Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
2741 - 2760 of 2818 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
View attachment 296334

I found a pic online of me from last weekend. This is going into turn 2 Blackhawk farms. A short left hand kink before their mini carousel type turn three.
Using pics to gauge progress is a good move. Also GoPro footage helps as well. There’s a lot of little tricks that aid in the track world…you’re in good hands here Todd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
627 Posts
I will look for 1 or 2 corners or a sets of corners away from traffic or houses or pedestrians to practice specific things...
Just run those corners over and over. Not much fun but.

·
Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
2,862 Posts
^^^ nice first post.

I'd been on the track for more than a decade before I actually got some professional coaching. It unlocked a whole new world. The problem with finding a road you know or a couple corners you know on the street is that you 1) can't really take it at speed, and 2) you have really no way to gauge progress. Before I got the coaching, I got a lap timer. Consistency was my measuring stick, and frankly it's a good one. Once you get consistent, then you can start to focus on one or two things on the track to try and lower it. What really surprised me this season was at NCM. I had a session where I thought I was really pushing. Ran a 2:11. A couple sessions later, I had caught myself going back to old habits. Decided to use the rest of the day to focus on what I learned at the school. With far less effort, I turned a 2:09 and that entire session felt sloppy because it wasn't what I had become used to. It's amazing what using your head can do.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yes, so much of what people talk about re body position and braking technique and markers and body timing depends on reaching a corner at a particular time and speed that can only come with consistency...

However, I find I can practice certain corner entry techniques such as trail braking and downshifting perfectly fine... it requires the right place. You do that corner often enough, you get pretty good at it. Almost to the point where you can bang off a couple downshifts, brake and feel the rear get light and wiggly, then tip in, lean and drive out. But that takes dozens of passes so finding a place you can do that without getting unwanted attention is the challenge.

It's kinda like your favorite corner you take in your car on the way to work for the last 20 years...

Edit- sometimes u don't even need a corner. There's this street running in front of a forest preserve (that's a suburban chicago thing) that is basically a long 1/3 mile straight. I will accel hard coming onto the street. I've picked a random brake marker. Brake and downshift to practice rev matching and hard braking as I approach a service road. I gently let off the brake as I reach the service road. I dont even turn in, but I go through the motions during the most chaotic time right up to the turn.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I've ridden to work, but I didn't ride any twisties this year. I've basically gone track only. The fun to safety ratio is just SOOOOO much better.
'fun to safety' ratio.

That's good, can I use that? LOL

It was a BEAUTIFUL weeked last weekend. My bike is running fine, needs nothing to hop on and go.
But I spent most of the day Sunday wife my wife! Kids were at school.
We both realized that this is the most one to one time we've spent together since before we had kids!
This included getting some range time and teaching her to shoot my 9mm. She did REALLY well!

On the track, I've already come so far- yet I KNOW I have not even scraped the surface of being fast though.
My plan is to do at least 3 days next season too. My wife now understands after 3 tracks and 4 TD's that it's NOT too dangerous. She was scared I'd crash and get hurt, miss work, loose job, etc.
So far, so good, knock on wood.

Reactions: koth442

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
They say pictures tell the story. I'm glad I've seen pictures like this, one short instant out of the day, however, I see changes I can and should easily make. My lower elbow should be more bent, getting me off the bike more and my head over to the inside more.
I'm honestly not sure if this was a maximum lean angle for me that day. Assuming it is I can easily see some things I need to work on- some tweaks to my BP.
I'm actually about 1 butt cheek off now/in the picture. My bike is very thin here, and I'm not that big. I'm not sitting in the middle in this pic, but already over to the inside quite a bit. Still easily some room for improvement.
So glad I saw the pics!

* Edit, I'm also getting old, but I am actually looking up some, just under the edge of my helmet window/visor hole LOL. I think that pic is about a 45degree lean? ?

Reactions: Newyork and koth442

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
They say pictures tell the story. I'm glad I've seen pictures like this, one short instant out of the day, however, I see changes I can and should easily make. My lower elbow should be more bent, getting me off the bike more and my head over to the inside more.
I'm honestly not sure if this was a maximum lean angle for me that day. Assuming it is I can easily see some things I need to work on- some tweaks to my BP.
I'm actually about 1 butt cheek off now/in the picture. My bike is very thin here, and I'm not that big. I'm not sitting in the middle in this pic, but already over to the inside quite a bit. Still easily some room for improvement.
So glad I saw the pics!

* Edit, I'm also getting old, but I am actually looking up some, just under the edge of my helmet window/visor hole LOL. I think that pic is about a 45degree lean? ?

I always aimed to place my outside nipple on the inside of the tank for each corner…so coming into a right I would try to put my left nipple on the edge of the tank. This puts your elbow and head further down to the inside of the bike. Give it a shot.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I always aimed to place my outside nipple on the inside of the tank for each corner…so coming into a right I would try to put my left nipple on the edge of the tank. This puts your elbow and head further down to the inside of the bike. Give it a shot.

Great advice.

Reactions: Newyork

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
This looks like a pretty good visual of the nipple placement NY mentioned.
View attachment 296358
Yep he’s got it down that guy Gerloff…lol.
I went looking through my pics to see if I was achieving my goal and found this one. I’m pretty close to nipple down here.

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts
I went looking through my pics to see if I was achieving my goal and found this one. I’m pretty close to nipple down here.

Can't believe I posted a pic of a guy (even if he is from Texas) on a Yamaha!

I must have still been distracted by the term "nipple placement" :LOL:

·
Registered
3,096 Posts

That’s an awesome photo, NY!

Your explanation of BP using nipples makes so much sense and so simple. Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
So my TDs this weekend went well. New PB with a 1:18.23. Did some slicing and dicing, which was fun. Shredded a new rear tire because of cold tear. Saturday it rained until 7am, and the track wasn't dry until the 3rd session. Had a coach who is really fast (Sam Graves) come up and tell me how good I was riding and that he couldn't get past me in the corners, but powered past in the straights. Felt really good. Got home and while I was unstrapping the bike I noticed the right fork leg was leaking..... fuk.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
Ok all, Midwest Trackday at NCM Chili cook-off October 17th and 18th. We've secured garage A which is almost VIP treatment with the back door heading straight to track entry. If you want in, we've got 4 already comitted and can fit a couple more. If you want in, let me know soon.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Ok all, Midwest Trackday at NCM Chili cook-off October 17th and 18th. We've secured garage A which is almost VIP treatment with the back door heading straight to track entry. If you want in, we've got 4 already comitted and can fit a couple more. If you want in, let me know soon.
Fuck!! I thought it was Oct 2nd / 3rd. Shit, I already signed up for Barber on the 16th. I could've made that!! Oh well.

2741 - 2760 of 2818 Posts