Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odo says 15,000 miles. Title said it had 11,300 on it when it was last registered in Oregon 11 years ago. I had to jump the title so the guy rode it about 3600 or so before he parked it and let it sit. I know it sat 5 years best of my knowledge, maybe more who knows.
Someone tried to steal it and destroyed the ignition. We loaded it in my truck with a tractor and I had to remove the upper tree with the bike in my truck since the column was locked.
Replaced full lockset with a $250 used OEM ebay set.

Full service and added some parts. Purrs like a kitten.

Cold starts perfect and hot starts no problem, clutch is good, oil looked great.

Tank was clean no rust and primed easy. No leaks at the pump.

OEM rad hoses are shot I have trickle leaks.

Plugs were golden brown.

All the electrical checks out.

Now to get the brakes un-seized, tires mounted, chain and sprockets. Basically I am replacing most of it.

IMG_20210403_145744_836.jpg

Possibly rebuilding calipers or cylinders if needed though.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Nice find! What year/model is it?

Sounds like you’ve got the very fine tooth comb to go over the bike with.

Can’t wait to see her ready for the road/track.

·
SuperMod of the North
27,724 Posts
From the look of the marbling on the rear tire I had wondered if it had been tracked before it was stored. Has aftermarket engine cover so maybe. Hard to say.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a K5 GSXR 1000.

I was thinking the same thing about the track however the covers, rearsets etc etc I just installed.

It has some minor cosmetic things but appear to be related to being dropped in a parking lot type of blemishes. Im super super excited about it though and I will probably end up putting my R1 up for sale as a result.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Holy Guacamole- Holy Grail Find!!!

Did it sit w/ gas in in those 5 yrs? You've already stated/checked all the important things.
Where did you get those casings? Asking for a friend LOL

Congratulations. You do you what you have there, right? A K5 Liter? I'm getting a hard on thinking about mine- it's in my garage atm.

Stick around this forum, teach and learn, etc.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looked to me the gas had been drained, like the whole thing was prepared for storage, but then sat much longer than was anticipated by whoever did it.

I got the cases from the UK , i think directly from GB racing ill have to double check.

I been riding street about 17 years, had a few carburated SRADS, Honda, Yamaha about 7 in all. I dont mess with carb bikes anymore but Ive always wanted a k5 1000 not long after I got on 2 wheels.

I got my preferred setup going on this one now,
Bonamici rearsets
Asv levers
Antigravity battery
GB cases
Galfer lines and pads
Motul fluids
Michelins
Vortex rings and EK chain
probably get another scotts damper mount and swap the damper from my R1

There's alot i dont know, but some things im pretty handy with. Im a finish carpenter by trade so I really enjoy detail work and process's i guess haha
I love to learn stuff too so thats the main reason I wanted to jump on a forum again.

·
SuperMod of the North
27,724 Posts
Finish carpenter, master of the dark voodoo magic that is crown mouldings. I hate that shit. Love it but hate it.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finish carpenter, master of the dark voodoo magic that is crown mouldings. I hate that shit. Love it but hate it.
Haha I do alot of trim but ive been installing various door and jambs for the last 3 years primarily and alot of commercial locksets and entry systems :D

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: loaded the brake reservoir to the max and went nuts with the lever, bunch of gel came out kept going and then switched to the master kept bleeding and voila we have good calipers. Assuming I have the same luck in the back looks like were ready to put some new lines on.

Rode it down the street everything felt/looked ok had good grab on the front end

·
Registered
796 Posts
Nice find!
I was going to say something about the case savers too lol.
I know those particular kind aren't cheap.
Moto Mummy used to carry them.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
It looked to me the gas had been drained, like the whole thing was prepared for storage, but then sat much longer than was anticipated by whoever did it.

I got the cases from the UK , i think directly from GB racing ill have to double check.

I been riding street about 17 years, had a few carburated SRADS, Honda, Yamaha about 7 in all. I dont mess with carb bikes anymore but Ive always wanted a k5 1000 not long after I got on 2 wheels.

I got my preferred setup going on this one now,
Bonamici rearsets
Asv levers
Antigravity battery
GB cases
Galfer lines and pads
Motul fluids
Michelins
Vortex rings and EK chain
probably get another scotts damper mount and swap the damper from my R1

There's alot i dont know, but some things im pretty handy with. Im a finish carpenter by trade so I really enjoy detail work and process's i guess haha
I love to learn stuff too so thats the main reason I wanted to jump on a forum again.
Great list!
* Edit- regarding the OEM steering dampers- they're actually really good- but may need a bleed and top off, or entire fluid # change.

Speaking solely from MY experience- the OEM is awesome- IF it's bled properly.
I have a thread on it here, or maybe it's in my K5LIter #2.0 thread, but, simply removing it, taking out the little bleed screw- a small hexhead and bleeding air and topping it off with 5Wt fork oil.
Or, I read many threads that went bigger (of course), with 10wt, or 20 wt fork oil.
You can drain it and fill it thru the bleeder hole. RARELY do they need a rebuild.

When I bled and topped mine off - NIGHT and DAY difference!
So now, any change in angle on the front, even 1 degree is under dampening as well.

Here's mine, a few days ago after a twisty ride. I've done a few things to it, most of which in my signature. Haven't gone to non OEM rearsets though, yet.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice looking bike,i love the color! do you have the frame recall brace or repair? I looked at mine and it doesn't have the brace and Ive got no way to tell if it was inspected. It shows up though when I look up the vin through suzuki.

I used to build custom 6061 bicycles for a small manufacturer so I'm very familiar with process for finding cracks with a dye kit but really dont want to purchase a dye kit and use it soooo....

Im going to try and get the rear brake operating tonight ill try your method.

I found oem brace kits im wondering if i should really worry about it?

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Yes, I have had the factory recall/brace put on. Actually- it was on when I got it, but yes.
When they inspect- any crack at all- you get a new frame.
They should all have the brace though.

ON the bicycles thing, I used to race USCF bicycle road racing. I know/knew of a few frame builders- Andy Gilmour in Tucson. Another in Houston- forgot his name.

** I was referring to re-doing your Steering Damper! Not the brakes LOL

Check out posts #71- 5+ free HP, and #72 about the damper.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got an Oem brace kit for 30 bucks NIB, just went to the garage to take a closer look and wow that looks like a major pain to install. :poop:

Ive used my Scott damper so long I think I will rebuild the stock one and see how I like it probably this weekend. Ill check that thread out thanks(y)

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I got an Oem brace kit for 30 bucks NIB, just went to the garage to take a closer look and wow that looks like a major pain to install. :poop:

Ive used my Scott damper so long I think I will rebuild the stock one and see how I like it probably this weekend. Ill check that thread out thanks(y)
Any Suzuki dealer should be putting that frame brace recall on- free. and add it to the VIN?
Any dealers near you?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah but I was assuming being 12 yrs since the recall i would be SOL i guess, maybe ill give a holler tommorow

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
If the dealer gives you attitude, tell them you would have brought it in sooner but you’ve been in lock up after beating a Ford dealer who wouldn’t honor a recall fix. That should motivate them to help. Or not

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Talked to the dealer, brake and frame recalled parts ordered they're going to do the work end of the month for free I'm really surprised but I've also never had recall work done.

Put the R1 up for sale today going to be sad to see her go, rode her for many a years.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Talked to the dealer, brake and frame recalled parts ordered they're going to do the work end of the month for free I'm really surprised but I've also never had recall work done.

Put the R1 up for sale today going to be sad to see her go, rode her for many a years.
I guess that if they had refused to do the work and something happened to your bike, they’d be liable.

Happy for you that they’re going to sort you out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts