Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
2541 - 2560 of 2583 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I think more people are buying used trackbikes instead of taking their street bikes, even in novice group.

How did you like Hallett? I really enjoyed the track, absolutely despised their HART school though.

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
I think more people are buying used trackbikes instead of taking their street bikes, even in novice group.

How did you like Hallett? I really enjoyed the track, absolutely despised their HART school though.
It ain't Barber, but I like the track well enough. I first went there in 2006 (and a few times since then) but hadn't been there in several years before a couple of weeks ago when it rained and the 750 ate another fuel pump.

Admittedly, I like it more now that I live in Tulsa so it's just a quick drive across town rather than a 5 hour drive.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
It would be a pretty sweet local track. I liked the layout okay. I forget, do they run it both directions sometimes?

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
It would be a pretty sweet local track. I liked the layout okay. I forget, do they run it both directions sometimes?
Yeah. They run counter clockwise the vast majority of the time, but they run clockwise a couple of times per year.

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,888 Posts
I had a pretty okay day at Hallett Motor Racing Circuit today. It was my first trackday with the 750 (FINALLY!!!!), and it was absolutely amazing. I had to wrap my head around actually having enough power to pass other riders at will instead of having to line up a pass three corners earlier with the SV650.

I gotta say, there's a whole lot more race bodywork in the novice groups these days than there was back in 2005 when I went to my first trackday.
I want to get to Hallett sometime. Actually not that bad of a drive (relatively) for me and have family around Tulsa.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
OK gang, to prep for intermediate (in the wild case I get bumped during the day) I have to have something else in my radiator- like water wetter, etc. It says water is OK too?
I have a new set of blue hoses I was going to put on this winter anyways.

If I decide to go for it in the next week or so before my TD on 7/25/21, what do you recommend.
I had researched the pros and cons between a few products, but that had been weeks ago.

IIRC, Water wetter is good down to -20f also?

** Edit- I just read that Engine Ice is good to -26f?

***Edit, I just read that it's -7f?
Thats still pretty good!
  • ENGINE ICE IS A PROPYLENE-GLYCOL-BASED ANTIFREEZE AND COOLANT. IT PROVIDES BOIL-OVER PROTECTION TO 254F AND FREEZE-UP PROTECTION TO -7F
And I just read this off their Amazon add?

• Engine Ice hi-performance coolant is biodegradable, phosphate free and non-toxic, typically reduces operating race temperatures and effectively keeping boil over temperatures to 256° Fahrenheit or less and freeze-up protection to -26° Fahrenheit

I might get some!

·
Registered
573 Posts
You'll need to safety wire your oil filter and oil filler cap or at the very least a big dab of RTV on the mating edge so it can be seen.

My recommendation is that if u plan on doing more trackdays and u have the time, go ahead and wire it up... the tech guys appreciate it too...

As far as coolant, yeah I wouldn't leave water wetter in the radiator over the winter in the upper midwest... but emptying it for the winter is really not a big deal.

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
I'm not sure what Water Wetter you are looking at but the Redline product I and many others use does not provide any antifreeze protection. It is heat transfer, water pump lubricant and anti-corrosion package only. I've either kept the bike above freezing over the winter or drained the coolant after the season. It is cheap and readily available.

It does need to be changed at least each season anyway as it changes color from bright pink to an orangeish color after awhile so I'm guessing it is breaking down.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
You're not allowed to run any glycol based engine coolants Todd, so if Engine Ice has glycol in it, I don't think you can use it.

I am unaware of Water Wetter being good below freezing. I either move the bike inside or drain the radiator since it needs to be replaced annually anyway.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I'm going with engine ice. Amazon delivered.

My research finds it will need nearly 2.5L to do the system and the reservoir.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
You're not allowed to run any glycol based engine coolants Todd, so if Engine Ice has glycol in it, I don't think you can use it.

I am unaware of Water Wetter being good below freezing. I either move the bike inside or drain the radiator since it needs to be replaced annually anyway.
IIRC, it's states no ethylene glycol in I and A groups.

I'll double check before ordering for sure.

I probably won't get'er done coolant/hose change before the TD on 7/25/21.

2541 - 2560 of 2583 Posts