Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
3361 - 3380 of 3387 Posts

· Registered
5,882 Posts
I pulled the trigger, and bought 9 total days, for a nearly $2K.
Rd America is $95/day more than BlackHawk farms. I've done Rd America a few times already, and would consider cancelling that on and adding something else.
So far- 3 of the sites are under 2hrs away. And Putnam- that I/we did last year is 4.5hrs away. I liked that track quite a bit and glad I'm going there again.
I'm considering Michigan also. Gingerman and Grattan. I've heard good things about them also? But they are 3.5 and 5 hrs away anyways. I still may do a Gingerman day also. I haven't signed up yet.

I'm looking forward to this season. Keeping my head on and off track, and possibly staying in Intermediate group the entire season. If the Advanced bump is necessary, that will take care of itself so I'm not worried either way.

Reactions: Newyork and koth442

· Premium Member
3,710 Posts
I can't even begin to plan out my '23 season. I don't know what the new mortgage will be nor much about the TX trackday scene. I guess that's a good question for you TX folks if any of y'all care to chime in.

@Chango, where are you? I know you've talked about Hallett a bit.
I live in Tulsa these days, so Hallett is less than an hour away for me. I try to make it there once per month in Spring and Fall. Summer is less likely unless the temp looks halfway reasonable. I would rather ride in the 50s and 60s than upper 90s.

I might spring for another weekend at Barber this year (because Barber!), it just depends on what happens with work schedules/promotions because it's 12 hours each way, and even with the little trailer that's an awful lot of gas.

Otherwise, we're planning a trip out West (CO, UT, WY, MT) this year for kids' birthdays, so I might be able to accidentally take the bike along and pickup a day at Miller if it fits the schedules.

· Registered
2,576 Posts
I live in Tulsa these days, so Hallett is less than an hour away for me. I try to make it there once per month in Spring and Fall. Summer is less likely unless the temp looks halfway reasonable. I would rather ride in the 50s and 60s than upper 90s.
Hallett is still doing the "self host" trackday sort of thing right? They still force everyone through their HART school? I hope I don't have to redo that so I can ride there...

What other TD orgs are in the area? ECR still going with the open format with Sport Rider Coaching? What about trackday orgs that run Cresson / Houston?

· Premium Member
3,710 Posts
Hallett is still doing the "self host" trackday sort of thing right? They still force everyone through their HART school? I hope I don't have to redo that so I can ride there...

What other TD orgs are in the area? ECR still going with the open format with Sport Rider Coaching? What about trackday orgs that run Cresson / Houston?
Yes, Hallett is still doing their own thing. As far as I know you only have to go through HART once, even if you haven't been there in years. When I signed up in May 2021 they didn't force me back into HART/Novice even though I hadnt been there in years. They saw that I had been there before and asked which group I wanted to ride in.

The only other TD org I know of is Ridesmart.info which goes to MSR Houston, MSR Cresson, and I think they do a day or two at COTA, but COTA was super expensive with super restrictive passing rules the last time I checked (admittedly it's been several years).

I don't know much about Eagles Canyon. I knew a few guys who went there about 10 years ago, but I never made it myself and I've sort of lost touch with them since then.

· Registered
2,576 Posts
Yes, Hallett is still doing their own thing. As far as I know you only have to go through HART once, even if you haven't been there in years. When I signed up in May 2021 they didn't force me back into HART/Novice even though I hadnt been there in years. They saw that I had been there before and asked which group I wanted to ride in.

The only other TD org I know of is Ridesmart.info which goes to MSR Houston, MSR Cresson, and I think they do a day or two at COTA, but COTA was super expensive with super restrictive passing rules the last time I checked (admittedly it's been several years).

I don't know much about Eagles Canyon. I knew a few guys who went there about 10 years ago, but I never made it myself and I've sort of lost touch with them since then.
I'll be hopeful I don't have to redo the HART school then.

Thanks for the tip on Ridesmart

I rode ECR in 2018 before the repave and it was really fun. It's been paved since then. I've heard on Reddit people say it's the best track in TX currently.

· Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
3,759 Posts
I haven't even looked at the calendar yet. Hell, my trackbike hasn't even had the end of season oil change.

Just saw of the book of face that Ken Block died..... no details though.

· Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
I pulled the trigger, and bought 9 total days, for a nearly $2K.
If the Advanced bump is necessary, that will take care of itself so I'm not worried either way.
Congratulations!! Sounds like you’re going to have an amazing Spring/Summer Todd!
I’m going to reiterate a point that my buddy Chris made over and over bc I waited two seasons to listen and wish I didn’t. Moving to advanced is going to up your game immensely, so if your close to needing the bump (feels like people are in your way in intermediate/you’re passing regularly etc) you should try to make it happen. Him and I started riding track at the same time and he was just more hungry to move up than I was. He kept telling me to make it happen, but I was reluctant bc I wasn’t confident enough. Once I got bumped I was so mad that I waited bc I dropped 4 seconds my first day in advanced. Just wanted to share in case you are thinking like I was.

· Registered
5,882 Posts
Congratulations!! Sounds like you’re going to have an amazing Spring/Summer Todd!
I’m going to reiterate a point that my buddy Chris made over and over bc I waited two seasons to listen and wish I didn’t. Moving to advanced is going to up your game immensely, so if your close to needing the bump (feels like people are in your way in intermediate/you’re passing regularly etc) you should try to make it happen. Him and I started riding track at the same time and he was just more hungry to move up than I was. He kept telling me to make it happen, but I was reluctant bc I wasn’t confident enough. Once I got bumped I was so mad that I waited bc I dropped 4 seconds my first day in advanced. Just wanted to share in case you are thinking like I was.
Thank you NY.
When I feel comfortable, It'll happen For sure.

Reactions: Newyork

· Premium Member
3,759 Posts
I've put off-season maintenance off for far too long. It was 48F yesterday, so I opened up the garage and got busy. Warmed it up, and drained the oil. Removed spark plugs, removed valve cover, removed radiator, removed exhaust, and the fork. Still to go is the rear suspension, but I ran out of time.

What I found:
1) The front fender has 2 bolts in front, and one in the rear. The entire section that was the rear is gone. Just gone. Bolt and all. Have no clue when it disappeared. Have an Armour Bodies on order.
2) One of the reed valves was broken and just floating around in there. Really not sure how I want to deal with this. I can just replace them, but the rest of the system is blocked. If I do need a valve adjustment, I'm tempted to just fill the passages with JB weld. Not sure if it can handle that temp though. Most block off plates I've seen are for the cover mounted valves, and this generation didn't have that.
3) The spark plugs all look a little lean. What's interesting is that they also look like they've had a grove burned out. I'll add a pic if I can get one. The good news, they're all identical.
4) The valve cover gasket has been re-used a few times, so it's time for a new one.

Not bad for a track bike that's old enough to vote...

· Premium Member
3,759 Posts
So, no block off plates for the 600. It used a different valve cover design than the 750 and 1000. So Permatex ultra red is on order. Going to clean out and pack the passages with high-temp gasket maker. Reed valves go in the trash, but I'll still have to use the bodies to make the gaskets fit. Going to work on cleaning up the valve cover gasket so I can re-use it too. Save a bit of funds there. Valve clearances all tightened up since I last checked, but all are still in spec. Should be able to get the engine buttoned back up this weekend and the rear suspension off.

Back to the wheel situation. After I got the quote for the straightening the rear wheel, I decided to not have it repaired. That was around Dec 15th. I texted the guy and said let me know how much I owe to get them shipped back. He acknowledged, and then went dark. I texted again earlier this week asking if he's open on the 16th, because I have the day off and could just road trip to pick them up. No response. I'm guessing he's thrown my wheels away.....

· Registered
5,882 Posts
Chuck, you may have seen my dyno data on putting the pair valves to the intake breather/vent hose? Creates a slight vacuum, allows more JHP accross the range.
I know some people look at Brocks video on this and think it's only at low Rpms, etc.
My data show over the whole range and peak HP gains, just from putting the breather tuber to the pair valve.
Todd

· Registered
5,882 Posts
I liked this 14min. TT themed video,
I thought you might like it too.

Reactions: koth442

· Registered
5,882 Posts
I seem to look at/read a lot of the FB group TDJU lately.
It's great, funny, hilarious, and in a round about way a good place to get knowledge too.

3361 - 3380 of 3387 Posts