Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
2521 - 2540 of 2579 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
No, I think that'd certainly be too much since I'm going to VIR on the 3-4 for CSS. Which is another point of frustration right now. The guy I had agreed to travel/room with sent me a message yesterday and has decided to cancel. So out of this group, I'm trying to find someone else to room with, and if anyone has a spot for my stuff. I'm even willing to use my truck to pull their enclosed trailer. It's really going to suck if I have to travel alone with my open trailer, and expensive if I have to room alone. The group is having a Zoom meeting tonight to discuss logistics.

·
Super Moderator
10,070 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Yeah. I'm honestly a bit anxious about it. First time there and first time with CCS. I had the suspension serviced over the winter, new rubber, and I changed the final gear ratio. My plan was to do a trackday at my home track last weekend so I could knock off the rust, tweak the suspension, and see if this gearing change was going to help or hinder. The gearing change won't be an issue at VIR since I won't know the difference.

Learning a new track might be ideal, or it might be a hinderance. Two schools of thought. One, I can learn this track properly. Two, trying to learn the track and working on technique might be too much when combined. Not enough attention can be given to either. I've been told it's really fast paced too. Get off the track, get some water, go to school, then go back on track. Some guys I'm going with say they run street tires just so they don't have to spend time messing with warmers. But there are a couple guys going to NCM on both days, and just packing it up at lunch and heading to VIR. Crazy. I'm just hoping my legs can handle day 2.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I tried riding 4 days in a row once... It was fun the first 2 days. The 3rd was tolerable. The 4th was just miserable. Those guys are hardcore.

I get where you're coming from. I squeezed in a TD before my YCRS school last week. While I'm happy I did, it wasn't necessary. Even less so for CSS since you're starting at "level 1". IMO, don't overthink it. I don't go to schools looking to set down my best pace. I target 75% pace at schools. It gives me time to focus on what the instructors are teaching instead of simply trying to stay alive.

·
Super Moderator
10,070 Posts
What koth said. CSS says to ride at 75% so you have the mental time to make and process changes. Lap times are not even discussed..

They have a good system where they send people out one at a time to practice the drill for the session. The coaches, usually one for each three students, circulate, watch you from behind, make notes and then gives you a tow pointing out corrections or parts of the drill. Immediately after the session, your group meets with the coach for debrief.

The best part is that the coach does not just say "You need to do X in turn 5" but asks something like "What turn did you think you did X best?" and then "Where did you feel weakest?"

I never felt rushed between the class, session and off time. You will also be ahead of the game by watching the Twist of the Wrist video as a lot of the instruction is right out of it.

Some North course observations.
1. T1 was widened a few years back and is huge with plenty of lines that will work well.
2. The rumble strip between T3 and T4a is really big, avoid running over it.
3. Do not turn into T4a early, the track is not that wide on the exit.
4. Do not go wide going up the hill at T7. There is a pavement bump on the outside near the crest and it's highsided a bunch of people.
5 T10 intimidated me when I first saw it but it is a down hill hoot. Many stay wide and slow early before this turn but you can pass inside before the turn and have plenty of room to make a nice turn.

BTW, the rooms at the track are reasonable if they are available.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
We got things figured out last night and I've got a room mate and travel partner now. All good. Think I'm going to change tires from the Cup2 to the Power GP. A lot of the guys were talking about running street or trackday tires so they don't have to mess with warmers.

·
Super Moderator
10,070 Posts
The coaches run Q3+ on their s1000rrs. No warmers.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Did NCM yesterday. After a few years on Q3+'s and Q4's I tried out some RS10's. For context, I run a mid-pack advanced pace. My suspension isn't really setup for any tire. It's just a generic setup by a generic suspension guy. I would put the Q3+ and the RS10's on the same level with the Q4 being a clear advancement. Since I've gained some pace since moving from 3+ to 4, it's hard to tell how well the 3+ stacks up against the RS10.

I do know, the RS10 front is very touchy. As in, I've never felt a front tire move and shift like the RS10. I don't mean feedback, I mean slide. At one point the front end slid for a bit and all the weight was on my knee. Fortunately I recovered. I also briefly lost the front and had some slight head shake in the big sweeping righthand T5. That's a top of 5th low 6th knee down throttle open corner for me. To be fair to the tire, I had shifted my weight a bit mid-corner and the tire wasn't happy about that change. Neither Dunlop has moved around that much on me though. The upside was, I really had to pay attention to being smooth with the RS10. For example, it reinforced smoothly letting go of the brake lever when trail braking and smoothly dropping my head on corner exit. The Dunlops are more forgiving and will tolerate some abruptness the Bridgestones not so much.

The back tire seemed to have similar grip & feel to the Dunlop. I've felt all of the tires noodle around. I can also "steer with the rear" a bit on specific corner exits if the race line, RPM's, and camber allow.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Saving it with your knee, MM93, or Simoncelli style! Wow!

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Well Leon, I don't think it was much luck. Mostly yours skills.

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts

I had a pretty okay day at Hallett Motor Racing Circuit today. It was my first trackday with the 750 (FINALLY!!!!), and it was absolutely amazing. I had to wrap my head around actually having enough power to pass other riders at will instead of having to line up a pass three corners earlier with the SV650.

I gotta say, there's a whole lot more race bodywork in the novice groups these days than there was back in 2005 when I went to my first trackday.

2521 - 2540 of 2579 Posts