Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lifted my bike a few days ago in the rear, i'm waiting on my vortex sprocket to come in thursday, meanwhile i figured i'd clean the chain so i did. I put the front sprocket cover back on w/ the clutch assembly and decided to turn the bikes power on shifted down into first but couldn't get back up into 2nd, so basically i couldn't get past neutral. Is this a safety mechanism b/c the chain is just hanging and there is no tension on the front sprocket or b/c the rear wheel is off or maybe even putting the sprocket cover back on could i have goofed something, if anyone has any thought , comments, or explainations please feel free to feed me some input otherwise i'm gonna be wiggen out till thursday, and i must keep in mind that i did change the front sprocket a few months ago so i don't know what i coulda goofed, like i said any input would be deeply appreciated, Thanx Bro's , KRUM :headscrat

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
NO safety issue you may wanna take the counter sprocket cover back off and do it by hand kind of twist the sprocket counter clockwise just to take tension off while hittin lever to 1st ( bike off)

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
yea, you either goofed something or you need to move the chain by hand then try it again.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
It is because of the constant mesh tranny. The gears are somewhat backcut, and require a bit of rotation to disengage one gear to go to the next. Try to rotate the sprocket a bit and shift then. If that doesnt work, check the location of your shifter lever on the shifter shaft. If it is off a few teeth it can make shifting a biotch.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm gonna have to try rotating the sprocket, b/c when i removed the shifter i used a pencil and made an X over where everything met up just so this wouldn't happen, thanx 4 the advice fellas, i'll give it a try. :thumbup:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BINGO!!!!!! i grabbed the back of the chain w/ the bike in neutral and gave the front sprocket about 6 full rotations and problem solved, i can't believe i didn't think of this myself, but thanx for the help fellas, Later....KRUM :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
NP man, thats what we're here for :thumbup: :arsenal

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey now, i answer some questions too, just not as many as the SKI :bowdown: .........LOL....u do know your shit though,answer this Q for me, i wanted to clean my chain last night but i couldn't figure out how to get it off, the swingarm was in the way and the chain is endless, so if i woulda undid the swingarm the bike woulda fell b/c it setting on just a race stand till this vortex sprocket gets here tom. how do you put a new chain on or off w/out moving swingarm. I couldn't even find it in the service manual. was it just something i was over looking or what, i know u can answer this one :D

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
rkrummel01 said:
hey now, i answer some questions too, just not as many as the SKI :bowdown: .........LOL....u do know your shit though,answer this Q for me, i wanted to clean my chain last night but i couldn't figure out how to get it off, the swingarm was in the way and the chain is endless, so if i woulda undid the swingarm the bike woulda fell b/c it setting on just a race stand till this vortex sprocket gets here tom. how do you put a new chain on or off w/out moving swingarm. I couldn't even find it in the service manual. was it just something i was over looking or what, i know u can answer this one :D
If its the stock chain then you are going to have cut the chain and by a master link to put it back together. If its an aftermarket chain then it might have a clip that can be removed, if its a rivet type then your going to have to cut it off. A new masterlink is about $5. Other then that you have to take the swingarm off. You should be able to clean the chain just fine without taking it off.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just as i suspected, but i didn't wanna take the swingarm off, i took the easy way out, a bowl under the bike some cleaner a soft brush and some napkins. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
rkrummel01 said:
just as i suspected, but i didn't wanna take the swingarm off, i took the easy way out, a bowl under the bike some cleaner a soft brush and some napkins. :thumbup:
That works, what did you use to clean it?

·
Registered
128 Posts
It is a good thing this topic was brought up, I just went to take a picture of a masterlink, to show Krum what to look for and somehow my masterlink clip fell off. :eek: I personally have never heard of a chain without a masterlink, so here is a pic of what to look for, this is a pic of the masterlink on my stock chain from my bike (whereas my 520 doesn't have one at the momment). Is your chain quite dirty? sometimes they are hard to point out with too much grit on them. Anywho, I put a yellow dot on the rivit, and a red line on the open end of the clip, put flat head plyers on the open end of the clip and the other on the rivit for something to grip to and it will pop right off. It could be too that somehow, your masterlink was put on the wrong way (facing your tire) Did someone else own the bike before you? If so they might of had the chain off for some reason, and put it back on backwards. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I usually use kerosene in anoil pan under the bike to clean with.

as far as not hearing of a chain with no master link, itis called a rivet type master link. What you have is a clip type master link. The rivet type the factory uses is almost impossible to tell which one it is. the aftermarket ones are earier to tell, but you still have to cut it off.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
to reply to everyone's post...SKI, i used kerosene, Granny, 03' factory chains (mine is 525) are endless so they gotta be cut after an upgrade to get the master link or you can ad one to your stock chain, my service manual even says it's an endles chain w/ no master or clip link. so i guess thats how that works. MOTO- u answered granny's Q for me pretty much, so now we all know exactly the same thing. Were all so smart :thumbup:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so now i got my sprocket wen't and bought my torque wrench and whatta ya know, no one around here has a socket to fit the axle nut, i'm gonna give up soon, this is really startin to suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
rkrummel01 said:
so now i got my sprocket wen't and bought my torque wrench and whatta ya know, no one around here has a socket to fit the axle nut, i'm gonna give up soon, this is really startin to suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
its 36mm, just incase you didn't know.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
ski, i scored the socket a little while ago but i need a little help. when using the measurement marks on back of the swingarm should i just use them or measure each side? and how much chain slack should really be given, go by the book or do you like to use a diff. method? and last but not least since this is my first tire removal and reassembly what should i be checking for as in bad signs in my first ride, noises, pulling, anything you can think of let me know, sorry i had so many Q's but i would like to stay on two wheels unless the other is pointing at the moon. later and thanx bro, KRUM :D

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
There are several ways to check to see if the tire is straight. One you can measure fromthe swingarm pivot. two you can tie a piece of string to two paint cans (or anything thatis heavy enough to keep it tight) and put them both in front of the bike. run the string from one can, around the back of the back tire, and back to the other can infront of the bike. Now align the string until it JUST touches the front edge of the back tire. Once ou have that done, measure the distance away from the front tire on each side, making sure the front tire is straight. If it is off adjust accordingly.

As far as slack, I use the stock measurements at the center of the swingarm as the book tells you. to make sure you have the tire cully seated against the chain adjusters put a combination wrench in the sprocket under the chain and roll th back wheel until it is pulled tight by the wrench in the teeth of the sprocket. With the wrench still in place tighten the back wheel. now it is pulled ticht against the adjusters ;)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanx moto, it all helped exept for the spraycan thing i was kinda like :headscrat but i follow you on every thing else thanx bro. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
not spray can. 1 gallon paint can, or anything large and heavy, a fuel can will work. I'll draw a pic to show you. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts