Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I got the motorcycle bug a couple months ago. I took the MSF course and began shopping.

As a new rider that was looking for a 1st bike - I read through all the advice everybody had on various forums. I spoke with lots of friends that ride and weighed their input.

I ended up going with an '02 Suzuki SV650s. I've had it about a month now and have put about 650 miles on it.

I'm wondering.. at what point would someone normally be "ready" for a GSXR 600? :) I'm not saying that I have my SV650s mastered and am doing wheelies and all that (lol) - I just bought the SV650s as a sort of 'intro to gsxr'.

I guess what I'm asking, is At what point will I have 'fulfilled the prereq' to a gsxr :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
When you understand throttle control. Once you're comfortable using the throttle to accelerate, maintain, AND decrease speed as opposed to just accelerate, I'd say you're ready.

·
Registered
552 Posts
When you feel comfortable on the bike in any situation then your probably ready to upgrade. Once you feel youve gained enough experience and are ready for a new challenge. Its more of a personal thing. I dont get why your asking us?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I personally would ride the SV thru August, sell it, and purchase a GSXR this fall or winter when the craiglist prices and the new prices (for the 09s when the 10s come out) go down a bit.

Start shopping around now to get some ideas.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Nater hit the nail on the head... keep the SV for a bit longer.. 650 miles is nothing for a new rider... you could be a "natural" and I wouldnt think that youre riding that bike to its potential... not many riders (myself being at the top of that list) will ever ride what we own now to its potential. Above all else, do what is safe and right for you.. but thats my opinion. Good luck and I am glad your enjoying being up on two!

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
those are great bikes. keep her and ride the shyt of it for a yr or so. as you called it ''bit by the bike bug'' this bug will bite ur ass if your not ready for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I'm looking to this forum as a way to ask more experienced riders what they think. Especially after reading through the sticky threads about having a gsxr as a first bike. Threads like that one had me go the SV route.

Ok.. in terms of my comfort level, throttle control and braking.

Wildatheart asked if I've been using the throttle to control accelerate, maintain speed, and break. Answer: yes. :) I learned pretty quickly that the throttle/transmission on this bike is 'grabby' when you let go of it. I use a mixture of that, down shifting and brakes to slow down.

Tro1086 - in terms of my comfort level in any situation... I am having such a blast on this thing. I ride it to work and back a few days a week with my laptop backpack on.. I am more comfortable with it off, though :) I take it out at night and on the weekends and feel a huge weight lifted haha.

Ricanhavoc/dangles - I've taken then 1st of 3 classes provided by aztrackday.com - "Body Position and Vision" and am scheduled to take 2 and 3. Gonna try out a few track days after that. I haven't learned to 'drag a knee' YET, but I will, soon.

Nater - I completely agree. I'm not all in a super rush to upgrade. I just want to know that I'm not making a rash decision and upgrading too quick for my own good. I might give it a year or so.

There are just a couple things I don't like on the bike. I don't really like that 'naked' look.. I really like the look of the Blue/White gsxr. I'm tempted to put fairings on this bike to give it more of that super sport look, except that's money I'd be dumping into a bike that I might not end up keeping.

Also, I went to this trackday clinic where they adjust your suspension and your clutch/brake inputs to make them fit YOU. They mentioned the SV's have a common problem with the stock front fork being too bouncy and that if I really wanted this thing to behave well, I should put $450 in to getting that taken care of. So that's another $450 to put into a bike that I might not want to keep long term.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I wouldnt worry about the suspension on your SV unless you plan to keep it or start getting into serious track days with it. If your just gona use it as a learner bike dont worry about dumping money into it much besides maintnence.

As far as when to buy a GSXR. Its more up to you and your confidence level on a bike. Id say once you feel comfortable riding the bike and using the clutch/shifting/gas/brakes, riding in traffic, riding twisty roads, riding in rain/wet conditions. Once you feel comfortable with all that then you will probably be fine on a gixxer. To me, your fist bike is mostly just to "pop your riding cherry", and get you comfortable on two wheels. Once you feel comfortable and confident on a motorcycle you will be fine on a GSXR.

I dont understand why people are so scared of sport bikes. The bike will only do what you tell it to, just like any other bike. I think sport bikes are easier to ride than a lot of bikes, they are light, easy to ballance, have nimble handeling. The ONLY thing more dangerous about a sport bike is the power. And on a 600 or even a 750 the power really isnt that dangerous.

If you feel comfortable and confident on your SV then you will handle a 600 just fine. Like someone else mentioned. I would keep the SV atleast till the end of the season, bikes are cheaper to buy in the off season then in summer. If you think you want a brand new bike wait till the 2010's come out, if you like then get one, if not find a left over 09' for cheap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tro1086 - thanks for the input :)

I haven't had to ride in rainy conditions (yet) - I've been checking the weather before days I ride to work to ensure its actually NOT raining.. if it is raining/cloudy, I've been riding my car into work.

As far as twisty roads, I haven't exactly taken it out to tortilla flat, but there are a few semi-twisty roads in the phoenix area. I got the counter-steering down pretty good.

I DO feel confident on the highway. I don't drive like a jackass, but I merge into the carpool lane without issue and have no problem passing or letting others pass based on the scenario.

The thing I'm a bit sketchy on still is u-turns and really tight turns in parking lots. Getting better every day though.

·
Registered
552 Posts
For the real tight U turns. If you lean your body towards the OUTSIDE of the turn, you can lean the bike into the turn more, and turn sharper than if you try to lean with the bike. Basically keeping your body upright while the bike is leaning. Then you can lean the bike sharper and turn sharper. This is only for real low speed cornering thou, like doing u turns or manuvering in a tight area. Anything more then a few mph and this is probably not the best technique. Basicly in a low speed corner, the more you lean the bike the sharper it will turn, but you have to keep your bodyweight towards the outside to keep your center of gravity from pulling you down and pretty much low siding.

Its almost the opposite of what you do in a fast corner. In a fast corner you lean your body into the corner, moving your center of gravity and allowing you to keep the bike more upright thru the turn and get better contact with your tires, and give you better clearance from scraping pegs etc.

Hope that all makes sense and you can understand what im gettin at.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got that. I need to just take the bike into an empty parking lot one day and practice this until I got it down. This was actually covered in the MSF and during the exam. It's the only section of the exam I got any points taken off (3 points for putting my foot down). Basically they had us doing figure 8's in this small box.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.