Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys and gals, I have looked and could not find a definitive answer in regards to this?? Here is the deal. I am a new rider, bought a 04 GSXR 600 in Sept 04, which is progressively learning. I realize I’m not going to be putting a knee down anytime soon however, the question/problem I have is that due to years of computer work, I now have to wear glasses and my vision, at least at night and w/ depth is not up to par. Of course, I am scheduled to see doc again before spring but, after reading multiple books and reviews on Target Fixation, I am finding that is not my problem for the certain lack of trust in my front tire. Rather, seems I just cannot focus with my peripheral vision and with rapid movements. Example, going through the turn and seeing things in and out of focus through my glasses. I was wondering if any other riders have to wear glasses and have experienced these problem?? And if there is a solution? Or am I still Target Fixating??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Target fixation is more looking at and locking on to a certain target. Like stairing at a car or telephone pole. It doesn't sound like you have this problem it just sounds as if you are looking thrue the side of your glasses were there is no lens or something like that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, they are smaller glasses. didn't know if contacts or different style would help or if the prob was deeper rooted? I'm really slow at the beginning, then when close to or at the apex, I then realize that I have slowed too much and can take the turn far quicker than I am going. Of course, I then throttle up and accellerate far faster out of the turn. Chicanes bother me too right now, the back and forth is fun but, its confusing what I see or rather what I can't see. Any adv??

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Contacts would help a lot with the vision thing, you'd be able to see 20/20 or whatever everywhere, not just where the glasses where. And it sounds like practice is what's going to help you with cornering, as with all of us.
Just getting used to the bike and the turns and your own limits is going to help you a lot

·
Registered
314 Posts
Contacts

I wear contacts whenever I ride- I tried with glasses but it always seem like something was a problem. i.e. fogging, smearing, didn't feel right with helmet, moved too much. Get contacts if you can stand them you'll be happier. I also carry a little bottle of contact eye drops in my coat at all times. You'll know later why.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
First of all corners at night are not safe unless the road is well lit. Get contacts and practice looking through the turns. Watch some races and you will see what I mean. They keep their heads up through turns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.