Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 2369 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Damn! Got a call from Revzilla this morning. Psych! We really don't have a Q3 in stock...

Oh well, nothing wrong with the Q2. I hit up Chaparral for a Q2 and K&N filter. $180 for both, free shipping to Utah by Friday : )

Still super bummed about not getting to try the Q3. STG had some on the way in my size, but priority shipping from MI to UT was $90 bucks or so. I love STG. Maybe I should quit waiting until the last minute to buy parts...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Damn! Got a call from Revzilla this morning. Psych! We really don't have a Q3 in stock...

Oh well, nothing wrong with the Q2. I hit up Chaparral for a Q2 and K&N filter. $180 for both, free shipping to Utah by Friday : )

Still super bummed about not getting to try the Q3. STG had some on the way in my size, but priority shipping from MI to UT was $90 bucks or so. I love STG. Maybe I should quit waiting until the last minute to buy parts...
Lol I'm the same way. Last possible minute! What's the difference between a Q3 an the GPA? They're both Dunlop right? Im not familiar with the Q3 at all. Is it like a 2CT and a Power Pure? Then the GPA is like the Power One? Sorry I normally run Michilins, but when I bought my GSXR it had a set of Q2s on there, and I loved em. Great tires. I thought the next step was the GPA.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
CCS/ASRA Expert #77
10,715 Posts
Got back into my workout routine. Down 5lbs last week trading fat for muscle. Now to shed a few more before this weekend @ VIR :D

·
Live Fast Die FUN
14,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Congrats T. I sadly am not starting my season this weekend like planned. Once again some terrible financial misfortunes have hit my wife and I. She got my TPM FT membership for my bday and its not looking good for using it this year.

I couldnt be more depressed about it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Lol I'm the same way. Last possible minute! What's the difference between a Q3 an the GPA? They're both Dunlop right? Im not familiar with the Q3 at all. Is it like a 2CT and a Power Pure? Then the GPA is like the Power One? Sorry I normally run Michilins, but when I bought my GSXR it had a set of Q2s on there, and I loved em. Great tires. I thought the next step was the GPA.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
I think the GPA is more of a "track day" tire. IMHO, probably not worth the extra money. The Q3 is just the newer version of the Q2. Somehow or another, they worked in some carbon fiber. My buddy rode one on Sunday and loved it. My rear tire lasted longer than expected. I got my suspension setup when it was installed. I think that is making the tire last longer. Anyways...I might ship the Q2 back and trade for a Q3, although I can't really out-ride the Q2. The Q2/Q3 are Dunlop's equivalent to the 2ct.

Got back into my workout routine. Down 5lbs last week trading fat for muscle. Now to shed a few more before this weekend @ VIR :D
I bonked after lunch on Sunday. I need to get into a better fitness routine. Today I feel like I've been in an MMA match. Until I started, I had no ideas track riding was so physical.

Congrats T. I sadly am not starting my season this weekend like planned. Once again some terrible financial misfortunes have hit my wife and I. She got my TPM FT membership for my bday and its not looking good for using it this year.

I couldnt be more depressed about it.
Bummer, that sucks.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
GP-As

:shifty

:hmmm:
The next-generation Supersport race tire developed and manufactured in the USA to specifically meet the needs of American racers and sportbike riders.
MT Multi-Tread compound gives the D211 GP-A rear tire unparalleled grip, excellent drive out of corners and superior on-track handling.
Jointless Band (JLB) rear-tire construction reduces tire growth for cooler running and enhanced grip.
AMA Spec Tire chosen for the 2010 & 2011 racing season. Excellent Track Day tire.

Yeah, probably not any better than the Q tires. :headshake

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I have been to one track day since I have had the GSXR. Did not hit redline in first gear.( part rider fault) The tracks around here are all small.

So I just made an offer and it looks to be going ahead for this.

I know its not a GSXR, but this is the only bike forum I really post on:0001136745-huh:

I wont see it for a while, to busy with the job and its nearly 3000km away, but much cheaper than anything up here and I need to go go down that way in a car soon any way.

Its done 1000km 2012 model. It will be a straight race bike, tracks are 2 hrs, 3.5 hrs and 7 hrs away.

Someone said on here recently that 50 is the new 30, well I am one of them:bounce

Attachments

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

I know its not a GSXR, but this is the only bike forum I really post on:0001136745-huh:

Its done 1000km 2012 model. It will be a straight race bike, tracks are 2 hrs, 3.5 hrs and 7 hrs away.

Someone said on here recently that 50 is the new 30, well I am one of them:bounce

:cool:

Nice gettin' back to your roots, mate! :thumbup:

Most of the tracks around my area are about 4-5 hours drive, but worth it! :biggrin:

·
Registered
260 Posts

:hmmm:
The next-generation Supersport race tire developed and manufactured in the USA to specifically meet the needs of American racers and sportbike riders.
MT Multi-Tread compound gives the D211 GP-A rear tire unparalleled grip, excellent drive out of corners and superior on-track handling.
Jointless Band (JLB) rear-tire construction reduces tire growth for cooler running and enhanced grip.
AMA Spec Tire chosen for the 2010 & 2011 racing season. Excellent Track Day tire.

Yeah, probably not any better than the Q tires. :headshake
Dear Mr. Steve,

1. I didn't say the D211 GP-A wasn't "any better than the Q tires." I said "IMHO, probably not worth the extra money." Maybe I should have clarified and stated "not worth the extra money for my riding pace and without tire warmers."

2. Don't just read Dunlop's marketing department's product description. They make all of their tires sound pretty bad ass. I'm pretty convinced now that the all new Q3 is the best tire on the friggin' planet : )

"Meet the all-new Dunlop Sportmax Q3, the next-generation sport tire featuring Dunlop’s new Carbon Fiber Technology (CFT).
Dunlop’s Carbon Fiber Technology (CFT) uses carbon fiber reinforcement in the tire sidewalls for exceptional cornering performance and feel.
Aggressive new Q3 tread pattern uses fewer grooves that are longer in length to enhance wet-weather performance.
Intuitive Response Profile™ (IRP) technology in the rear tire allows greater latitude in line choice while cornering, plus amazingly linear steering.
MT Multi-Tread™ technology in the rear tire uses a tough, long-wearing compound in the center of the tread for excellent traction and longer tread life, plus special lateral grip compounds for outstanding grip.
New Q3 tire compounds were derived from road-race compounds to yield maximum sportbike performance.
The Dunlop Sportmax Q3 offers superb grip, stability, steering feel and longevity on the street and on the track.
Designed, tested and manufactured in America, the Sportmax Q3 sets new standards for high-performance sport tires."

3. Dunlop markets the D211 GP-A alongside the Q tires. They are a DOT tire, correct? They certainly aren't slicks. In any event, they are only incrementally better than the Q2.

4. The Q3 has the latest and greatest technology and R&D behind it. The D211 GP-A is a few years old now. I'm sure the technology advancements have narrowed the gap between the Q tires and D211 GP-A. Again, I'm not saying the D211 GP-A isn't ANY better... But even Dunlop sees some overlap. See pic and website. http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire-catalog/sport-trackday-race/

5. I know what I'm talking about. I WON track day on Sunday, trophy and everything. I'd like to give a shout out to my pit crew, especially the 4 or 5 guys that are constantly fine tuning my suspension. Thanks to my personal shopper, I also looked fantastic in my Rossi replica suit and helmet.

6. I'm not taking tire advice from a guy whose first name is Slow. That would be like purchasing internet access from a tortoise. We all know that is a terrible idea. In English, "slow" is the opposite of "fast." The goal is to go fast on the race track. If you want to give out tire advice, maybe you should become "faststeve" or "turbosteve" or "quicksteve." Just sayin'

7. :2up2:

8. Regarding points 5 & 6... Copious amounts of sarcasm intended.

9. Regarding point 7, just kidding :Laughing:

10. Thanks for adding to the thread. I hope it takes off. It should be a fun discussion.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

:clap:

Referencing #1
I don't doubt the Q3s are awesome tires. I ran some Q2s [on the street] when they first came out. Great tire!:thumbup:
Just not agreeing with the "I think the GPA is more of a "track day" tire." :headshake

Referencing #3:
If you go to Dunlop Race Tire Services product page, they only list race tires, not track day tires/high perfomance street tires. :0001136745-huh:
Only incrementally better than the Q2/Q3? :headshake

Referencing #4:
I obviously depends on how fast or in my case, how slow, one goes. Also see #3.

Referencing #5:

:Laughing:

Referencing #6:
Once, I almost went fast at a track day. :D
That said, slow is relative to who shows up that day. ;)

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I'm with Steve in this thing. There's no comparison between a full on race tire (D211GP) and a street tire (Q2/Q3).

·
Registered
260 Posts

Referencing #1
I don't doubt the Q3s are awesome tires. I ran some Q2s [on the street] when they first came out. Great tire!:thumbup:
Just not agreeing with the "I think the GPA is more of a "track day" tire." :headshake

Referencing #3:
If you go to Dunlop Race Tire Services product page, they only list race tires, not track day tires/high perfomance street tires. :0001136745-huh:
Only incrementally better than the Q2/Q3? :headshake

Referencing #4:
I obviously depends on how fast or in my case, how slow, one goes. Also see #3.

Referencing #5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WjprOP9sq8
:Laughing:

Referencing #6:
Once, I almost went fast at a track day. :D
That said, slow is relative to who shows up that day. ;)
Whatever... Track day, AMA Spec = same difference :redface:

You didn't respond to all of my counter-points. Clearly, I win. This feels great. First, I win track day. Now this! Maybe I'll win the race bike from STG next. :biggrin:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm with Steve in this thing. There's no comparison between a full on race tire (D211GP) and a street tire (Q2/Q3).
Great, now I've got two "Pro Racers" disagreeing with me. Didn't you hear that I WON track day?!?!

·
CCS/ASRA Expert #77
10,715 Posts
Whatever... Track day, AMA Spec = same difference :redface:

You didn't respond to all of my counter-points. Clearly, I win. This feels great. First, I win track day. Now this! Maybe I'll win the race bike from STG next. :biggrin:
Great, now I've got two "Pro Racers" disagreeing with me. Didn't you hear that I WON track day?!?!
Nope...now you have 3, because I'm winning the STG giveaway bike :infrandom :Laughing:

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
You guys can fight over the STG bike, I got a text yesterday and I have won 1.5m USD. So as soon as they get my details and put it in my account I will have my budget for racing:Laughing:

·
Banned
80 Posts
Just booked a track day at The Ridge Motorsports Park in Washington.
Anyone been to this track? It will be the first time up there for me.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just booked a track day at The Ridge Motorsports Park in Washington.
Anyone been to this track? It will be the first time up there for me.
Never been there but I've seen some videos. It looks like a fun, fast amd scenic track. I would love to ride there. I guess the only issue would be the number of rainy days in Washington. I hope you get good weather.

41 - 60 of 2369 Posts