Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
2821 - 2840 of 2865 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
You’re going to enjoy the track like you won’t believe.

I’d go to a number of stores and try on different brands of suits as well as sizes. Each manufacturer’s sizing is different.

I’d highly recommend getting an undersuit/race suit whatever it’s called. It will keep you cooler and make getting the leathers on and off so much easier.

Definitely trailer the bike to the track. That way you can take cans of fuel, tools, food drinks and whatnot with you. The idea of riding at street legal speeds in traffic with idiots on phones won’t be so appealing after a day on the track.

·
Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
2,902 Posts
I think once you plug in the ecu data link cable, you’ve used up all the connectors for data logging. So i don’t THINK you can add a sensor to the DL. you’d have to use the interface box to wire your other parameters you want to monitor, rpm/speed/brake pressure.
i Do think you can add their smarty cam though but man that gets pricey fast.
With the expansion module, it's all plug n play.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I dont think you can use AIM's expansion module on the solo dl. Only on their Evo 4 or 5 dataloggers and integrated dash/dataloggers.

. Solo2 cannot accept any sensors or expansions. Solo2DL can only accept an LCU-One Lambda controller or SmartyCam.

It's all very confusing...

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Alright fellas. I think I'm ready to take the leap and give the track a shot. I've been riding for just short of a decade and am confident when taking "spirited" rides, but I would like to be able to not have to worry about a LEO or car pulling out of its driveway around the corner. I want to try and get my equipment together over the winter season and hit it next year.

With that said, I have a few questions. I'm not looking for top of the line everything, especially just getting into it, but I want to feel comfortable and confident in my equipment when I do go. I've looked up that specific tracks requirements so Ill go based on that.

Well said, now that I've done my first 4 TD's in 2021, I'm a bit more mellow on the twisties at times.

1. Where can i find a reasonably priced (and quality) 1 piece track suit? I've debated buying used but it really gives me that "wearing another mans underwear" feeling. And brands that i should seek out and/or avoid. I've checked the big name sites, but looking to see if there are any lesser known but better ones with maybe winter sales, last years models ect. Last note, is the best way to go about it to go get fitting in person at a store then buy online? I know most people say you cant go wrong with Dainese or Alpinestar...

I bought a APS 2 piece on sale, and now also have a 1 piece I got used. It was like new- with a seperate back protector. I don't go commando in any of my suits, and don't think he did either in the used one.

2. I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Power 2CT front and rear. Theyre obviously not going to be as reliable as slicks but will they be decent enough for track riding or should i expect feathering by the end of the day? I did a canyon run with the stock tires that come on the newer model GSXRs (bridgestone battleaxe i think?) and both edges were torn up by the time the ride was done. Tires had less than 600 miles on them. Same pace ride, same canyon and the 2CTs looked good with maybe very minor feathering on the far edges.

Any tire sport bike tire that will pass tech, should last that day easy.
I ran my Battlax S21's all 4 TD's, and some street/twisties too. There are no strips left, and they're still good for at least 1-2 more TD's! I'm in Intermediate now too.

3. I initially debated riding to the track but I've heard this can be pretty rough since youre likely to be worn out by the time youre leaving and wouldnt want to ride home that tired. Is it pretty much always recommended to trailer the bike? Looks to be about an hour one way. Also, best budget set-up for overnight staying? Old van with a bed in the back?

A MC Uhaul is $15.95/day easy to haul. I don't get their extra insurance, that's another $15/day.

Those are really the main ones that have been on my mind. A little side question, has anyone had a TD at High Plains Raceway? Most their open lap days for MCs are Monday, which might be nice since it'll probably be less crowded. Anyway, thanks for the help! I'm sure ill have some more pop-up, i just figured it might be better to talk to actual track guys rather than make my own thread. I found a few threads with all similar questions but most were from years ago and some of the links for gear didn't even work anymore.
Open the quoted part.

And what the more experienced people here said too. Have fun

Reactions: JCW

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the info and input guys! Maybe I'll reconsider a used suit and just do what Ozsyd said and get an undersuit with it. It's been tough to even find used in my size, I'm a bit larger at 6'2'' 220lbs.

I creeped on some older parts of the thread and hate to see such a large community in the Carolinas! That's where i learned to ride and wish I'd gotten into it there before moving across the country. Its a little intimidating to go in blindly but i suppose theres only one way to become accustomed to TDs. Good thinking Todd for the u-haul idea. Definitely cheaper than trying to get my own trailer.

Thanks again for the help. Ill definitely look into some of the brands and sites mentioned.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Thanks for the info and input guys! Maybe I'll reconsider a used suit and just do what Ozsyd said and get an undersuit with it. It's been tough to even find used in my size, I'm a bit larger at 6'2'' 220lbs.

I creeped on some older parts of the thread and hate to see such a large community in the Carolinas! That's where i learned to ride and wish I'd gotten into it there before moving across the country. Its a little intimidating to go in blindly but i suppose theres only one way to become accustomed to TDs. Good thinking Todd for the u-haul idea. Definitely cheaper than trying to get my own trailer.

Thanks again for the help. Ill definitely look into some of the brands and sites mentioned.
I'm 6'1" and am down to 260 (I was up to 290 back in January, but my leathers didn't fit anymore...) and I wear a size 48/58 (US/Euro sizing) in Alpinestars and AGV suits. My "under armor" is just cheap long sleeved spandex shirts from Walmart and some bicycle pants (not shorts). I really like the two piece under armor because it's so much easier to pee when you don't have to completely strip down. One piece leathers are bad enough, but at least the zipper goes down far enough to pee semi-easily...

I'm running Michelin Power GP tires on my 06 750 that is track-only. I've got 3 days of wobbling slowly around and the tires have lots of life left. But, I've run Pilot Powers well into the intermediate group back when I was doing trackdays regularly 15 years ago, so as long as your current tires are bald or squared off they'll probably be fine.

The Uhaul motorcycle trailer is perfectly fine for trackday duty as well. I've used their trailers many times in the past. The main reason I am buying my own is so I can install a Pitbull Trailer Restraint and not have to bother with tie downs or ratchet straps on the bike ever again.

Ever since I first got into trackdays back in 2005, I slowed way down on the streets. I was never particularly stupid about it, but even during my long hiatus from the track I still rode pretty responsibly on the street. Now that I have a track-only bike, I'm probably going to get a cruiser for street riding because going stupid fast on the street really doesn't have much appeal for me anymore. But, back when I could only have one, I figured the sport bike was better on the street than a cruiser is on the track.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yes, it's TDW hosting the event. That weather keeps creeping its way back unfortunately. When I signed up a few days ago, Saturday was forecasted much better than it is now... Grumble grumble grumble. Might be putting the rains on...

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I did watch MotoGP yesterday.

Spoiler alert! Don't read on if you're going to watch!

MM wins again!

Bagnaia was riding wonderfully, then crashed out. So MM takes it.

Fabio went from 15th to 5th, to 3rd, then took 4th. And still took this years title when the Bagman crashed.

Reactions: koth442

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I was rooting for Fabio this year. Yamaha about to sweep just about every major series!
While he still acted like a little kid, I don't blame him LOL. He did ride with a bit more maturity this year.
What is it? 2 races left?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Alright, back from NCM. It was wet and drizzly basically all day. I was watching radar, and it looked like it was going to clear up around 9AM, just in time for the track to go hot. NOPE! Pop up rain cloud and it kept raining. That's basically what happened all day, pop-up rain clouds and drizzle. Track never dried out, always wet.

Since the it kept looking like it was going to stop and dry up, I kept running my Q4's when I should have switched to rain tires first thing. After lunch I gave in and switched to rains, and what a world of difference!! Well worth the $40 to have them put on and loss of sessions swapping wheels.

I really realized that while I've improved my brake let-off, as in, letting go of the brake lever after trail braking, I need to be smoother. I get "excited" when I start picking up the pace and my bad habits creep back in. I'm now 90% certain that's why I crashed at Barber. I was carrying more speed and dumped that brake lever instead of letting it out smooth. Since I was leaned over, it ejected my front tire. Something to work on!

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Alright, back from NCM. It was wet and drizzly basically all day. I was watching radar, and it looked like it was going to clear up around 9AM, just in time for the track to go hot. NOPE! Pop up rain cloud and it kept raining. That's basically what happened all day, pop-up rain clouds and drizzle. Track never dried out, always wet.

Since the it kept looking like it was going to stop and dry up, I kept running my Q4's when I should have switched to rain tires first thing. After lunch I gave in and switched to rains, and what a world of difference!! Well worth the $40 to have them put on and loss of sessions swapping wheels.

I really realized that while I've improved my brake let-off, as in, letting go of the brake lever after trail braking, I need to be smoother. I get "excited" when I start picking up the pace and my bad habits creep back in. I'm now 90% certain that's why I crashed at Barber. I was carrying more speed and dumped that brake lever instead of letting it out smooth. Since I was leaned over, it ejected my front tire. Something to work on!
Nice . Brushing up on my trail braking Definitely made a world of difference in my riding. You are bout it too riding in the rain… congrats on that I never had the balls/desire to ride a wet track. I probably should have it would have been a learning experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2821 - 2840 of 2865 Posts