Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moderately mechanical. I have done plenty of suspension work etc on various vehicles, but I am not much of an engine guy. I swapped the battery and jumped it for a bit and it seems to want to turn over but there may be a bad plug or something. I was wondering what I could do to try and get this thing going again? I was already thinking I should replace the plugs. Any other simple fixes? Should I load up the tank with some carb cleaner and let it sit for a bit and try to fire it up with new plugs? Anything else I should try?

·
Registered
210 Posts
replace all 4 plugs, buy a brand new battery and charge it full. Get rid of the jumper cables. take the carbs off clean them up, inside and out, put them back on, change the oil and fire it up.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,204 Posts
+2. Fresh fuel & clean the fuel filter in the tank. Inspect the tires for rot as well once you get it fired up. Post up pics of this magical find ya lucky bastid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here it is. Been sitting in my yard for a couple years now with a pretty bad cover and its still in astonishingly decent condition, considering;

·
Registered
431 Posts
You know if you don't wanna bother with it. I'd would definetly not say no if you wanna pass it on for free. :biggrin:

But if you do want to bother with it the advice here has been solid in my book it cranks which is the best sign. Just fresh gas, fresh oil, hot battery, and be plugs. Should be good to go after that

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bringing this back to life;

So, a new battery, $300 carb clean, $200 gas tank reseal, new plugs, new jet needles, and new plug caps later... it wont idle.

The guy I paid to do the carb clean swears the pilot jets were clean when he bolted it back in there, but everything I am reading seems to lead to pilot jets. I am out of budget on this thing, so anything else going forward I am doing myself. Can somebody point me in the direction of a carb removal and tune thread?

·
Premium Member
10,050 Posts
Bringing this back to life;

So, a new battery, $300 carb clean, $200 gas tank reseal, new plugs, new jet needles, and new plug caps later... it wont idle.

The guy I paid to do the carb clean swears the pilot jets were clean when he bolted it back in there, but everything I am reading seems to lead to pilot jets. I am out of budget on this thing, so anything else going forward I am doing myself. Can somebody point me in the direction of a carb removal and tune thread?
Try the search function in the upper left corner of the page and see what you can find. I would think there will not be much info though as these bike have been fuel injected for...what like the past 15 years? lol
Good Luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been googling like crazy but never find specifically what I am looking for, just close.

regardless, today I spent about five hours on it. Pulled the carbs off and cleaned the pilot jets, after it at least attempted to idle. So I called dynojet and they said replace the main jets with the dj106 ones they provided. Again, closer! Then I messed with the fuel mixture some. On loosening it about 3.5 turns (as opposed to the recomended 2.5) it will idle all day long. HUZZUH! The thottle is tricky and hesitates to about 2k, but once up there it revs to redline with no stutters or anything. I just need to figure out the idle hesitation now... any ideas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts