Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys ride full leathers during the day time? Around here it's been pretty hot; today got up to 103. If you do, is it all that hot or does the moving air help out a lot too?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am in the process of getting a bike still and i was looking at gear and all. but anyway, i'm planning on always going helmet and jacket, but i didnt know if i would be able to bear the heat w/ full leathers on most of the time or if that textile stuff they sell would be better?...i dont know too much about that. also if the textile is cooler, would it be too cold once it cools off. here in springfield its like every kind of weather you can get, -10 in the winter 100+ summer. i dont want to spend a ton of money on stuff i wont use either. usually im not too bad in the heat so any help would be great thanks.

·
Registered
997 Posts
adamh_25_ said:
i am in the process of getting a bike still and i was looking at gear and all. but anyway, i'm planning on always going helmet and jacket, but i didnt know if i would be able to bear the heat w/ full leathers on most of the time or if that textile stuff they sell would be better?...i dont know too much about that. also if the textile is cooler, would it be too cold once it cools off. here in springfield its like every kind of weather you can get, -10 in the winter 100+ summer. i dont want to spend a ton of money on stuff i wont use either. usually im not too bad in the heat so any help would be great thanks.
If you plan to get full gear, get leather pants not textile ones. I personaly don't like it, because it looks like gear for touring bikes. Anyway my friend has it and you get same hot in textile pants like in leather when its hot. And than in cold weather they are good, but so are leather pants. Hey you can always get pants later, you can just keep eye on sales and get later good deal.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Perforated full leathers are fine when moving. It doesnt get to 103 here, but it has been up to 95 and I was still in full leathers. Avoid in town traffic...it sucks.

You can wear that under armor stuff that helps your body sweat and cool off. It helps.

Textile can vent better, but it doesnt necessarily always do. Some textile jackets are just as hot as leather. Just shop wisely.

Your best bet might be, get a set of full perforated leathers, and a mesh jacket. The days you can not stand the heat at all, slap on the mesh jacket. Winter time, wear some sort of wind breaker over the leather and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
adamh_25_ said:
so if i understand you correctly then textile is just about as hot as leathers, but doesnt look half as good?
I wouldnt give a shit about it not looking half as good...how about it protecting half as good :thumbup:

Textile burns through so much quicker than leather. Oftenly it can melt to your skin, sweet stuff.

But yeah alot of textile pants do look like snowboarding pants or something haha.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow no kidding. you would think that a company that professionally makes racing gear would say something about that on the site, that textile will wear through fast and may burn to the skin. i've always thought that leathers would be the way to go, but now im sure. thanks guys...keep the info comin haha. oh yeah evil, i do care about the looks but protection is my main goal. i dont want to go down wearing somethin that will melt to me haha not cool.
adam

·
Registered
997 Posts
evilbologna said:
I wouldnt give a shit about it not looking half as good...how about it protecting half as good :thumbup:

Textile burns through so much quicker than leather. Oftenly it can melt to your skin, sweet stuff.

But yeah alot of textile pants do look like snowboarding pants or something haha.
But yeah alot of textile pants do look like snowboarding pants or something haha...that's how my friend looks like :laughingr
Anyway you are 100% right with protection issue. For me it's like sure think and I didn't even think about that. I personally prefer leather and will never ride in textile stuf

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
adamh_25_ said:
wow no kidding. you would think that a company that professionally makes racing gear would say something about that on the site, that textile will wear through fast and may burn to the skin. i've always thought that leathers would be the way to go, but now im sure. thanks guys...keep the info comin haha. oh yeah evil, i do care about the looks but protection is my main goal. i dont want to go down wearing somethin that will melt to me haha not cool.
adam
Now I'm not 100% bashing textile, but it simply does not beat leather. I've been down in textile, not even that hard, it didnt take much to tear it away, and it was a 200$ joe rocket something. The armor did ok but what good is that if the fabric holding it together rips away? Still better than nothing, if you must go that way.

Take a look over at www.brocktoncycle.com and look through their Fieldsheer leathers. Perf pants 169$, perf jacket 169$. Zips together to make a one piece suit. Short ride just wear the jacket, going tearing through the backroads slap them together for as good of protection you are going to get.

Other companies that have a good rep are the higher end Joe Rocket leathers, Hein Gericke and Teknic. Those are the ones I've had good experiences with.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Textile vs Leather

Well, well, well................this topic come up all the time. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Textile is much cheaper and some are waterproof........The better textiles will protect you as good if not better than leather. Weather hotter than 80 I wear full mesh. It has all the padding and stuff BUT will it protect in a crash??? :hmmm: :headscrat It will be better than wearing nothing at all..............t-shirt and shorts!! ;) So it all depends on your budget...........full leathers would be ideal. I see to many morons riding with their girlfriends in shorts and t-shirts........... :headshake all I can say is OUCH!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JFM GSXR 750 said:
Well, well, well................this topic come up all the time. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Textile is much cheaper and some are waterproof........The better textiles will protect you as good if not better than leather. Weather hotter than 80 I wear full mesh. It has all the padding and stuff BUT will it protect in a crash??? :hmmm: :headscrat It will be better than wearing nothing at all..............t-shirt and shorts!! ;) So it all depends on your budget...........full leathers would be ideal. I see to many morons riding with their girlfriends in shorts and t-shirts........... :headshake all I can say is OUCH!!!!
i agree with the headshake. i see guys riding all the time with nothing but shorts, t-shirt, and sunglasses on. saw a guy w/ his girl on the back and she was wearing a skirt. not the greatest protection in the world right there. hahaha. :infrandom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.