Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well we finally desided to lay down the cash to buy some bikes. shes getting a gsxr600 and im looking for the same. its nice to see that there are some helpful people on here who dont just rag on the new guys. well i got some questions. she needs the bike lowered and i have no idea what she needs to get to lower it. shes 5'5'' and doesnt feel comfortable on her tiptoes so she wants to lower it about 2 inches or so i think. what parts should we have the shop get to lower it. and about how much will it cost? thanks for all your help and i hope that we'll get to ride with some of you soon

·
Registered
249 Posts
:welcome: you can get straps for the front end and links for the rear dont forget to get anew kickstand or cut some off of yours the bike stand s more upright

·
Registered
764 Posts
:welcome: someone please correct me if i'm wrong but the salesman at my local suzuki dealer told me that one can actually drop or pick up the bike 2". Just by adjusting the spring. I'm new to bikes so I really don't have a clue on if he was right or not.

kre8

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
:welcome: To the site man good choice on the zuk! :thumbup:
kre8 said:
:welcome: someone please correct me if i'm wrong but the salesman at my local suzuki dealer told me that one can actually drop or pick up the bike 2". Just by adjusting the spring. I'm new to bikes so I really don't have a clue on if he was right or not.

kre8

You definatly can't raise the bike 2 inchs, but the drop seems a little excesive for just changing the preload. I would think about an inch is feesable. But if you get the adjustable dogs and just lower the triple clamps on the forks you can get a couple inches out of that.

You definatly don't want to use straps to lower the bike fir street riding. You will loose all your suspension travel and the road is where you really need it.

·
Premium Member
1,000,000,259 Posts
Was she wearing flat shoes?

I am 5'5" and I can touch the ground fine withn I have my boots on...

Just something to think about

But I do have an older bike so I don't know the difference in the seat height

·
Registered
532 Posts
Welcome to the site and enjoy the new rides.... I feel your pain too, my wife is a shorty and has to have bikes lowered for her... and I don't know about your area, but all the shops I have been to have said that they can't do suspension lowering as part of the contract with Suzuki....may be worth asking bout... till then be safe :thumbup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
the best way to lower her bike is with the adjustable rear links and then sliding it through the tripple clamps. you dont have to slide it much to get a big difference in height. do not let them take out all of your front or rear preload as that greatly affects the way the bike will handle. also i agree dont put a strap on the front for the same reasons as well as it makes the bike harder to steer at slow speeds like in a parking lot. if you just lower the rear a little bit you might not have to get a new kickstand but you'll have to be the judge of that after you get it lowered... make sure that it is still stable when on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
new

well first off no we dont have matching gear :D
and our bikes look totally different. hers is in the paintshop right now getting painted. its gonna be arctic white with baby pink louis vatton symbols.(however the hell you spell it) and the rims are getting powder coated baby pink also. my bike is getting painted too and its dark blue with silver ghost flames. and dont flame us cause were getting brand new paint on our first bikes. i know were gonna drop it atleast once but the paintjobs were free because a friend of the families is doing it for us. the cool thing is that he said he'll paint them whenever we want and we just have to give him a few weeks notice. so thats a great hookup on our part. How much am i looking at to buy all the things to get the bike lowered?

·
Registered
249 Posts
what was i thinking :headscrat yeah the straps suck on the street, I was thinking about the dragstrip

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
if you have brand new paint you should get cages, it's gonna hurt when you drop it for the first time.
Get a 905 cage or something to protect that minty paint, and maybe get the cage painted to match while you're at it.

Also this thread on stuntlife has some nice cages, http://stuntlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95486&page=2&pp=20

There are a couple pics of a cage painted to match a gixxer.

Anyways it sounds like you have some cash to throw around so if that's the case it would be completely worth it to spend 2-250 on a cage that will save you so much more than that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
while you're at it...rig a parachute to come out the back of the bike (like the drag bikes), put on training wheels, have someone push you while you try to take off, and most of all wear your gear

HAHAHAH LMAO!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Dude, on a serious note, a friend of mine suggested this to me, and it worked awesome for my girls bike.... Take the seat off and strip the vinyl off of it, should be just staples, then shave out a couple of inches out of the foam. Get it re-covered, and put it back on. The reason I did this for hers is, not matter how little you lower the bike, it's going to affect the way that it handles. This way, nothing changes and she can touch the ground better. I got this tip from a friend of mine that owns a custom chopper shop. He does it all the time.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I agree with gixxer1k. The mod to the seat and it very simple. Do a search on here and you should find a thread. If you don't find one start a thread and more than one person will tell you how to do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts