Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
2801 - 2820 of 2861 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Whelp, I too brought home some carnage. No where near as exciting as NewYork's. I'm 100% okay, no more sore than I would be after any other TD. I just tucked the front in a simple lowside. Gently skidded to a stop.

Unfortunately for the bike, the frame slider grabbed and flipped the bike. Bent my full Yosh system a full 180 degrees, so that's completely toast. Need a new fairing stay, master cylinder, body work, clip-ons... Maybe a few other odds and ends.
Glad to hear you’re ok. From your description it doesn’t sound too bad to fix the bike up.

·
Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
2,897 Posts
Whelp, I too brought home some carnage. No where near as exciting as NewYork's. I'm 100% okay, no more sore than I would be after any other TD. I just tucked the front in a simple lowside. Gently skidded to a stop.

Unfortunately for the bike, the frame slider grabbed and flipped the bike. Bent my full Yosh system a full 180 degrees, so that's completely toast. Need a new fairing stay, master cylinder, body work, clip-ons... Maybe a few other odds and ends.
Sorry to year about the off, Leon.
Glad to hear you’re ok man. We’ll both be rebuilding soon.
Wait, I thought you were hanging it up for good?!?

My weekend went rather well. Sorting out the new fork, but my mid corner chatter is gone. A little instability when trail off. I think some of that is me though. Even with a cool track I ran a new PB @ 2:08.12. Still having a hard time getting into T10 smoothly. T1B, T2, and T8 collected a lot of people over the weekend. Completely clean weekend for me though, and a great end to a great season. The chili cookoff raised about $8300 for new air fence.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Wait, I thought you were hanging it up for good?!?
I had a lot of time to ponder not riding again and came a positive resolution to that…NO WAY is that Possible!

I’m going to keep one bike and ride when I feel the need. Planning to rebuild the gsxr into a ridiculous street bike. The track is off the table because wife and I are planning to buy an RV and tour the country. That will take up a lot of my time and $ for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
^^^ All I'm hearing is that the RV is going to have a hitch rack for a track bike so you can visit more tracks around the country and ride year round.
Lol I feel that you may know me already Chuck…I am most definitely plotting for the future. My wife never tells me what to do…she simply suggests what she likes and doesn’t. I’m planning to buy more like a travel trailer (maybe that isn’t an RV) that I can tow. I am going to tow it with my track van (06 e250) and that is totally equipped to carry my bike wherever we may go. I just need to play my cards right. I’m going to keep one suit/one track fairing kit and some other goodies just in case.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I lowsided a couple times at fairly deep lean... the most gentle slides you can imagine even at 60-70mph.
Then I've also "lowsided" in the wet where the bike fell from less lean angle/higher up... my hip definitely felt it for a week or more.

Those frame sliders.... damned if u don't, dammed if u do
Glad ur ok!

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Sorry to hear about your 'off bike excusrion' Mr. Hill.
Glad you're well. Bike is fixable, etc.

Yeah about the MotoGP, I guess Those have been off the schedule for a long time.
Siri says Thailand, Philips Is. Australia, and one other. There are 3 more to go this year, the next is Oct. 24, in Itlay?

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I would love to tour the country and hit allllll the racetracks. Retirement plan??

I've had the good fortune of living in 3 distinct regions of the country, sampling many racetracks in all. But there's still many more to investigate!
It’s just something we’ve been talking about and my wife and I refuse to deny ourselves anything that is within reach….no kids just a dog so we have some disposable income thank God. We both work in education so our schedule is perfect for this type of thing. In short…Life is good and only going to get better! Wooo wooooo!! I am stoked!

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
So the SV racing parts lap timer just up and quit working Saturday. Got nothing out of it on Sunday. I know a lot of people like the Solo, but what does everyone recommend?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Solo DL models can datalog some too.
I've been toying with the idea of adding a front suspension pot. for a little more info on how I use the brakes and cornering.
Someone in the UK sells an interface box that plugs in the DL and can monitor generic digital (2) and analog (2) channels. That takes some wiring work on your own though.
But then it just gets me thinking about a complete dstslogging system... and then dash/datalogger and I feel myself going down the rabbit hole...

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
The DL is pricey, and support starts at 2006. Not gonna work on my 05. I don't need all that anyway. $400 for the base model is enough.

I went on eBay looking for a used one and there's an "authorized dealer" selling it for $1400. Just a grand overpriced....

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
But then it just gets me thinking about a complete dstslogging system... and then dash/datalogger and I feel myself going down the rabbit hole...
Sounds like a project for an ESP32 or Arduino. As most PCB manufacturers have a minimum order of 5 pieces, you’ll have some spare for friends

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Easier just to buy. The DL has a data bus and plugs straight into the bike. Just add a couple sensors for the suspension and you're done. Time is worth something.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Easier just to buy. The DL has a data bus and plugs straight into the bike. Just add a couple sensors for the suspension and you're done. Time is worth something.
I agree. Everyone seems to think I want to spend my personal time fixing their PCs and that sucks. The last thing I want to see after work is another computer. They also don’t understand that I’m a software engineer, not a part swapper/hardware tech.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I think once you plug in the ecu data link cable, you’ve used up all the connectors for data logging. So i don’t THINK you can add a sensor to the DL. you’d have to use the interface box to wire your other parameters you want to monitor, rpm/speed/brake pressure.
i Do think you can add their smarty cam though but man that gets pricey fast.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Alright fellas. I think I'm ready to take the leap and give the track a shot. I've been riding for just short of a decade and am confident when taking "spirited" rides, but I would like to be able to not have to worry about a LEO or car pulling out of its driveway around the corner. I want to try and get my equipment together over the winter season and hit it next year.

With that said, I have a few questions. I'm not looking for top of the line everything, especially just getting into it, but I want to feel comfortable and confident in my equipment when I do go. I've looked up that specific tracks requirements so Ill go based on that.

1. Where can i find a reasonably priced (and quality) 1 piece track suit? I've debated buying used but it really gives me that "wearing another mans underwear" feeling. And brands that i should seek out and/or avoid. I've checked the big name sites, but looking to see if there are any lesser known but better ones with maybe winter sales, last years models ect. Last note, is the best way to go about it to go get fitting in person at a store then buy online? I know most people say you cant go wrong with Dainese or Alpinestar...

2. I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Power 2CT front and rear. Theyre obviously not going to be as reliable as slicks but will they be decent enough for track riding or should i expect feathering by the end of the day? I did a canyon run with the stock tires that come on the newer model GSXRs (bridgestone battleaxe i think?) and both edges were torn up by the time the ride was done. Tires had less than 600 miles on them. Same pace ride, same canyon and the 2CTs looked good with maybe very minor feathering on the far edges.

3. I initially debated riding to the track but I've heard this can be pretty rough since youre likely to be worn out by the time youre leaving and wouldnt want to ride home that tired. Is it pretty much always recommended to trailer the bike? Looks to be about an hour one way. Also, best budget set-up for overnight staying? Old van with a bed in the back?

Those are really the main ones that have been on my mind. A little side question, has anyone had a TD at High Plains Raceway? Most their open lap days for MCs are Monday, which might be nice since it'll probably be less crowded. Anyway, thanks for the help! I'm sure ill have some more pop-up, i just figured it might be better to talk to actual track guys rather than make my own thread. I found a few threads with all similar questions but most were from years ago and some of the links for gear didn't even work anymore.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Welcome to the addiction, you're going to LOVE trackdays. To briefly answer your questions...

1. I'd recommend hitting a Cycle Gear if you have one and trying on various sizes. Getting the correct size is the challenging part. I've only ever bought used leathers and had good luck, but to each their own. If I was shopping new, I"d hit Sportbiketrackgear.com they stock quality stuff.

2. Any super sport street tire will do just fine. I run Q4's and (until just recently) have great traction all over at a mid-pack advanced pace. I think my oops was my fault, not the tires. You really don't need slicks until you hit that advanced group pace.

3. I rode to the track and home when I was 18, accepting the risk that if I wadded up my bike I'd be hitch hiking home. When I was 19 I started trucking my bike to the track. At 29, I couldn't imagine riding my bike to the track, riding, and then riding home. My back just pinged thinking about it!

I've not been there, but the trackday paddock is one of the most welcoming, encouraging, and supportive groups you'll ever encounter. Enjoy!

2801 - 2820 of 2861 Posts