Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

2481 - 2484 of 2484 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I've been looking into rain/wet tires since they run the class in the rain. With the price of these classes, I don't think I want to be forced to sit out. I can tell my bike is getting old because I can't find any in my size. Michelin's are a 120/60 and 190/69. A smaller front and bigger rear may be too much geometry shift for me. Pirelli has both wets and rains with the right size front, but still a 190 rear. Dunlops come close, and Bridgestone is the same story as the Michelins. The Avon AV57 and AV58 are the only "right size" rains I can find.

·
Super Moderator
9,206 Posts
I've been looking into rain/wet tires since they run the class in the rain. With the price of these classes, I don't think I want to be forced to sit out. I can tell my bike is getting old because I can't find any in my size. Michelin's are a 120/60 and 190/69. A smaller front and bigger rear may be too much geometry shift for me. Pirelli has both wets and rains with the right size front, but still a 190 rear. Dunlops come close, and Bridgestone is the same story as the Michelins. The Avon AV57 and AV58 are the only "right size" rains I can find.
I'll suggest that you just run a good set of DOT tires such as Q3+ or S22s. The class is is not about lap times but techniques, especially level 1. They definitely recommend riding at 75-80% so you can make adjustments. As of last year, CSS ran Q3+ tires on all the bikes including the coaches and I assume they still do.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I was sort of thinking along the same lines. Full rains may be overkill. Something like the Pilot Power 3 would probably be enough. The only difference is that if I get rains I'll have them for wet trackdays too.

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,815 Posts
If you go full rains and it starts drying out you'll be looking to hit puddles on purpose. I've only run them once myself, at Road America. It started drying out and I swear I could smell the tires starting to burn up.

2481 - 2484 of 2484 Posts