Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is one light by my house when I come off the freeway that my bike doesn't ever trigger. If there is no car behind me it will never change. So i googled any ideas for this and on here a little. One I found was to put the kickstand down. I tried that and it didn't work at all. I came across this video on how to trigger them. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this and if it truly works. I'm going to try this once my bike is up and running in a few days. That light owns me so the trick will be put to the ultimate test.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/v...fic-lights-to-change-from-red-to-green-78256/

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
There is one light by my house when I come off the freeway that my bike doesn't ever trigger. If there is no car behind me it will never change. So i googled any ideas for this and on here a little. One I found was to put the kickstand down. I tried that and it didn't work at all. I came across this video on how to trigger them. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this and if it truly works. I'm going to try this once my bike is up and running in a few days. That light owns me so the trick will be put to the ultimate test.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/v...fic-lights-to-change-from-red-to-green-78256/
the light leaving my work is like that and if there isn't a car that pulls up behind me then I have to run the light...once the coast is clear (no cops) haha, but I don't have a choice

·
Registered
914 Posts
there is a statute out there i cant remember which one, but its for motor cycles. it says that when you are at a light and you are there for a minute or two and the light doesn't turn you are able to go threw the red light as long as the on coming traffic doesn't have to slow down for you. they made that one because they know that we are too light to set the lights off. ill try finding it and posting it up.

·
Registered
393 Posts
most of those so called magnets that change lights are better of used as a paper weight. a lot of light around me do not change during night hours so i just proceed through them once its clear and safe to do so.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Everyone has this problem now and then. I usually just wait for a car to come up behind me, or i just run it when the cost is clear :thumbup:

·
Registered
310 Posts
In Virginia there are metal detectors in the asphalt. Those metal rectangle in the asphalt at the white stop line of a traffic light. Since most sportbikes are aluminum it makes the bike harder to detect. But your front brake disc is steel. When I come to a light I try to stop my front wheel on the metal detector strip. This work pretty well. Most bikes stop in the middle of the rectangle, so basically the detector cannot sense the bike. I almost went the magnet route until I tried this. It has worked for me 95% of the time.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Yeah, I have to run a light everynow and then when it's clear. I was at on and unfortunately there was a cop in a nearby parking lot waiting for something to happen I guesse. After 2 full light cycles I looked over and reved it a couple of times and threw my hands up in disgust and pointed at the light. He motioned for me to go anyway. I nodded looked both ways and tore off like a bat out of hell. So if I know it's not gonna turn green for me after 1-2 cycles I will do the same and hope if I get caught the next cop is as cool as that one.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
there is a statute out there i cant remember which one, but its for motor cycles. it says that when you are at a light and you are there for a minute or two and the light doesn't turn you are able to go threw the red light as long as the on coming traffic doesn't have to slow down for you. they made that one because they know that we are too light to set the lights off. ill try finding it and posting it up.
Wisconsin did this last year. If you are at a light and it dont change then after 45 sec and is safe for you to go then you can.
Wish Fl did this but I will wait for 1 round of changing then I jst run it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Most of the time, if I pull the bike half way over the white stop line, I will be over enough of the sensor to trigger. Every once in a while, there will be one that just won't trigger. It does make it harder if the road has been repaved and the strips are covered. Last year NC passed a statute that allows us to go after waiting 2 minutes if the light does not change.

·
Registered
246 Posts
you guys can call and complain to the city. the light by my house use to never turn green as well, but my neighbor, who also rides, called in and complained and they fixed it now. Now i dont have the joy of running any more red lights :(

·
Registered
582 Posts
Wisconsin did this last year. If you are at a light and it dont change then after 45 sec and is safe for you to go then you can.
Wish Fl did this but I will wait for 1 round of changing then I jst run it.
+1

OP, props to you man, the roads up there suck!!! I am from Youngstown and can honestly say I wouldnt ride there at all!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
the light leaving my work is like that and if there isn't a car that pulls up behind me then I have to run the light...once the coast is clear (no cops) haha, but I don't have a choice
+1 Every morning on the way to work...always checking the mirrors right after expecting to see the lights for some reason, don't really know why (am making sure no cops/cars around first)oh well whatrugonnado. Kickstand trick doesn't work for me either...

you guys can call and complain to the city. the light by my house use to never turn green as well, but my neighbor, who also rides, called in and complained and they fixed it now. Now i dont have the joy of running any more red lights :(
Worth a try...:hmmm:

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have heard that shutting off your bike and restarting it will trigger the light. Has something to do with the starter being activated... it creates a magnetic field or something. I have tried this method several times but as soon as i kill the bike and restart a car pops over the hill...so i dunno if its actually working or if the car is triggering the lights. I also try to stop directly over the sensor.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.