topped off, right?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
There's air trapped in the high points of the tank. Fill it at the gas station, then rock it and you'll see it bubble and drop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Todd_Sails, I mean, I would imagine it would stop at some point, yes, but I have never been able to bring myself to do it more than four or five times. I usually just fill it up to the top, let it settle, and then shut the cap.

RockerGuy, it's not daining via the fuel tank drain hose if that is what you are asking

Chuckster, I will try that next time I fill up

HydeWhyte, your answer seems to be the most scientific. I do live in a very warm climate, so I might not fuck around with it if that is the reason.

Thank you to everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts