Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 2369 Posts

·
Live Fast Die FUN
14,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,101
Yo @Last Week I heard Bill Funk left TPM and started his own org? Any info on that?

I gotta start planning my return to the track. Also is there any AFFORDABLE race schools that hit the East Cost you like and know off.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Yo @Last Week I heard Bill Funk left TPM and started his own org? Any info on that?

I gotta start planning my return to the track. Also is there any AFFORDABLE race schools that hit the East Cost you like and know off.
I keep getting the emails from evolve about it. I'm hoping everything works out well for them. competition is good for the riders. It means more dates are available.

I need to figure out a plan for this year actually. with NJMP no longer the closest track I might have to change up track day orgs. Summit point is now the closest, but their schedule is usually really tough for track days.

·
Registered
8,551 Posts

@SRAD600 Affordable?? Phhht

Yamaha Champions Riding School DOes Jersey and Arizona. You'd be looking at 2k though :D

·
Registered
8,551 Posts
I keep getting the emails from evolve about it. I'm hoping everything works out well for them. competition is good for the riders. It means more dates are available.

I need to figure out a plan for this year actually. with NJMP no longer the closest track I might have to change up track day orgs. Summit point is now the closest, but their schedule is usually really tough for track days.
More dates? yes. Less traffic? yes. Harder for the Orgs to make a profit? yes.

It's the same concept when you add 2 new pizza places to a town that already has 3 and a population of 3,000. Guess what someones going out of business or will at least hurt from it

·
CCS/ASRA Expert #77
10,723 Posts

Yea him and Glen split. Glen is going back to having a race team as well as an org. It'll will be interesting to see Bill's version of a trackday org.

Like mentioned above, seems to be a lot more fishermen, but the same amount of fish.

·
Premium Member
8,565 Posts

It's the same concept when you add 2 new pizza places to a town that already has 3 and a population of 3,000. Guess what someones going out of business or will at least hurt from it
I'm glad you mentioned this. I was at a STT event at Carolina Motorsport Park the end of May with a couple of friends and they only had two advanced riders register.

Intermediate was not crowded and novice also appeared to not be that crowded either.

I'm wondering if others have seen lighter attendance this year?

On the positive side, with the advance riders agreement, the advanced riders ran with the intermediates and we got 40 minute sessions. I'll confess, I don't think I made it 30 minutes before I started getting a little sloppy and pitted in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
new to the forum

Hey guys central coast cali rider here did 1 track season and decided to go ahead and sign up for the afm i will begin my first season club racing in march so im pretty pumped.
bought a k8 600 put a few months on the street with it and hit a deer. decided its not the best idea riding that shit on the street ( i have my fz6r) for that so i took insurance moneys and turned it into a track bike. best thing ive ever done.

i will be competing in the 600 production class and im nervous because i dont think im good enough to podium but i know i can keep in the top 10 percent of a group.

two weeks ago went down in turn 6 at laguna. was on the breaks vs the gas and tucked the front end and lowsided. messed up rearset and spool but sliders saved me.

i have decided to try out the michelin power cup evos (dot) vs my q3s and im curious if anyone has any advice for how they run. or if anyone has any advice on anything for a first time racer.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
8,551 Posts
I'm glad you mentioned this. I was at a STT event at Carolina Motorsport Park the end of May with a couple of friends and they only had two advanced riders register.

Intermediate was not crowded and novice also appeared to not be that crowded either.

I'm wondering if others have seen lighter attendance this year?

On the positive side, with the advance riders agreement, the advanced riders ran with the intermediates and we got 40 minute sessions. I'll confess, I don't think I made it 30 minutes before I started getting a little sloppy and pitted in.
Our turn out at the local track was good all year. Our director pulled out of a couple tracks because of this exact topic. Too much competition and if you get a date in the wet you are F'd $ wise.

Yes I can do both sessions as well, and I don't go the full 40. I use the intermediate sometimes to warm up or test 10 minutes or ride with someone. Then run the advanced 20 minutes. When you go that fast it does drain you

·
CCS/ASRA Expert #77
10,723 Posts
All the Orgs I was with this year were stacked heavy. Especially in the intermediate and novice groups. I think thats the reason some orgs decided to prematurely bump intermediate riders in Advanced. I miss the days of Nesba in the SE. John Allen is doing a great job recreating it the atmosphere with PRE, and all the regular riders are back on board, just needs more tracks. By far, because of the stricter SOP, they are my favorite to ride with.

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,702 Posts
By far, because of the stricter SOP, they are my favorite to ride with.
I definitely prefer strict to lax. Had a good weekend riding with one org this summer but there are only two groups. Of course everyone put themselves in Advanced. Also followed a guy who had a fully functional brake light. They have zero tech, just honor system. Never know who is out there running antifreeze with parts about to rattle off.. I'm only planning to do track days but my bike is wired and prepped like a racebike.

·
CCS/ASRA Expert #77
10,723 Posts
I definitely prefer strict to lax. Had a good weekend riding with one org this summer but there are only two groups. Of course everyone put themselves in Advanced. Also followed a guy who had a fully functional brake light. They have zero tech, just honor system. Never know who is out there running antifreeze with parts about to rattle off.. I'm only planning to do track days but my bike is wired and prepped like a racebike.
Yea self bumps, and tech....what could possibly go wrong there! Lol!

I may give N2 another shot. I rode with them the first year they ran just because they honored some track credits I had with Nesba. I wasnt impressed, but they were new. They seem to have my favorite track Road Atlanta on lock so I'll do some events with them.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts

There is no questioning that. Most of the track days I've been to have be at have been close to or at capacity in the novice and intermediate groups on weekends (which is really damn crowded). So if they can keep the people happy and make themselves some money, I'm all for it.

The addition of Dominion raceway to all the calendars this year is really exciting. It's same distance a pocono so I look forward to testing it out.

·
Live Fast Die FUN
14,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,114
I was looking at N2 last night.

I may do a day or two with them if I dont settle in with a group since their non member days arent that bad price wise.

I need to pick a group soon and dont know what I wanna do grrrrr.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts

I may do a day or two with them if I dont settle in with a group since their non member days arent that bad price wise.

Why do you have to pick a group? Can't you just bounce around and pick what days fit your schedule? I ride with different organizations depending on which track and days.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts

Based on the schedules I think I'm sticking with TPM for this season. They have the most weekends booked and my schedule isn't all that conducive to doing weekday trackdays, although I enjoy the much smaller crowds.

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,702 Posts
Why do you have to pick a group? Can't you just bounce around and pick what days fit your schedule? I ride with different organizations depending on which track and days.
I did 3 weekends this year. One private, and the other two with two different orgs. May stick closer to home this year though and hopefully get in more days.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I won't speak for SRAD, but for me, I usually stick to one organization because I usually pay for the higher membership which gets me reduced rates and things like free tire mounting. If I paid for the membership with all the local groups I would easily throw away at least two trackdays worth of money. I just look at the schedules in advance and put them on my calendar and figure out what makes the most sense for me. In that case it's the company with the most saturday's at the tracks around me.

·
CCS/ASRA Expert #77
10,723 Posts
^This is what I do.

Whatever org has scheduled the track I'll be racing at a few days before is who I sign up with.

1101 - 1120 of 2369 Posts