Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the process on this is. Basically my brother in law is a maint man at an apartment complex. He was cleaning out some of the garages one day and came across a 2002 gsxr 600 in a garage that wasn't leased to anyone. Bike had no rear wheel and no tag. Asking the manager what he wanted to do with it he said I guess just call someone and have it hauled off so he asked if he could just keep it and the guy said sure. Obviously he doesn't have a key for it so he doesn't know if it runs or what the mileage is and he can't get it keyed until he gets the title. Although it might be possible to get a key for it if you told a shop it was a bike you were using as a track bike and it had no title. He called me tonight and asked if I wanted the bike ( I'm assuming he wants some cash for it ). I was thinking about offering him $500 and just seeing what he says. Without a title, rear wheel or key its worthless really. But if I can get the title and it runs all I need is the rear wheel. There is no damage to the bike and it's pretty clean from what I've seen. What do you guys think.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'd say you came across quite the deal.

I think you just need a bill of sale and then take that to the DMV.

I'm not 100% sure though.

·
rotaredom
9,582 Posts
i think if nobody knows the owner of the bike and it has a vin#, before you go giving a penny....run the vin through the dmv or cop shop to make sure it isnt stolen...hard to believe that someone would just dump a bike in a garage and forget about it :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
The only potential problem is if the bike turns out to be stolen or some other legal problem such as a lien on the title (unlikely if it's an 02). It seems odd to me that someone would simply abandon a near-mint 02 600 without a rear wheel unless they were doing something they shouldn't have been doing. You might try calling the DMV or the PD with the VIN to see if anything comes up on their system before trying to get it titled.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think if nobody knows the owner of the bike and it has a vin#, before you go giving a penny....run the vin through the dmv or cop shop to make sure it isnt stolen...hard to believe that someone would just dump a bike in a garage and forget about it :thumbup:
That's what I was thinking. I couldn't understand why anyone would leave it. Even without a rear wheel if you had the title and the key and it runs it's worth at least 2,000. I was thinking maybe if the guy had another bike but didn't have cash for a new tire or something he could have just swapped out the rear wheel&tire but if he moved why wouldn't he have taken the bike with him.

·
rotaredom
9,582 Posts
That's what I was thinking. I couldn't understand why anyone would leave it. Even without a rear wheel if you had the title and the key and it runs it's worth at least 2,000. I was thinking maybe if the guy had another bike but didn't have cash for a new tire or something he could have just swapped out the rear wheel&tire but if he moved why wouldn't he have taken the bike with him.
give the coppers a call, if its clean you might be able to get a sherrifs title. but for a 2002, i would say there is a pretty good chance its stolen, or the owner claimed it stolen to the insurance company and dumped/abandoned it cause he couldnt afford it or whatever...either way Cody, sounds fishy bro

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
give the coppers a call, if its clean you might be able to get a sherrifs title. but for a 2002, i would say there is a pretty good chance its stolen, or the owner claimed it stolen to the insurance company and dumped/abandoned it cause he couldnt afford it or whatever...either way Cody, sounds fishy bro
So what if it was stolen what then? Who gets the bike I'm guessing police impound will they pick it up because i'm not going to just deliver it to them.

Someone told me I could buy a frame for an 01-03 he said alot come with the title and you could just swap everything to that frame and get it tagged with that vin.

·
rotaredom
9,582 Posts
So what if it was stolen what then? Who gets the bike I'm guessing police impound will they pick it up because i'm not going to just deliver it to them.

Someone told me I could buy a frame for an 01-03 he said alot come with the title and you could just swap everything to that frame and get it tagged with that vin.
if its stolen it will probably go back to the insurance company or the owner if it wasnt insured etc.

i wouldnt switch anything or do anything, dont even move it till its confirmed not stolen and clear...you could possibly get in a world of shit if its stolen...

i am sure your hopes are up cause its a free bike and all, but do the right thing so it doesnt come back and bite you is what i am sayin...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if its stolen it will probably go back to the insurance company or the owner if it wasnt insured etc.

i wouldnt switch anything or do anything, dont even move it till its confirmed not stolen and clear...you could possibly get in a world of shit if its stolen...

i am sure your hopes are up cause its a free bike and all, but do the right thing so it doesnt come back and bite you is what i am sayin...

right well I'm also dealing with the brother in law he knows it's worth something but hasn't tried to do anything with it and he's had it for at least 3 or 4 months. I don't think he has the cash to fix it up and ride it. He could sell it but I don't think anyone will give him anything for it if there is no title and you can't confirm it even runs. How would I go about getting a new ignition or getting another key made wouldn't they want the vin and proof of ownership most likely. I might just tell him I'll take it and if I do get it running and could get the title I'd give him some cash but I don't know what to even offer him.

·
rotaredom
9,582 Posts
any locksmith worth his salt can rekey the ignition/trunk etc, but still....i wouldnt touch it till you know for sure the bike is legit. the cost of attorney fees and court cost to prove your innocent in receiving stolen goods and the like if it turns up dirty..i wouldnt drop one dime on that bike.

·
Administrator
5,586 Posts
The only potential problem is if the bike turns out to be stolen or some other legal problem such as a lien on the title (unlikely if it's an 02). It seems odd to me that someone would simply abandon a near-mint 02 600 without a rear wheel unless they were doing something they shouldn't have been doing. You might try calling the DMV or the PD with the VIN to see if anything comes up on their system before trying to get it titled.

any locksmith worth his salt can rekey the ignition/trunk etc, but still....i wouldnt touch it till you know for sure the bike is legit. the cost of attorney fees and court cost to prove your innocent in receiving stolen goods and the like if it turns up dirty..i wouldnt drop one dime on that bike.
This is all very good advice Cody and you would do well to take it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll update and let you guys know how it works out. I've got to get the vin from my brother in law and call the sheriffs office so they can first see if it is stolen. If it's not then they will try to contact the previous owner listed on title. From there they weren't too clear on what happened but hey it's worth making a couple calls. Right now I can't get in any trouble because the bike is at his house and it's going to stay there until we figure out if it's stolen or not.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
Run the VIN to see if it's stolen. If not stolen you need to find out if the bike still has a lien on it (since it's a 2002 it probably doesn't but you need to know for sure). If no lien, then check with your state about applying for a bonded title. Bonded titles basically will do the searching for the last known owner/lien holder for you. After the required waiting period, the bonded title can become a clean title.

·
Registered
95 Posts
There is so many optinons here! maybe a young guy bought the bike and was keeping it secret and maybe he died!! maybe hes in jail! maybe he got screwed by his wife in a divorce and she just left the bike there! maybe money wasnt all that important! theres hundreds of reasons y it coulda been there! not just its probally stolen!!!! But i would still check it out!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Run the VIN to see if it's stolen. If not stolen you need to find out if the bike still has a lien on it (since it's a 2002 it probably doesn't but you need to know for sure). If no lien, then check with your state about applying for a bonded title. Bonded titles basically will do the searching for the last known owner/lien holder for you. After the required waiting period, the bonded title can become a clean title.
This is what I'm hoping for. Guy could have moved out of state or something and it might not be worth coming to get. Where is the vin at on a 2002 I'm guessing on the frame somewhere

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
This is what I'm hoping for. Guy could have moved out of state or something and it might not be worth coming to get. Where is the vin at on a 2002 I'm guessing on the frame somewhere
VIN is on the neck of the frame and on the plate on the left side of the frame

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hey Cody how bout an update on what happen with that bike??

This might be a little late, but anything left in apartments and storage sheds and things like that become property of the place after so long or has to be publically auctioned. Depends on local laws and lease/rental contract.

Not sure what all paperwork and that it would take to make legit tho.

I am an idiot and just realized this thread is 15 months old not 3 months.:damn:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.