Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
2761 - 2780 of 2818 Posts

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Ok all, Midwest Trackday at NCM Chili cook-off October 17th and 18th. We've secured garage A which is almost VIP treatment with the back door heading straight to track entry. If you want in, we've got 4 already comitted and can fit a couple more. If you want in, let me know soon.
Well, already told the wife unit that I was to do no more TD's this season. I've got to stick to that too.
Sounds like a great opportunity to see some of you again and meet others, all the while riding the track too!

Next season perhaps we could plan one that I could make it too.

Reactions: koth442

·
Registered
627 Posts
So my TDs this weekend went well. New PB with a 1:18.23. Did some slicing and dicing, which was fun. Shredded a new rear tire because of cold tear.
Sounds like some nice riding!
Was it you that wrote about a block in your track riding earlier? If it was, what is the biggest improvement you made from then to now?

Curious if u made any changes to the bike that might have contributed to the cold tear? Sprocket change? Rear height adjustment? Tire size/brand change? Pressure?

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
NCM is worth the trip even if it's just once.
Well, I told her if things keep going well for us like this next year, I want to do at least 3 more TD's too.
I didn't say they were going to be within 2 hrs of my home LOL

• Haha
Reactions: koth442

·
Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
2,862 Posts
Not sure if it was me you're remembering, but yeah I had a block. I highsided the first day out in 2018. Rebuilt/healed the rest of that season and went back to it in 2019. Really had problems getting my head right. Call it monkey brain, lizard brain, etc., but I just wasn't pushing. I made a decision my last day out in 2019. I was either going to a) crash again, b) get back on pace, c) sell the bike and hang it up. Lucky for me, I got back on pace. 2020 was a shit show because of Covid, but I worked with my suspension tuner to get it more dialed in. Had some tire availability issues and made a switch to Michelin. Other than them being too soft for my home track, the bike was working good. 2021, I went to CSS and completed levels 1&2. That had a huge impact on my riding. Well worth it. But overall, I think just making a mental commitment to either do this, or don't do this is what got me back in the game. Confidence is a real game changer.

No real changes to the bike. I was pretty dialed in at NCM. Putnam's surface is still pretty green and just eats softer tires. I think I found the setup near the end of the day on Sunday and the tire started to heal up a bit, but it was too late to save it. I keep a pretty detailed spreadsheet and I think I'm at the point where I need to make it the baseline and then have separate tabs for different tracks. For example, NCM was 28psi rear and 35psi front. Putnam was 30 rear and 1/4 turn more rebound. I know what you're thinking, lower pressure = more heat. What's crazy is the Michelin is opposite. If you want more heat, you raise the pressure.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
I’m doing my first TD in the south Nov 20. Carolina Motorsports Park. Excited and nervous at the same time. Anyone else going?
That’s awesome congrats. I used to describe the way I felt about track days in general that way…nervous and excited at the same time. I already miss it…,.dammit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I’m doing my first TD in the south Nov 20. Carolina Motorsports Park. Excited and nervous at the same time. Anyone else going?
I've been eyeballing that date, but had kinda decided against it. Way to make me reconsider haha. I haven't been on the fresh pavement yet!

I might be traveling for work Nov 15 - 18, driving to STL and back to Knoxville that week, about 600 miles each way. Doing another 250 miles one way to CMP doesn't sound too much fun in that short of time span. But we'll see, I might suck it up.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If I was starting again for the first time, I would keep telling myself I'm going to ride 80-85%. I'm going to let off when I feel I need to. And corner at the speed I feel comfortable at. The main things I'm going to learn is how to effectively and accurately turn the motorcycle, hit my apexes and be smooth and ready on the inputs. That means using my vision.and my brain to be one or two steps ahead. Don't react on a trackday.
As the day goes on, your comfort envelope increases and you go faster.
It is the rare bird that can go full send immediately and throw it into the first corners you see brake later than you feel comfortable and not ride scared all day!

Oh wait.. you said first in the south... You've done this before then. nevermind ;)

·
Administrator
5,554 Posts
If I was starting again for the first time, I would keep telling myself I'm going to ride 80-85%. I'm going to let off when I feel I need to. And corner at the speed I feel comfortable at. The main things I'm going to learn is how to effectively and accurately turn the motorcycle, hit my apexes and be smooth and ready on the inputs. That means using my vision.and my brain to be one or two steps ahead. Don't react on a trackday.
As the day goes on, your comfort envelope increases and you go faster.
It is the rare bird that can go full send immediately and throw it into the first corners you see brake later than you feel comfortable and not ride scared all day!

Oh wait.. you said first in the south... You've done this before then. nevermind ;)
Wheel Tire Helmet Automotive tire Sports uniform
Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
10,385 Posts
I'm looking at CMP with TDW the 11/12, 13 or 14th right now. I have a number of friend going.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I got my wheels with Q4's put back on yesterday. I'm not sure what to do with these RS10's. They've got one TD on them, I need to get them off the wheels and try to sell them as take-offs I guess. Kind of the wrong season to sell stuff though. Could always hang onto them until Spring... We'll see.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
I got my wheels with Q4's put back on yesterday. I'm not sure what to do with these RS10's. They've got one TD on them, I need to get them off the wheels and try to sell them as take-offs I guess. Kind of the wrong season to sell stuff though. Could always hang onto them until Spring... We'll see.
The RS10s sub par? I’ve always wanted to try a set of Stones. The 44 Teeth guys got me curious about them.

I got clearance from the wife this morning to rebuild and keep my 750: life is good!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The RS10s sub par? I’ve always wanted to try a set of Stones. The 44 Teeth guys got me curious about them.
The front left a lot to be desired, I could feel it moving / sliding in places and at speeds the Q4 is rock solid. It did however, highlight that I was letting off the front brake level a touch aggressively when trail braking deep. I think the RS11's are an improvement, but I haven't tried them.

I got clearance from the wife this morning to rebuild and keep my 750: life is good!
Nice!!

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
The front left a lot to be desired, I could feel it moving / sliding in places and at speeds the Q4 is rock solid. It did however, highlight that I was letting off the front brake level a touch aggressively when trail braking deep. I think the RS11's are an improvement, but I haven't tried them.

Nice!!
If you haven’t tried Metzeler Track Day slicks yet, you should. I ran Q3s, SuperCorsa SPs and TDs and nothing felt as good as the Metzelers did and they last forever too. My boy changed his SC1 rear twice before I even had to flip my rear.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
If you haven’t tried Metzeler Track Day slicks yet, you should. I ran Q3s, SuperCorsa SPs and TDs and nothing felt as good as the Metzelers did and they last forever too. My boy changed his SC1 rear twice before I even had to flip my rear.
Where do you buy the Metzelers? Are they like every other race tire and you need a specific tire vendor to carry them?

I think I'm going to try the Michelin slicks too.

2761 - 2780 of 2818 Posts