Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

2501 - 2518 of 2518 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Well, I think you're at or above the pace I'm at. I was destroying the Q's. I got with the guys from Turn One Racing and they said I needed to move to a more track specific compound and put me on a set of R10s. Those lasted 2-3 days until I got my suspension setup correctly. Even dropped my lap times. Now I'm running the Michelin Power Cup 2. I'm getting 4 days out of a rear now and a full season on the front.

I'm running at Putnam and NCM. NCM is pretty smooth, but Putnam is still green. Guys running softs or with a garbage setup can shred a tire by lunch.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
How much does a set of Power Cup 2's run Chuck? I'm looking to optimize the dollar to tire life ratio. Kind of makes me consider going back to a Q3+ rear and keeping the Q4 up front.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
I paid $373 for the set I have now. I think the B-stones were about $335. But, the B-stone dealer became unreliable. Being that I'm on a 180/55 rear, my choices were pretty narrow. It was down to the Michelin or Pirelli. I've heard good and bad for both, but I knew the Michelins got better wear at Putnam, so that's the way I went.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Thanks for the info Chuck. The Michelins are about the same price as Dunlop race tires. Not sure which I'd prefer...

Has Michelin been developing & pushing their tires more and more in the past 5 years, or has Michelin always been prevalent in this area?

When I was racing AFM in NorCal, most people were on Pirelli, some on Dunlop, and basically nobody on Bridgestone or Michelin. Sometimes the B-stone van wouldn't even show up to race events.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Usually, it's the dominant dealer in the area. STT has the hookup with Michelin, so that's what you see at their events. MTD has Midwest Track Support, and slings Pirelli. Turn One shows up at Putnam and they carry stones. I know a couple stupid fast guys that race on that team and all love the stones. I liked them really well. I never got on Dunlop race tires, so I can't compare.

But it was a huge leap in feel from the Dunlop Q to the Bridgestone R10 and then R11. Now the Michelin feel even better. I used to feel the front of the b-stone working and the rear spinning. I feel like I'm on rails with the Cup 2. Even Dave Moss tried the Cup 2 and said the front took everything he could throw at it and was really impressed with it.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I'm eye balling NCM first weekend in May. My buddy from MO might come out. He's never done a trackday before, doesn't have the gear for it. I'd let him use my bike in novice, but I gotta find a pair of leathers for him to rent. Anybody know a place that will rent him a pair near Bowling Green or St. Louis? He's 5'10", regular build.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Q3, then Q3+. Switched to the stones before the Q4 got released. If I'm going to be completely honest, I sort of lost trust in Dunlop. Lots of tires developing deep cracks and delaminating. Not just track tires either. The Harley crowd has been having issues for a few years too.

Contact Powersports Stuff. They usually come to MTD events and I think he has a limited supply for rent.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Gotcha. The Q4 is a step above the rest. It also costs almost as much as race tires too.. grumble grumble grumble.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
So I've heard. Isn't the Q4 on the same level as the Pirelli TD (they've changed that name...again)? Billed as an 80% track, 20% street tire or something like that? I remember the Q3 marketing said it was performance tire ready for the track. There's a market for guys on the street that want the best tire, so the manufacturers are challenged to give them one that won't kill them. And then there's guys like me that want a tire that can take race like abuse, but last long enough not to get on a first name basis with the tire guy.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
That's what I'm still trying to figure out. The Q4 sticks like a GPA-211 (the last race tire I used) and seems to last like one. But a 8 year old race tire is ancient history no?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
@Chuckster there's a pretty solid rebate on a set of R10's right now. I think I could get a set for $180. Think they're worth purchasing?

Edit: Wife talked me into purchasing. They're too cheap to pass up trying.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
@Chuckster there's a pretty solid rebate on a set of R10's right now. I think I could get a set for $180. Think they're worth purchasing?
Sorry to chime in, but do you have a link? Is it online or at the track? R10's for $180, even if the 190/55 was a little more, still a great deal!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Sorry to chime in, but do you have a link? Is it online or at the track? R10's for $180, even if the 190/55 was a little more, still a great deal!
Here ya go. They're $230 before rebate. Same rebate applies for the RS11's but RMATV didn't have a 180/55, only a 190/55 in the RS11.

2501 - 2518 of 2518 Posts