2581 - 2600 of 2737 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,285 Posts
Reactions: JCW

·
Registered
596 Posts
The more comfortable you are in this position, hard on the brakes while being in control, the better at the track you become...

Except always be on one side or the other of the bike...

I try to practice this every time out. Find an empty road. Accelerate to 100mph+, Butt off one side and brake hard and in control like I'm coming into a corner, except no corner.

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
The more comfortable you are in this position, hard on the brakes while being in control, the better at the track you become...

Except always be on one side or the other of the bike...

I try to practice this every time out. Find an empty road. Accelerate to 100mph+, Butt off one side and brake hard and in control like I'm coming into a corner, except no corner.
Yeah, it's a really old picture. I picked it because it has the same suit Todd was posting about, not because it's a picture of good body positioning.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Todd's TD #2 in the books.
Yesterday went as well as expected. What a beautiful venue! All sorts of areas around to pit and camp.
I did all seven sessions w/o a hitch or problem- honestly! Wow, is that track a bit intimidating or what? It's big- 4.04mi.
When the motorcycles run on it, they put the chicane in it. So maybe it's a bit longer anyways- still long/big.
I liked it.
Later in the day, hitting a Buck 60 on a few of the straights, then getting it shut down for a 90+ turn is a trip.
My bike ran like a champ! Of course, it's a Suzy! The tires I went back to- my S21's worked well too.
The new suit was a bit better than what I had, 3-4#'s lighter and not as hot inside! More comfortable, etc.
I managed to stay hydrated- just water and I was good. It was sunny and 90f! Having the pop up canopy sure helps between sessions.
If you ever get the chance to do Road America- I highly recommend it! (I didn't say that about Autobhan CC- it's OK.)
Having learned the track virtually ahead of time and the turn #'s really helped me be prepared for what's next.
Many blind corners and elevation changes!

I gotta go. I'll post later with my thoughts about this Novice/Intermediate thing.
Edit- Oh yeah, my coachs/control riders bike started leaking oil on the 2nd session! I began to notice my faceshield with something on it. It was oil from his bike! A Triumph! LOL. Towards the end of the session, we ended it a lap early and his motor was shot he says? So, then we had an array of fill in control riders. then 1 for 2 groups. I was in the 2nd group from the start. The control rider almost went down twice on that turn 5, b/c of the oil on his tire LOL. NO one was hurt, no crashes from it.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
The shiny bike thing. Yep, 2 TD's so far, shiny bike to bring home both times. But in my mind, that's 1 of my Achilles heel/problem too.
Yesterday, things were going well. I was in the faster 2 groups. There were some faster on the turns than me still though. ON the last session, I usually kick it back a few notches, b/c I don't want to crash on my last session LOL. But there was a control rider that I asked for a eval. On the last session of the day. In a nutshell, my entrance speed is a bit slow. This is largely b/c I don't want to wad up my bike. In reality, the chances of me lowsiding if conditions/tires are good- is slim to none. But in my subconscious I don't want to enter too fast- which in reality is actually barely even fast, if at all LOL. I was still faster than all but a few riders, in Novice still!

So, even on a large track like Rd. America- The first groups catch the last groups.
In N group, there were only 3 straights they allow passing on. 1 of those is really short. The 'back straight' is a bit bendy, so no passing there either- it's long though.
So, we catch the last group every session. STG- driving Miss Daisy!! 90 corner, my kickstand leans farther LOL. N/P, except this is the group we are catching, and cant pass until certain times.
OK fine- that's the way it is, It's not a problem for me.
The problem arises when my group is going slow behind a slower group waiting to pass.
Yesterday- we're in this long line going into turn 5 driving Miss Daisy. Turn 5 is at the end of this long straight, downhill, I was routinely doing a buck 50 when I had a clear track. So, I see this line in the braking area going into the turn. Fine, I get it nearly stopped and get in line.
This effing idiot whips past me and the slow moving line (driving miss Daisy) to my left and finally gets it nearly stopped and someone let him in.
When he passed me he was going (without exaggeration) at least 70. Deep inside, I was really pissed that some idiot nearly slammed into me going that fast- on a Race Track! Another time, I saw someone else do it to my right and go onto the rumble strips and barely made it on the outside of the corner.
I may be green/new to the track, but I don't ride like that.
So, at the riders meeting- the guy that went wizzing by on our left ( I had a gap on riders, and was the last/closest in line) he mentioned that he was sorry or something like that. Me and the rider in front of me (Matt), said something like yeah, what was up?
He said I came down the hill, looked up and tried to get stopped. He said his rear was raising up, so he let off and veered around us!
Thank God- he at least had the skills NOT to hit us! But he shouldn't have been in that predicament, on a track, in the first place. Am I perfect, no. Just over 4 years ago- I did my IronMan flight thru the woods, injuring no one else, etc.
It's not like it's a blind corner, he wasn't paying attention.

So, my point is:
There is TOO big a spectrum of rider skill in this N group. From lower I skills to driving Miss Daisy. I understand the N passing rules and actually agree with them- when you see the skills of some of the riders in this group.
In the I and A groups, you have passing rules- not so restrictive. You also have riders that are of different skills ( I watched plenty of recent videos of STT's different groups that people post ) that you would not have had a line of riders waiting to clear Turn 5 and you wouldn't have some over shooting like this, etc.

Now I've heard that I think MotoVid actually has 2 I groups, skill wise.
STT needs to N groups. Or bump some to the lower I group.

While I had a good time, I went fast- for the reasons I stated above:
That N system is BS
and I need a dedicated Track bike, or quit worrying about crashing mine so I can greatly increase my entry speed where it should be for me. In reality, I doubt I'd crash anyways, low side anyways. Over shooting the turn is a bit scary too. I made it a point to look inside and thru the turn only.

Yeah, I had my new back protector on too. But the speed of this guy that missed me by inches? I would have been in the hospital, or morgue for sure. THAT, was BS. I don't ride like that.
Rant still going in my head, but that enough to get my point across.

·
Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
2,780 Posts
You think that's bad, it's three times worse in Intermediate.

Survival instinct is a big factor. I always say I'd be faster if I knew I didn't have to pay to fix/replace the bike.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Oh yeah, I got a wheelie at a buck 40 too!

That long straight on the East side is an elevation nearly 100ft from the turn 14 at the bottom,
It's got a good hill, then crests and levels off gong into turn 1.
That crest is about 1/3 of the way along the straight. Then the S/F line, then turn 1.
Neat the top of the crest, there's the slightest lip in the surface sort of, more on the right.
If you were going 70, you wouldn't notice it.
But with the bike in the power band, I think I was in 4th, maybe 5th the front end was up about a foot, I looked down as I leaned even more forward and I saw 140. I do have a speedo corrector. It was probably 137 on a GPS.
Still- A Write home, post it on my favorite board moment.

I think I have to re-do my steering damper again too, cause on the straights coming out of a turn in 2nd in the power band, and in 3rd and a bit of 4th in a straight line when I was WOT, the front would 'dance' and it would wobble a bit. It's never happened before, and I don't think it was the tire either. My wheel balance felt good even at 140+ too. It never scared me though and never even approached a 'tank slapper'. It just never did it before.

Reactions: HydeWhyte

·
Registered
596 Posts
Later in the day, hitting a Buck 60 on a few of the straights, then getting it shut down for a 90+ turn is a trip.
No matter how u cut it, 160mph is flying!!!

As great as these cream of the crop tracks are, sometimes a nice basic easy to master flat track is the best to hone your skills and get your bump... ;)

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
LOL, I just signed up for Blackhawk Farms on 9/12/21!
So, my first season doing TD's I will have done the 3 tracks all w/in 2 hr's of me or less.

·
Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
2,780 Posts
Although it will be "open for motorcycles", I don't think any TD organization will deem it safe.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
TL/DR- I need to increase my entry speed! LOL

I've now been to a whooping 2 track now! When you get near the track and a session is going on the sensation is great. First you hear the noises/sounds of the bikes. then, as you get closer, like at Rd. A. you see the bikes flying down the straights- zipping by, riders tucked, etc.
For me it's been very invigorating!
I've know a few people at each venue from other things and that's nice.
And the people I meet at the track, like pitting near me, in my group, etc. has been great too.
Problem is, I'm kinda liking it. Even doing it on my shoestring budget it's hard it can get expensive though. I'm going to possibly either not ride street much for the next 6 weeks, or dismount my bridestones and re mount like I did the last 2 TD's. Then, the front pads? I might possibly get another set before my 3rd TD, I'll keep and eye on them.

At Rd. A, I'll admit I was being a little easy on the pads by slowing early and braking longer in an attempt from keeping wadding my bike up. In reality, my entry braking was way too much and way too soon- for an I and A standard. Oh don't worry, I don't think I'll have any desire to move to an A group, even if I get good enough LOL. I group is my goal for my third TD FS though.

I did notice running my LIterBike way higher in the R's than ever before last Sunday though. Thank God I'd just changed the oil again and it always sang a beautiful tune! But the few times I did glance at the tach, I was amazed and impressed how high up there I was running it. I never once bounced off the limiter though. Close a few times LOL.
Even on my spirited country road riding, I rarely go over 6 or 7K RPM LOL.

Reactions: HydeWhyte
2581 - 2600 of 2737 Posts