Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
2701 - 2720 of 2737 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Daytona all day every day.

I kinda thought about shooting you an offer for the GSXR NY, but I intend to race WERA in a year or three and there's no way that bike is superstock legal. Plus my bike is already superstock legal and built. As much as I'd love to give 'er a good home, she wouldn't get ridden.

However, that Kawi could be built into a bitchin superstock machine. Looks like it's already halfway there. Is it a 636 or a 600?

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Daytona all day every day.

I kinda thought about shooting you an offer for the GSXR NY, but I intend to race WERA in a year or three and there's no way that bike is superstock legal. Plus my bike is already superstock legal and built. As much as I'd love to give 'er a good home, she wouldn't get ridden.

However, that Kawi could be built into a bitchin superstock machine. Looks like it's already halfway there. Is it a 636 or a 600?
Thank you for the input fellas, I definitely was leaning toward the Daytona simply because I’ve only ridden it about 6 times.

That Kawi was about to become my 2nd track steed. It’s got Racetech 25mm Carts and an Elka Triple on it. Its a 600 last year they made it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
So it's pretty well setup and ready to rock & roll.

Have you ridden it on track? How's it feel in comparison to similarly modified GSXR?

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
So it's pretty well setup and ready to rock & roll.

Have you ridden it on track? How's it feel in comparison to similarly modified GSXR?
It certainly is…I have never ridden it at the track though. I was planning to buy a track
Body for it and start riding it there next season…dammit. It’s hard to say bc I never rode the Kawi nearly as hard as the GSXR.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It certainly is…I have never ridden it at the track though. I was planning to buy a track
Body for it and start riding it there next season…dammit. It’s hard to say bc I never rode the Kawi nearly as hard as the GSXR.

Ha, figures.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
I just re-watched the last MotoAmerica at Pittsburgh.
That track looks totally awesome. Anyone here ridden it?

NY- I would keep the Kawi. Never owned one, but not a Triumph kinda guy either.

Reactions: Newyork

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I just re-watched the last MotoAmerica at Pittsburgh.
That track looks totally awesome. Anyone here ridden it?

NY- I would keep the Kawi. Never owned one, but not a Triumph kinda guy either.
Well see how it plays out…planning to sell them all but try to hold onto the last one if I can.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Sorry for the bad off NY. My clavicle was so bent up that even after surgery, I'm like Quasimodo on that side. I keep wanting to go back to have them take the plate and screws out.

That triumph is mighty pretty. I test drove one for a day before settling on a gsxr. I think stock for stock, the triumph is more racy, less comfortable for daily use. But you might be able to get the biggest return for it $$$$.

Todd Sails, my unsolicited advice to you is to buy an sv650... ride the balls off it. You will get your bump.
Something about a slower bike makes you look smoother. You probably (incorrectly) look like you are parking it going into corners after blasting the straights on that rocketship. A smaller bike is just so much more relaxed. I've watched guys ride their rc390 right into advanced.

And don't forget it's your first 3 track days EVER... don't bike racers go through something like this? I don't know. Cat 1-5. Are these used in criterium races?

My bike is back together finally, but man i lost tons when I didn't ride much this year.. If you reconsider, I'll join you for an STT day at autobahn.

Oh yeah, and don't go for the epic long tracks or configurations. Ride one track, a simple one, like ACC north and master it. That way you can ride 85-90% and look smooth and still be plenty fast.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Todd, I've not ridden Pittsburg, but it does look awesome! It's a 10 hour drive for me though...

GLWS NY

I'll second JCW's SV650 advice. I spent several years riding an SV solely on track. It was an absolute blast and I learned so much about technique. For example much much easier to learn & understand deep trail braking when you're not coming down from liter bike speeds.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Sorry for the bad off NY. My clavicle was so bent up that even after surgery, I'm like Quasimodo on that side. I keep wanting to go back to have them take the plate and screws out.

That triumph is mighty pretty. I test drove one for a day before settling on a gsxr. I think stock for stock, the triumph is more racy, less comfortable for daily use. But you might be able to get the biggest return for it $$$$.

Todd Sails, my unsolicited advice to you is to buy an sv650... ride the balls off it. You will get your bump.
Something about a slower bike makes you look smoother. You probably (incorrectly) look like you are parking it going into corners after blasting the straights on that rocketship. A smaller bike is just so much more relaxed. I've watched guys ride their rc390 right into advanced.

And don't forget it's your first 3 track days EVER... don't bike racers go through something like this? I don't know. Cat 1-5. Are these used in criterium races?

My bike is back together finally, but man i lost tons when I didn't ride much this year.. If you reconsider, I'll join you for an STT day at autobahn.

Oh yeah, and don't go for the epic long tracks or configurations. Ride one track, a simple one, like ACC north and master it. That way you can ride 85-90% and look smooth and still be plenty fast.
Todd, I've not ridden Pittsburg, but it does look awesome! It's a 10 hour drive for me though...

GLWS NY

I'll second JCW's SV650 advice. I spent several years riding an SV solely on track. It was an absolute blast and I learned so much about technique. For example much much easier to learn & understand deep trail braking when you're not coming down from liter bike speeds.
Thanks BOTH of you!

It WILL BE my first 3 TD's ever. This weekend will be Day 3 and 4.
I'm not going to worry about it so much.
It was nice to go and watch some of that TD last Sunday.

I could maybe do an R6, of GSXR600, etc. I've never ridden an SV anything, but I'd be too bored I think.
I totally agree though, I would look smoother, keep learning more, etc. And yes, I fully understand that any decent rider on and SV could beat me around the track now, especially a tighter track like BHF's!

Deep trail braking- coming down from my 'Warp' speeds LOL.
Yes, it's a slight issue for me.
At Rd Amer.. I was maxing most of the long straights, but then being so fearful of over running the turn, etc., I'd back off WAY TOO early, so yes, I was sort of 'parking it' there for sure!

I've already thought about that and coming up with ways I'll look and be smoother w/o parking it so much comparatively.

There may be a 'Track Bike' in my future. And 'if' I do, I'd go for an inline 6ish maybe.

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
I'm quite familiar with buying an SV for a track bike for the purpose of learning to be faster overall. I bought my SV just for that. After one trackday I decided to "retire" the SV from track duty because I was just so frustrated with its lack of power. I freely admit that the bike is not the problem, but for me, the SV just wasn't fun enough.

Then in May when the 750 ate another fuel pump just days before my first trackday in 5 years, I prepped the SV and took it because even a bad trackday is better than no trackday. To my surprise, the SV wasn't nearly as frustrating in May. I even managed to have fun with it. Overall, I still believe that if I were to keep riding the SV I would progress much faster and likely more. But, at my age, just being out there to screw around and have a bit of a giggle, an inline 4 is more fun. Plus, the guy selling the 750 lived right around the corner from me and the bike was cheap.

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Leaving in 2 days for BHF. It's about 1hr 20 min away. I'm setting up day before, and staying 2 nifghts.
I was sleeping comfortably in my SUV with the 2nd and 3rd row seats down and a nice memory foam mattress in there! Now I'm in the truck- which WON'T have the shell over the bed due to transporting the Gixxer. My current tent is HUGE! I think I'm going to sleep accross the 2nd row in my 4 door truck- I should be fine.

My ramps came in yesterday! Already assembled, ready to go!

This was for mock up only, I'll have the truck more level when I use them.

I'm going to do a review with more picks in the products thread.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Ride hard and ride smart Todd!!

I signed up for Barber on October 16th. Looking forward to that :)
Thanks Mr. Hill! Now that I've done all of 2 TD's so far, riding smart is the key. I never feel in danger- especially in Novice. But I need to be smart as in not being scared I'm going too fast for the corner, and use LESS brakes overall. Even on the street, while the speeds are no where near the same, I'm trying to simulate not slowing so much and being smoother on entry. That's where I need the most work/change overall I think.

I hear Barber is a great track.... maybe someday I'll ride it too!

I appreciate all the great advice I have on this forum, it really has helped me from in preparing, what to expect, etc.
Thanks to all!

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Yee haw! I'm off tomorrow- so I can finish prepping loading up and make my way over to BHF's for the TD's Sat. and Sun. Instructions say gate opens at 6pm Friday. I'm checking out places to set up my pit/camp area in relation to the sun and compass, LOL, It's gonna be pretty hot, no rain in the forecast however!

Just checked the forecast again for Beloit this weekend. FML- 91F on Sat. 84F on Sun.
I can handle it, I'm from TX LOL

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Reactions: koth442

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Water and K supplements. This is where your swimming is going to pay dividends.
Water for sure. I'll be peeing after every session, then I know I'm hydrating!
It will be a walk in the park for me LOL o_O

2701 - 2720 of 2737 Posts