Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

2361 - 2375 of 2375 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
October 19th and 20th with N2. That is the last one for the season at RA. I'm planning on Saturday.

VIR north this Monday then CMP the Sunday after.
Chad is trying to get me to go to RA. My finances are a little tight. I just sold a couple bits from that GSXR partout which might give me the boost I need.. we'll see.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
I've only been to the track twice this year. I need my life to slow down after this house build, Im about stressed.
Next year, I'm gonna step up track!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Guess who found their confidence today! Worked with a coach during session 2. Really worked on BP timing and my downshifts, and in my head I had the attitude "I'm doing this, or hanging it up". I just trusted my equipment and turned it up. Average pace dropped 5 seconds a lap. The crazy thing, I wasn't pushing. I was just focusing on the things that got me bumped down at NCM.

Only negative of the day is that I made a bad pass. Going into T1, I was trying to setup on the outside of a guy that was killing me in the straights. As I started to get by, he swung over and instead of backing off, I forced the pass and we clicked bars. Entirely on me for a bad pass, but he shouldn't have swung to the outside at the very end.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Beer and pizza last night to celebrate the end of a good season. My wife loves to sleep in on the weekends and I sat on the porch with my coffee this morning and reflected on the last year and a half. There's far more to track riding than just good equipment and skill....

I'm 42 years old. I remember being in my 20s and only needing a good nights sleep the night before and the night after. Two and a half years ago, I made a commitment to go to the gym 3 days a week so I could be fit enough to enjoy a day at the track. 2016 I had a tax issue from my side job and couldn't afford to do any trackdays. We were also building a house, so it just wasn't in the cards. 2017 saw me back on the track, and I got 5 days in that year. It was a good year, and I made good advances. 2018 comes around and I start my year at NCM. Day was really going good until session 7 where I destroyed my bike and as I would later learn, my confidence.

I continued to work out all of 2018 and spent my TD budget on rebuilding the bike. First TD back of 2019 was on my home track, but it was a new surface. New track, "new" bike, and I just felt good being back. My lap times were down and I had a lot of things to blame. Just being rusty, lack of "proof" of the rebuild, and the green surface. The biggest thing was the front tire wear. I had a suspension problem. Just another thing to blame. Second day out and I invested in professional help. Got the front sorted out and the tires were wearing good. Saw my lap times creeping closer to where I had been. Day three was at NCM. It was a headgame just to be back at the place where I crashed. I wanted to go fast and prove to myself it wasn't a headgame. Near the end of the day I got bumped down, which just deflated the confidence I thought I had.

I was introduced to Ryan and Blake (the coach that bumped me). Both engaged with me in discussion over the next few days and pointed out some things to me. I had lost my fundamentals. I started this post by saying there's far more to riding. Equipment are the tools, fitness is the means, but having your head in the game is far more important than either one. Technique, focus on breathing and staying relaxed. Seeing the track and using the markers. Listening to the feedback of tires. All these things are the equation of being fast. It seems I had forgotten that.

I would say yesterday was really my first day back. The three days earlier in the season my bike was there, and my body was there. Hell, even my heart was there. My head just wasn't. I won't make that mistake again....

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Like wise. When I had my big crash it took me a long time to really get confidence again. It took the help of coaches and faster friends pushing me to find the groove. This season I turned that corner after struggling all last year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,776 Posts
Just a couple of K6 gsxrs waiting to pit out. My friend John in front.

Great day at VIR yesterday. Misty and cool the first session but the track was dry all day. I can't say I did my best job riding but kept it up and out of the weeds so I'll call it a good day. :grin

John and I in the pit.jpg

·
Registered
438 Posts
My inlaws live less than 10mins from heartland. One of these days, I will make it out there!
Give us a report on how the day goes and what you think of the track!
Stay cool!

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,729 Posts
My inlaws live less than 10mins from heartland. One of these days, I will make it out there!
Give us a report on how the day goes and what you think of the track!
Stay cool!
Uh yeah gonna be a hot one. I raced there a couple times in 2004 but they changed part of it since then. Have only been once, in 2017, on the new configuration but liked it a lot.

2361 - 2375 of 2375 Posts